Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Great Vid Mark. Thanks.

Doubt they'd be able to pull that off in a western country. You used to be able to do stuff here on high rise and structures (only climbing and abseiling, not jumping!), but the liability police stopped all that decades ago. :(

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
KL is a huge Mecca for base, another is the Bridge (somewhere in the US) and then it's Norway (I think).

Awesome skill level here adapting free fly skills and gymnastics into Base.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
That would get the adrenalin pumping - especially the night jumps :shock:
Insane stuff!

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Cuda said:
That would get the adrenalin pumping - especially the night jumps :shock:
Insane stuff!
That's what I thought. Day time, no worries, the brain and experience can cope, but at night the visual clues disappear or become distorted.

Night time, no matter how well lit, reduces your depth perception and judgement in things like speed of approach. This would have particular relevance to judging when to 'flare', and by how much. Night VFR and IFR pilots (aircraft) have very stringent training for all these scenarios ... I can't imagine how the base jumpers can work this out, unless they have instruments. Maybe they do ...would be interesting to know, but it's not on my list of things to try.

I am really surprised they held night jumps. An accident would not have done Redbull any favours.

Regardless, the participants obviously had a feast of adrenalin fuelled jumps. Great natural drug that adrenalin (unless you get hurt or killed).

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funnily enough, the bit that got me was not the night stuff but the rope swing @ the end. That looked epic & definitly lit off the "fu$k that!" receptors in my brain. Even tho it'd probably be the safest part of the whole thing as they'd open further away from the tower.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Controlled environment, no threat of prosecution, no need to hurry, designated landing areas....
It seems to me to be the sensible option across the globe.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Ado said:
Controlled environment, no threat of prosecution, no need to hurry, designated landing areas....
It seems to me to be the sensible option across the globe.
At last.... a sensible alternative. ADO for PM! :lol:

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
salticrak said:
I did some rope swings off a bridge over a gorge in Africa, i could not get my head around the fact that the rope was climbing rope and not bungee cord.Absolute rush when the pendulum takes over.
You're mad Crak.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Stippy said:
Damn... how insecure do those chutes look! I've seen highschool kids with backpack straps tighter than that.
How they look is one thing, but honest there is science is these things. These guys are mostly also skydivers, and their skydiving rigs will be much more extreme in terms of flight characteristics. These are 7cell square canopies compared to the 9 cell ellipticals (or tri-cell system 27 cell) canopies they use for performance flight under canopy. They have no reserve (no point, simply not enough time to cut away the main and release the reserve). The sliders are open (that bit of square fabric above your head that the lines run through), enough to slow down the canopy opening but not enough to slow it down much. This means opening hurts if you are anything close to terminal velocity. A lot.

And they are much much bigger than an experienced skydivers canopy. At least twice the size. The harness is relaxed enough to allow movement, but definitely tight enough for the job!

Amazing stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.