Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guy's,
I am putting a sounder in my kayak and have read a lot of posts relating to this but I am still a bit unsure about what battery I should be using. I am looking at a Garmin 300C and my time on water would be around 4 hours with 6 hours being a maximum. I noticed on posts that a lot use the blue plastic DC 12V Portable 9800mAh Li-ion Super Rechargeable Battery but I found this thread on a Film Makers forum that does not rate them very highly. http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index ... 83393.html
Any advice appreciated.
Driller

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
A 12v 7ah sealed lead acid battery has been the standard choice on here for yonks. They're cheap, easy to handle and not dangerous if wired correctly. They are a little heavy.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Mate I just made a Lithium Ion Battery Pack that runs the exact same sounder you have for 10hrs.
If you can hold off a couple of days I am going to post a report where to get the components and other uses you do with these cells.
The whole thing including balancing charger costs around $30, it weighs 165grams and measures 75mm x 60mm x 20mm,
Cells are over charge/discharge protected,(so you can run your sounder till it shuts down without damage to your batteries) Charger, charges each cell individually.
Absolutely craps all over SLA Batteries in all aspects.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I might wait for bildad's post then make a decision.

Cheers
Drill

bildad said:
Mate I just made a Lithium Ion Battery Pack that runs the exact same sounder you have for 10hrs.
If you can hold off a couple of days I am going to post a report where to get the components and other uses you do with these cells.
The whole thing including balancing charger costs around $30, it weighs 165grams and measures 75mm x 60mm x 20mm,
Cells are over charge/discharge protected,(so you can run your sounder till it shuts down without damage to your batteries) Charger, charges each cell individually.
Absolutely craps all over SLA Batteries in all aspects.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
G'day driller,
"but I found this thread on a Film Makers forum that does not rate them very highly. http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index ... 83393.html
I read that critique from Dino ("so as an electronics guy … I know A LOT about batteries…") Squirrel.

He tells us: "Bad news kids. If you want to seriously endanger your life, your equipment, and home, then go ahead and use this battery… Bottom line - RUN don't walk, RUN away from these things. Are a real danger with their given setup. Stop buying them, advise others to do so. "

Sounds terrifying!!! :shock:

The Squirrel may indeed be an "electronics guy" who rates himself as knowing a lot, but his reasoning doesn't make much sense.

His argument starts off badly:

"1) The battery is NOT Lithium Ion, It's lithium Polymer "

OK, so, he is not reviewing the lithium-ionbattery pack that we are familiar with here on the forum. He is reviewing a Lipo pack.

I wouldn't use a Lipo either - they more expensive, and are meant for fast charge/discharge remote control helicopters. Not suitable for low current draw gadgets like sounders (and laptops).

The Squirrel goes on: "If you don't believe me, or believe I've stated something wrong then I urge you to speak up. "

Rich spoke up straight away:

"is there not a protection circuit within the shrinkwrap? I'd be surprised if there wasnt. a cut off/over charge/discharge is standard in any multi cell pack. At this price one should expect the rated capacity to be a little untrue. Also remember this is designed for temporary cctv cams and the like. 2 amps is still useful for a battery of this weight and price. I dont know many dslr's, or camcorders which pull more than 1.5a at 12v. this battery will provide 24watts continuous (at 2a, 12v). thats a lot of light if using led's. 24x 1w luxeons will blow your head off. pulling more than 1a continuous from a cyclic 12v sla will render the operating times significantly less than the rated capacity (rated at 1a) as well. Horses for courses if you ask me. if you need 15c discharge, go with lipos designed for rc models. our profession doesnt see us running brushless dc motors at 1000w for 3 minute races very often:)"

Yep - horses for courses.

Then the Squirrel backs right off:

"I even told myself that even if the battery has 3/4 the capacity it would be worth it, but considering the draw current being so low,I don't think it comes even close"

So what is it?
RUN away, RUN away, they seriously endanger your life?
Or "worth it", if only it had sufficient draw current?
Hmm

Driller - your Garmin 300C draws less than half an amp.

My little "nominal" 4.8 a/h lithium pack weighs less than 200g and runs my Lawrance X67c for more than 8 hours. Ample for this horse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.