Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we have any computer experts on the forum? My home desktop has died and I need to build or buy a new one. It’s been years since I played with a PC and I need some expert advice on components.

·
Registered
711 Posts
there would be lots out there but dont ask me...... it changes too quick for me to keep up with whats the latest and greatest. When i need a new one i will visit all the stores again.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

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

·
Registered
351 Posts
Greg
I updated mine not so long ago. I don't know too much about them but seem to be on one constantly - funny that.

The geeks at work recommended MSY Technologies - check out their website >> choose what you want from the website, call up and order it, then pickup.

For the work I do, I needed a decent processor, good graphics card and nice size hard drive. I picked mine up for under a 1000. Not bad given my first cost around 3500, the second and third around 2400 - this, to me anyway, was a monster I could afford. I think that without the upgrades, my base machine is around 700.

Can't speak for other stores, but the one I went in (and I did get warned) is like a checkout. You go in and line up almost immediately, its always busy, it's not a looking store, you ask for the gear you want, pay and then leave. If you ask questions, they kinda look at you blankly, then at the line of people behind you, then give the one word answers, then you pay and you leave...its a crack up.

PS. The standard shaw tower is not too crash hot - ok if you're not fussed about looks.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is sort of what I'm look for at the mo. It's for home use but I want it to be future proof (i.e. able to be upgraded). My last home PC lasted 6 years by upgrading components as needed. I don’t really want to spend more than $7-$800(box only).

I play games as do my kids no seriously taxing games but a card is required

$750 AMD Box:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz 940-Pin $143
Motherboard: MSI K9N Neo-F $138
RAM: 1GB Samsung DDR2 $107
HDD:Seagate 80GB SATA $67
Case & PSU: Thermaltake Mambo w/ 430W PSU $95
Graphics: 128MB Leadtek 6600GT $155
Optical Drive: BenQ DW1650 $49

The thing is I have been told I should wait for AMD's AM2 CPU lineup, as well as Intel's Core Duo 2 because these could quickly force down the prices you pay for your PC. They are apparenlty out this month. Does anybody know anything about this? Should I wait?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Paul thats all good advice :D

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Greg,

I have had nothing but trouble with AMD processors in most rollouts I have completed. Sure they work ok and there quick, but in my experience the systems freeze more often than Pentium processors.

As a rough guide ensure the mother board has an Intel chipset, hard drive Serial ATA type as big as you can afford, memory as much as you can afford say about 1GB, Processor Intel Pentium and the rest is up to you?

Stay away from re-conditioned unless its just for the kids to do there homework etc as most pf the pc's supplied are ex leased and 3 years old already!

Milt,

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I'm looking to put together something for my elderly mother as the old Dell I gave her just packed it in. It is about 9 years old or so. Had thought of getting another Dell as that one did so well. However, think I will try getting a few parts, putting them together with some spare bits and pieces, and viola, Mum should be on the Internet again.

·
Registered
867 Posts
G'day rawprawn, can't really consider myself a computer geek but know some guys that are.. :wink:

A couple of sites I have been referred to for cheap prices - maybe just to give you an indication of what you sould be paying for different components:

http://www.arc.com.au
http://www.atcomputer.com.au

By the way redphoenix, you are definately a geek with that much computery gear lying around!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Gents

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWXC0H7wAABnfgAAScCWAEhSAGAov7/7gIACKhqp/qnoU08p6nhQ9TJmoDymg1U/0mmlPUYRobQEDTZQgSYgXizYXzwtp3TKwuiyvzOvI0402k9lZ+y+mHUZO5M5/lydiDtTFQ9ShtaQuHtUuZ+5SLowP1iRN1X7WDXO51upqyjSpU7ZxR2IfIz/aWZF5iRAhAVRWIB8ZpQG9hCXE9OdFYfxdyRThQkHC0H7w

Attachments

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OMG :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
14,293 Posts

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWRJlJIkAABPfgAASUOWAAgAiACo+7/6gIABoRT00mj1AB6mQ9QMgNU9pI0aAAaADQIXsOIexgVsmARcdqit+e7Ej5GMFJyIgNeNJh0pyQRoGZnpub0HN/UzIpZGlzTF2qAl1ZfN474PhQr4G2e+xjIETqII0XAfDFRVgVok/F3JFOFCQEmUkiQ==

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Redphoenix, how can you decide which system to switch on?

·
Registered
14,293 Posts

Red.

----

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

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
:shock: :shock: :shock: 25/7 wemail servers, softdevelopment machinery and stuff. Gee, am I glad I asked :shock: and am I going to ask any more technical questions - no :oops: .

Crikey, Redphoenix, what sort of power do those things draw? Ahh, hang on, don't worry about it. :cry: :D

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
occy said:
See my thoughts are fairly simple, as I have thought about this for ages now. I firmly believe we should change our method of measuring time. If we had 100 minutes in an hour, 10 hours in a day, 10 days in a week and 100 weeks in a year it would make planning things so much easier.
So what happens to me with that...do I become a teenager again or have I fallen off the perch :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Occy: digital world, you are right - therefore 25/10 = 2.5 So, if something is left on all hours of day and night, say a comphuser, then it is on 2.5. I guess that makes sense.

Dodge: I wonder if we can get to choose?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts