Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of hauling my 27kg Ocean Kayak Prowler 15 onto my roof racks, I have decided that my health and back are far more important and after much pushing from my girlfriend, I have finally bought myself a Thule Hullavator.
I had to change the bars on the Subaru, as they have to stick out from the side of the car by at least 4" to ensure the kayak will not touch the sides of the car. The current ones from Rola were not long enough.
I saw it in action today at the Thule distributor near Botany and I realised that I should have bought it years ago. Swedish technology and superior workmanship in addition to a 5 year warranty doesn't come cheap, though at $1250 for the complete package I am sure it will work out cheaper than years at physio.
Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Gee, I didn't realise they were that expensive, I thought they were on,y about $700-$800 for the bits that fit on your existing bars.

Still, they are my plan B to allow me to keep kayak fishing long after I start to find it difficult to load my kayak....so long as I get them BEFORE I do something bad to my back!

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Have fished in company with 3 hullivator users and all are very happy.

Simon where they fold together be sure to have a film of Lanox [or similar] as that is where they seem to develop rust and seems the only area of concern, but an easy cure.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I think they sell for about $400 second hand. See if you find one second hand.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Barrabundy is correct. The one I bought was $675, however I had to also but the bars and the locking mechanism as the ones I had on the Subaru were too short. Hence the $1000 plus price tag.
Richo yes, I agree and infact spoke to the guy at Thule and he told me the same thing. Wash the bars in fresh water, then spray them with a good lubricant/protector.
Cheers

Simon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.