Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Bait Tubes, an alternative to Bait Tanks!

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Chillihilli 
#1 ·
An alternative to the bait tank, or those sea anchore plano trolling buckets are Bait Tubes!

We use Bait tubes on the West Coast... Cost: ~ $5

Get a 2" Black ABS TUBE x 2 ft long... Buy end caps... Drill holes in the end caps... I used 5200 seleant on one end shut (this step is not necessary, the cap stays on good w/o, had extra time)

Sand the other, so the end cap slides off easy... I made a "bridle" on the sanded end.

Connection: (again, extra time, and parts, you can just tie the ropes together) I felt with this swivel connection, the tube didn't sway as much, but baits don't care about that...

Here is a closer look on the connection to the tube.

A look inside... Notice the holes in the end cap...

Connect the "bridle" to a rope long enough to let the bait tube draft about 2ft behind your kayak...

Draft:

I also put a brass clip on the end of the rope for easy attachment to a padeye on my kayak.

Keeps my mackerel alive all day long!

Here are some other versions...

Hope this helps,

Chris

See less See more
#5 ·
squid are impossible to keep allive in a normal bait tank. I put the squid I caught on saturday into my bait tank (filled with water and aerator on) and I reckon it lasted 2 minutes...

this bait tube would be great for squid, BUT I personally don't like having bits and pieces dragging off the side/back of the yak - just gives me more things to get snagged on!

#7 ·
squid are impossible to keep allive in a normal bait tank. I put the squid I caught on saturday into my bait tank (filled with water and aerator on) and I reckon it lasted 2 minutes...
These tubes work good for mackerel up to 8 inches... But a bait tank with a bilge pump, meaning sucking in new saltwater is the best for squid. I have kept squirts alive ALL DAY with my bait tank. With all due respect aerators are not much better than nothing. Bait fish emit toxins, you new water constantly to keep them lively and alive... Build a bait tank, they are cheap and easy... I use the tube on quick trips, but prefer my tank!

http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3370

Chris 8)

#9 ·
Holy Mackerel said:
But a bait tank with a bilge pump, meaning sucking in new saltwater is the best for squid.
I have kept a lot of aquarium fish over the years (and killed a few too :shock: ) . The ONLY way to keep fish alive for extended periods is to replace the water. In an aquarium, you use a filter which removes ammonia and nitrite (or nitrite?)

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/cycling2.htm

but you STILL have to do a water change regularly to remove waste products from the water. The heavier stocked the tank, the more frequent the changes are required. An aerator only helps oxygenate the water, which it does by creating bubbles which increases the surface area of the water. This is a very slow process and adding an aerator really doesn't do a thing.

Getting back on topic, these drag along bait tubes, buckets, baskets or whatever you want to use will work really well, as the fish is in clean water the entire time. A bait tank will only keep bait alive if you are pumping in fresh water via a pump or a scoop system. That's why they seem complicated and/or expensive.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Pete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.