Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BigPete is heading into town! And we have arranged to hit Broulee Island Saturday and Sunday week, the 18th and 19th of May, this will be Kingy hunting and I did a reccy today see Here.....

Its a great spot and if the weather holds as it is, it will be a great day. All welcome, it will be fishing approx 1.5 to 2 ks offshore in 20 to 25m of water, jigging and live bait will be the go.

Naturally all this will be OUTSIDE the marine park...

Any questions, ask away!

·
Registered
174 Posts
7 sleeps. :lol:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A revision:

The Kings are moving inshore and its unlikely we will be any further out than the tip of the island (see google earth). Basically we will fish the extremities of the bait fish packs. When I was out yesterday they were right inshore so I was out too deep/far, I simply saw some boats and went over to them, no other reason.

Come on Brant, you can do it.... :D

It looks like Brant and I have a personal comp going, I mean, we really arent THAT competitive.... so far he's had the measure (literally but just 2cm on teh snap in my avatar) of me, but...how big is your best Mako Brant?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I'll be trying to be there for at least one day... I've launched there heaps when I used to use a geriatric surf board and fished the rocks a lot as well but I've never fished it from the yak...

count me in

John

·
Registered
174 Posts
john316 said:
I'll be trying to be there for at least one day... I've launched there heaps when I used to use a geriatric surf board and fished the rocks a lot as well but I've never fished it from the yak...

count me in

John
I used to use an old long board to hunt bass up Coochin Creek Qld back in the late 80s. Everyone figured i was just young and stupid but seems not only me :lol: . Caught a lot of Bass back then. Look forward to fun next weekend.

·
Registered
174 Posts
GE shows it as a headland not an actual Island ???? or has it broken through since the GE shot. Looking at GE of the whole area is driving me crazy :shock: . Want to pack up and move to the coast.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mate it's an isthmus was separate once but has filled in.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Looks good guys, If i can wrangle the time off, I might head down and join in the fun!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dru said:
Hey guys, very interested in this. Might make Saturday - work and weather dependent. Where is the launch point?
Hi Dru, perfect launch site at the North end of Broulee Beach, a gutter runs out to sea right from the car park. Look forward to meeting you.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Broulee today, massive baitball/cloud being attacked by a few Kings I had 3 hits today but no lenghy hook ups.... unless you count the damn Albatross :shock:

I reckon this mass of bait was 200m wide, I sat off its edge for a bit drifting live slimeys down and had 3 takers, unfortunately the method of rigging the fish seems to be the culprit, all were surgically removed from the hook after a massive whack, next time Ill use a stinger hook.

Kings on the bait.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
OK Artie, here's the plan. I need you out there 24/7 with a naval fleet keeping that monster bait ball ready for me.

I take it you are for this, right?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
G'day John, I'm refusing to believe it, Pete we'll keep a close eye on this but there are several lakes/estuary s to fall back on, wont be the same though, feel free to defer, you have a long drive for a wash out :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
Glass half full guys. Lets watch and see how the weather shapes up this week. :?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dru said:
OK Artie, here's the plan. I need you out there 24/7 with a naval fleet keeping that monster bait ball ready for me.

I take it you are for this, right?
Dru ill do my best but the bastxxds out number us!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi mate Im watching it, bugga! What a difference a week makes, Pete, I'll call you shortly but in the interest of safety and common sense we will need to reschedule this one. :(

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Guys, it may be premature to call it yet!

John, I see what you are saying and to be fair, with the recent changes the Willy Weather prediction should EXACTLY match the BOM. That said the BOM site is reading somewhat odd.

Using 4:00am Saturday as our base we are seeing:
Primary swell as an easterly at something like 1m (on the back ofa slow swing from NE swell to east over the week to Sat) - actually reading as nothing there close to the shore.
IDY30002_primSwell_102.png

Secondary swell as SE (obvious given the statement above at only 1/2m
IDY30002_secSwell_102.png

Wind waves not registering at all - which I read as check the wind on the day:
IDY30002_windWave_102.png

And yes BOM is summarising this into 3m southerlies for "combined sea and swell". What sense does that make? We can only use the whole of Australia map as the SE Australian interctive wave info only goes 3 days out. I think you will find that the BOM uses international offhsore data for the longer term look ahead.

Suggest holding pattern until we get the 3 day input and dive more closely into SE Australia wave maps and see how/if Willy Weather jumps (based on actual BOM modelling). Also note, while I havenet been there, wouldnt we be protected from teh southerly swell with a north launch from the beach?

Hang in there guys, we wont know how it's going for another day yet. I am hoping that we will see more reasonable swell conditions but need to watch the wind waves. Or of course the modelling is more correct in combined data and it just isnt a fishing day. :(

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.