Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
It's based on sound bites. Emotive issues are just an effective source.

I still don't understand how some people can have such a negative reaction to refugees though. I'm not sure where that comes from.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
salticrak said:
patwah said:
Which parts of it are a furphy Crak?
protection against drug smuggling, people smuggling and down right bad guys. Yet if you are a rich bastard the world is your oyster, even better if you are white and middle class.
Hit the nail on the head there.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Pete
Is that the new way to catch fish? The old way was dynamite.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
ArWeTherYet said:
I've been partitioning the gubberment to put a gate up on the road to Redcliffe to stop everyone coming here and stealing all me fish..... Might have to employ Grin.
:lol:

But you can't stop Jimbo. He lives next door. :lol:

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
salticrak said:
grinner said:
across the narrow seas , karl drago and the kaleesi are assembling their forces.

the grinner is moving to the northern wall
30.06 or 270 ?
Its an air-rifle by the look of it but I think someone edited out the bit of grass any decent gun-toting QLD has hanging out of their mouths.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
thanks for that nick, does look better.

i read a book on the australian light horse in WW 1 and they apparently trained their horses to lie down to provide them with cover and also a stable platform from which to rest their rifle.

so ive broken one in and am working on a technique i got off youtube involving wrapping ropes around his legs to pull him over.
and youre right con, just an air rifle that one but actually we did some tests and it penetrates the same as a 22.

so it will be firing air rifle over him first (quiet) and then a rifle.

he's a bit spooky with noise. a stock whip had him put me straight into the fence. :), only 18 months old , so he's still a baby

067.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
Back to the topic, the amount of angst in Australian politics around so called "border protection" is completely at odds with reality.

Notwithstanding the fact that Australia should be satisfied that people are genuine refugees and are not a danger,there are a few facts that seem ignored by both political parties:

1. 90% of "illegal" arrivals in the past two decades have been found to be genuine refugees.
2. The vast majority of "illegals" in Australia come by plane, and have a British passport.
3. We are dreaming if we think that any tough guy measures we take are going to substantially influence the amount of boats coming. We are basically beholden to geopolitics and the weather, neither of which we can control.

What I don't understand is why we have to be such pricks about this issue. Surely there are more efficient and humane ways to process applicants than the lock and key off-shore or out in whoop-woop internment camp processes we have. The outcome will be the same, people will be vetted, but as a country we may not be viewed as the hysterical xenophobes we currently are.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
salticrak said:
Barrabundy said:
salticrak said:
Con right you are, the shape of the barrel at the end of the stock is the giveaway if you look proper.But man the size of the thing could pass for a heavy calibre for sure.
I wonder how good it is on penguins, is a head shot required Grinz?
Penguins are no good as either pets or live bait if you use a head shot

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
punchanello said:
Back to the topic, the amount of angst in Australian politics around so called "border protection" is completely at odds with reality.

Notwithstanding the fact that Australia should be satisfied that people are genuine refugees and are not a danger,there are a few facts that seem ignored by both political parties:

1. 90% of "illegal" arrivals in the past two decades have been found to be genuine refugees.
2. The vast majority of "illegals" in Australia come by plane, and have a British or Irish passport.
3. We are dreaming if we think that any tough guy measures we take are going to substantially influence the amount of boats coming. We are basically beholden to geopolitics and the weather, neither of which we can control.

What I don't understand is why we have to be such pricks about this issue. Surely there are more efficient and humane ways to process applicants than the lock and key off-shore or out in whoop-woop internment camp processes we have. The outcome will be the same, people will be vetted, but as a country we may not be viewed as the hysterical xenophobes we currently are.
FIFY

Also, not sure that hysterical xenophobe is the world view of Australia (far from it - Oz is generally held as an example of multi-cultural intregration success)

·
Registered
484 Posts
anselmo said:
Also, not sure that hysterical xenophobe is the world view of Australia (far from it - Oz is generally held as an example of multi-cultural intregration success)
Perhaps I should have qualified that. The view from countries who actually do take in masses of refugees and have legal means for processing them is that given Australia is such a multicultural success and so socially progressive, they don't understand why the tone of the argument, language used and politicisation of the issue is so hysterical and xenophobic.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
salticrak said:
hey dig, 80m headshot on a bunny is purty good shootin.
Could be a bunny with a bloody big head.
Has anyone seen the Lone Ranger ? now those are bunnies.

I remember soaking them in salt water before cooking, from memory if fell in to the very large "tastes like chicken" basket.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.