Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IH there,

I'm new to this forum and need advise from the people with the know, I am looking at buying a new kayak (upgrading from a Viking Nemo)
If money was no object I would buy a PA14, but unfortunately it is so what is best all round kayak for chasing bream.in canals/ rivers but also stable enough to get out onto Morton bay, I guess my budget would be around 2k, any info or suggestions would be appreciated

cheers, Justo

·
Registered
85 Posts
mate if you got the time save up for a hobie i bit the bullet 2400.00 brand new outback it is the best thing ive ever bought and i use it every chance i get it is alot of money but its a kayak it isnt going to go off and re sale if you ever sell it is great! i can keep mine for 2 years and still sell it for 1700.00 plus besides that mate your going to pay a good 1300.00 for anything else and dont have the hands free fishing anyway good luck :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
hey Justo,

i've actually got a viking nemo myself and have been kayaking for about a year or so, i've only just started to fish in it and so far so good with the mods i've done to it, if you don't mind me asking, whats the reasons for looking for an upgrade? are you looking for something faster etc? or more space? just curious.

nuts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hobiehead said:
mate if you got the time save up for a hobie i bit the bullet 2400.00 brand new outback it is the best thing ive ever bought and i use it every chance i get it is alot of money but its a kayak it isnt going to go off and re sale if you ever sell it is great! i can keep mine for 2 years and still sell it for 1700.00 plus besides that mate your going to pay a good 1300.00 for anything else and dont have the hands free fishing anyway good luck :)
I am looking at spending $2000-2500 so i will look at the outback thanks mate

·
Registered
104 Posts
justin83 said:
Hi nuts, I don't mind the Nemo but I am looking at more storage, stability and speed combined, it is a good kayak but I want better haha.
haha fair call, i can see my self in the future upgrading for sure. i'll be intrigued to see what you go and what differences you find that you like etc. good luck!

·
Registered
129 Posts
If your after a fast stable kayak go the hobie.
The hands free option is priceless.

Once I fitted the turbo fins and sailing rudder it increased the performance by a huge amount.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Personal choice probably, but I prefer paddling not pedalling. No argument about the hands-free convenience of most Hobies, I don't know if they are any good in chop & slop, if you're going out on Moreton Bay. Have a look at the OCEAN KAYAKS, I've got a 4.5 Prowler Elite, which is quite large, but very seaworthy, reasonably quick, with plenty of storage & stability. I think the new ones, like 4.1 & 4.3 Ultra Ocean Kayaks look pretty good. From what I've seen, you can really go to town with features, like "game-chairs", stand-up & fish etc. ( sail blah..blah ) At the end of the day, it's really about simplicity, and enjoying the reason you actually go out there....to have a great day ...go on the hunt for that trophy fish! Good luck mate!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jhbc123 said:
Personal choice probably, but I prefer paddling not pedalling. No argument about the hands-free convenience of most Hobies, I don't know if they are any good in chop & slop, if you're going out on Moreton Bay. Have a look at the OCEAN KAYAKS, I've got a 4.5 Prowler Elite, which is quite large, but very seaworthy, reasonably quick, with plenty of storage & stability. I think the new ones, like 4.1 & 4.3 Ultra Ocean Kayaks look pretty good. From what I've seen, you can really go to town with features, like "game-chairs", stand-up & fish etc. ( sail blah..blah ) At the end of the day, it's really about simplicity, and enjoying the reason you actually go out there....to have a great day ...go on the hunt for that trophy fish! Good luck mate!
I did have a look at the Ocean Kayak Prowlers and they look the goods, I have also looked at the Viking Pro Fish which looks good too. I'm still unsure if and want peddle or paddle as I have never really had any drama with paddles but I do like the option for of hands free. Decisions Decisions.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.