Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it has been a while since I posted anything. The last post was when I met Camel on Deep Creek - where I was using a borrowed canoe and fishing baits when Camel came past in his yak. He then proceeded to catch several fish on soft plastic, pretty much in front of me. Since then we have purchased two Gemini -Feelfree kayaks so the family can explore rivers with me. We have had a few trips - one to Bingara and more recently to the Brunswick River. I have read the reports on the Brunswick River and they generally indicate that this river is a bit low on fish. We were there last week (immediately after a lot of rain), the water was brown and there was lots of debri on the surface. Having decided to devote all my fishing efforts to soft plastics (experience tells me if you take on a new technique you need to give it a good solid go) and spend a good deal of time in the yak, I was well rewarded for my efforts. Over my stay with the family(4 days) I caught numerous flathead, lots of silver bream and a legal mulloway. What can I say but what a productive and beautiful river. Out of the fish I caught I could provide the family with a good couple of feeds of fish and had some fun catching and releasing the few undersize bream and flathead. As for the yak fishing - I am hooked. the Gemini is a bit big for one but I can manage it. I used a little anchor when I wanted to stay put or the wind blew me around and that worked well. Ferry Reserve Park is a good spot as a base and has a nice little ramp to enter the river. Can't wait to get back there - might try when it is a bit warmer, as I hear there are other species to catch and I have only explored a little bit of the river. Hope you see this post Anthony.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Getting the kayaks is the beginning of the addiction Phisher, and from the sound of it you're well and truly hooked. :)

Not many people can claim a legal mulloway years later, and here you are with one just a few months into kayak fishing. Envy! Love to see some photos of the yak and your next catch.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hey Phil

Good to hear your enjoying your kayak fishing. And congratulations on your kayak purchase. I've never stayed at Brunswick Heads, sounds like a good spot.
I'll be up Valla same time, early next year. If your in the area we should we should catch up for a fish.

All the best

Ant

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GDay Ant
Brunswick has been good to me but I get it can be a bit fickle with the clear water being a challenge? Not sure when we will be on Deep Creek again but if it looks like coinciding I will drop you a line. Might be in Tasi floating flies for browns on the northern rivers - oh and visiting the relations.
Also just got a a gopro3 so I can support my "fishing stories" with photo evidence. Now need to get to go fishing!
Cheers
Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.