Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
After 2 new rods and reels under $100 per. Braid etc not included....
I have a few rods and reels worth more than $100 but don't like using them on the yak for fear of losing them.
Yes, I could use leash/s, but still get a bit "anal" about the tought of losing them if I happen to go ass up :D
have used Shimano Sienna reels and Catana rods and find them good, but wouls appreciate any input as to what others think.
I use u'light to light, though that doesn't affect pricing too much.
Cheers,
Rod
7635667_f260[1].jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The Shimano Sienna / Catana combo usually goes for around $99. Have used both the rods and the reels and they are fairly solid performers

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Have been looking for the same thing after breaking my 3-6kg Pfleuger Trion a few weeks ago. Seems that a replacement tip section is only $20 less than I paid for the rod so figure I may as well try something else.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SharkNett said:
Have been looking for the same thing after breaking my 3-6kg Pfleuger Trion a few weeks ago. Seems that a replacement tip section is only $20 less than I paid for the rod so figure I may as well try something else.
Ahhhhh, I was looking at them and wondered how good they were.
Thanks for the tip. Pun intended :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
You can't go wrong with a catana/sienna combo. That leaves room in the budget for braid, leader AND lures/jig heads etc... One of my goto combos.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Or... Trion/sienna combo. About 50 bucks more but definetly a good combo.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
[/quote]Ahhhhh, I was looking at them and wondered how good they were.
Thanks for the tip. Pun intended :D[/quote]
Nothing wrong with the Trion, I just think that I prefer something with a bit faster action than the model I bought. Pretty sure the broken tip was as result of me giving it a decent knock somewhere. People blame the cheaper graphite blanks but I suspect the reason there are more broken is is there are just a lot more sold and, since they are cheaper, they are not treated as carefully as a more expensive blank.
If I had the time I would buy another Samurai blank and build that up. My old 002X is still one of my favorite rods.
Rob

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
if i was spending 200 as a total cost, i would buy a shimano sss 2 to 4 kg stick , about $60
and a symetre 4000, about $130.

i always try to match a rod with a reel about twice as good.

i actually wouldnt go above $200 on a kayak combo.

just looking at the gear i have lost, dropped, if you're fiddling with fish and trying to de hook and take pictures, it is inevitable stuff will go in the drink. i use $70 digital cameras(whatever is cheapest on ebay) and a $200 combo is perfect.

i really rate the sss. the best fisho i know uses them nearly exclusively , and matches them with reels often worth in the $500 mark (i would NEVER spend that much on a reel)
the ugly stick gold (got to be the gold which is the higher end rod)is also pretty indestructible. you need that on a yak. too many mangroves and rods getting bent under the yak and weird angles.

i loved the pfleuger trion but broke 2 just snagging lures on snags whilst trolling, you need something with a bit of give.

i think the slightly better reels (in the $100 to $150 range are worth it in terms of their superiority over the 50 to 100 range.
above 150, i would question the "bang for your buck"

if you want to buy a really beautiful reel, the stradic c14 is the best ive used until it was dropped overboard by a relative who shall remain nameless :) . i would save your bikkies for a good reel like that but geezus, i would have that thing lashed to the yak with steel cables stronger than the harbour bridge ones. :D
cheers

·
Registered
690 Posts
Your PAs give you some pretty secure storage options although I do know a couple of guys who have lost gear overboard from these. It happens. Perhaps the idea of looking at Grinner's suggestion may be worthwhile.

cheers

rob

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

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

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
tasmaniac said:
MOtackle are selling Shimano Raiders for $89.00, at the moment. Normally $129.00. They're not a bad rod.
indeed mate, forgot to mention that one and that is a great price. very very good all purpose rod and remarkably strong.

red, the pfleuger salt, i saw it on worsterlings show and it came in a couple of sizes and had ? 7 ball bearings, i just assumed they were way dearer than that, might try to source one. the pfleuger reels are, as you say, very very robust

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mate I would go down to k mart and buy yourself a 30 dollar jarvis walker bullseye graphite rod they are rock solid and super sensitive have pulled in 60cm plus carp and the rod handled it no worries. I own two and I also own two sedona which again are rock solid quality all up 130 but for that you could pick up a sedona and shimano rod so yeah.....

·
Registered
975 Posts
Lots or rods in that price range Rod, the catanas are good for the $.
As for the reel: a bit over your price (but with a catana will still come in around $200 for the combo) http://digitaka.com/item.php?icid=9&id=837
Another one I really like is the pfleugar supreme xt. Annaconda has these for $299. I don't know if anyone actually pays that for them! The also have them at least twice a year for $99, which makes them a great buy for a reel with 10bb's!
From personal experience they survive a quick dunk in the salt if you wash them out quickly really well. They do not survive 4 days in the salt and sand, although some new bearings might fix it. The black and red one is also a great looking reel. I also have a gold one - thats the one I haven't killed. Works great, but so ugly only a mother could live it.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWWmZvqUAADrfgAAQUef/spAjdAq/7/+gMAEBENTSnkwjSaT1PRinpim1Mno1NPSH6ap6DVPTU9NTSaG0I9RoAAAANBgABoAAyaAAANBf9ddhpOBeM35ILxueRVjv6uqSsNO/WH5p88FxE4+1reaYmLuU5tM0bDpDZzjlqKhPJmxfILwyx6XoodQfoo+cXEVqxowCT6lo2UhkVuyKzmvG5FiGGtOpF93H3hHGT2BphhPAFF2W6CNhFt6nSzRSjbpDQxkKqWkfyNJd78rxZBwE00fsLa6Q4mVtxZhgqyuhdII9EyFMc6WQWlBmPBEfq1VRfa9gBFFHY9SeGPuB+SBG4NrTcRjvHQAtQYzm1LWI76zFCmr7bKOZwaTCUW1uitZDgisE1kocRgozEqmSOkn/Byt2H17pHYbyBCwznkm7yLuSKcKEg0zN9Sg=

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
spork said:
Lots or rods in that price range Rod, the catanas are good for the $.
As for the reel: a bit over your price (but with a catana will still come in around $200 for the combo) http://digitaka.com/item.php?icid=9&id=837
Another one I really like is the pfleugar supreme xt. Annaconda has these for $299. I don't know if anyone actually pays that for them! The also have them at least twice a year for $99, which makes them a great buy for a reel with 10bb's!
From personal experience they survive a quick dunk in the salt if you wash them out quickly really well. They do not survive 4 days in the salt and sand, although some new bearings might fix it. The black and red one is also a great looking reel. I also have a gold one - thats the one I haven't killed. Works great, but so ugly only a mother could live it.
Hey Spork,
Appreciate your comment. Anaconda do discount them heavily each year.
I actually have 2 Plugger Supremes (2000) which I use in the lakes and when wading. They're a very nice reel.
I also have 2 Plugger Asaros (1000) which I have in 1-2k 7' rods for trout. Again, they are excellent.
Still don't want to take them in the salt.
Might have to buy a "throw away" Plugger for the yak :D
Cheers

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK.
Well thanks all for the replies :D
Really appreciate the invaluable input.
Have just bought the "new" combo tadaaaaaa
Berley "Dropshot" Tounament Pro 7' 1-3kilo
Okuma "Avenger" 1000 reel
Daiwa 10 lb braid x 200m (off bulk spool)
Total normal retail (apparently) $430 :twisted:
Special "clearance" price $190 :D
Gotta say the outfit is a thing of beauty. lovely balance....
Bought the 1000 as they had no 2000's, but local tackle guy loaded massive amount of this braid.
The braid is very soft. Much softer than any braid I've come across. Am hoping not too many wind knots :(
I've never had an Okuma before, but was advised they are a good reel. Hope so ????
Never owned a Berkley rod before. It looks the goods. Hope so ????
Thanks again guys :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.