Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody tried to send a small parcel lately?
Just tried to send a tiny parcel L 85mm X W 60mm X H 22mm and total weight 30 grams
They want $6.95 :shock:
With a little bit of effort she could have poked it through her little measurer :lol:
The item inside cost me $1.00
I thought maybe $3 ok.
Is there an alternative?

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Yes mate, i am an ebay and online seller. The small parcel rate has risen from $5.00 to $7.50 (or $6.95 if you wrap it yourself and don't want tracking) in a bit over a year. What makes it worse is that a seller in china can charge $1.00 postage to Australia for something that would cost me $7.50 to send a suburb away and Australia Post delivers it for them. We are a small business (3 staff) who spends over 2 grand a month with Australia Post through their various platforms (EParcel, click and send ect.)

In their defense i will say they give exceptional service, they would loose less than one in every 500 items we send with them.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
At least it gets there, and fast.
Canada post think nothing of taking a week to get something delivered a mere 300km away.
If it's across the other side of the country it might take even longer. Or lost.
Overnight delivery? Forget that, express post is 3 days.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Junglefisher said:
So I thought. I posted two hard drives from Sydney to the Blue Mountains (less than 100km) last Tuesday, via express post, which is a trackable premium service. As of today (Tuesday), it still hasn't arrived, and the tracking site shows it's still at my post office. I went there to find out what was going on, they told me they had no idea.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sbd said:
Junglefisher said:
So I thought. I posted two hard drives from Sydney to the Blue Mountains (less than 100km) last Tuesday, via express post, which is a trackable premium service. As of today (Tuesday), it still hasn't arrived, and the tracking site shows it's still at my post office. I went there to find out what was going on, they told me they had no idea.
Yeah I ended up posting the item I am complaining about in this thread been 8 days now and it still hasn't been received.

·
Registered
690 Posts
:lol: High rating for Australia Post but last January i bought a T shirt from the states with Turtle Man on the front. You know , one of those iconic and superbly produced and informative tv shows from the deep south'. Cost $5 postage or less from the states to me and then cost near double that amount to send it on to my brother in Sydney. Bemused, befuddled and definitely buggered on that one. Next time i'll get the item delivered directly to the recipient.

So yeah. Have noticed the hike.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
3 tripod mounts posted from China = under $10.
You seem to be able to post to Australia from other countries cheap than you can post within Australia.
We don't get post on Mondays either I have noticed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
15 years ago I was selling a bunch of stuff on ebay, locally and (mostly) internationally - the postage rates then were reasonable, and the service excellent.
These days I wonder how anyone can sell online and post anything domestically if it doesn't fit in an envelope.

Just today I sent my dear old Mum in Perth some Hervey Bay area maps, brochures and a tourist book on Fraser Island (as I've just moved to the area recently), plastic envelope (A4 size) + postage = $13.50 WTF?

Whereas, international shipping is often fast and cheap - I've bought a lot of stuff from China at the cheapest postage option, often it was delivered in 6 days. Even from the UK, i've been able to buy some tools that were cheaper posted from there than in Bunnings...

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Jeffen said:
15 years ago I was selling a bunch of stuff on ebay, locally and (mostly) internationally - the postage rates then were reasonable, and the service excellent.
These days I wonder how anyone can sell online and post anything domestically if it doesn't fit in an envelope.

Just today I sent my dear old Mum in Perth some Hervey Bay area maps, brochures and a tourist book on Fraser Island (as I've just moved to the area recently), plastic envelope (A4 size) + postage = $13.50 WTF?

Whereas, international shipping is often fast and cheap - I've bought a lot of stuff from China at the cheapest postage option, often it was delivered in 6 days. Even from the UK, i've been able to buy some tools that were cheaper posted from there than in Bunnings...
"International shipping fast and cheap"

Not so from USA. I've bought plenty of stuff from there, some reasonable (say a one kg sized Weetbix packet of lures for $ 20 postage), but have also been slugged over double that amount for similar sized parcels. I bought a Goretex jacket recently for rain and wind protection (an XXL sized one with full front zip, to go over the PFD and still zip up).

Cost - USD $ 180. Postage? - USD $ 45.

Crikey mate (WTF)

·
Registered
280 Posts
kayakone said:
Not so from USA. I've bought plenty of stuff from there, some reasonable (say a one kg sized Weetbix packet of lures for $ 20 postage), but have also been slugged over double that amount for similar sized parcels. I bought a Goretex jacket recently for rain and wind protection (an XXL sized one with full front zip, to go over the PFD and still zip up).

Crikey mate (WTF)
Totally agree with comments about US postage - mostly expensive and slow - can take 6 weeks for stuff to arrive from the US,
though when I've bought from amazon, it hasn't been unreasonable...

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Jeffen said:
kayakone said:

Crikey mate (WTF)
Totally agree with comments about US postage - mostly expensive and slow - can take 6 weeks for stuff to arrive from the US,
though when I've bought from amazon, it hasn't been unreasonable...
While on Amazon (apologies for highjack), I bought one or two items from them about 3 years ago, and now can't seem to get anything from them. I have a street address and a PO Box address, and every time since boxes come up which say something like "Cannot mail to this address." That applies to both addresses, repeatedly.

Any clues Brains trust?

·
Registered
280 Posts
kayakone said:
While on Amazon (apologies for highjack), I bought one or two items from them about 3 years ago, and now can't seem to get anything from them. I have a street address and a PO Box address, and every time since boxes come up which say something like "Cannot mail to this address." That applies to both addresses, repeatedly.

Any clues Brains trust?
It might be because you aren't searching in the International shipping section.

Try this link http://www.amazon.com/b?node=230659011
You will note that there is a dropdown in the search box - if international is selected, they should be able to deliver to your address.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
A few years ago I bought some lures from Melbourne and USA on the same night. Postage was about the same and the ones from the USA got delivered first. No special overnighting or anything involved and both packages were stamped as posted on the same day. Figure that one out...

G

·
No doubt, Australia Post are positioning for another round of the government selling of its cash cows (very tempting to add, "to their mates").

Plan your package so the shock of postage is not quite so big http://auspost.com.au/apps/postage-calculator.html

I've seen Australia Post's International mail handling from the inside. There's an unimaginable amount of mail that seems to arrive as quick as they can get the other out of the door! Mail arrives in bags, gets tipped and sorted in order of priority - Express, Air, Surface Air Lifted, Surface and probably some others I don't know. They have processing deadlines that they have to meet for every categories. To give them full credit, they seem to achieve this despite the volume of mail.

Then there's Christmas mail :shock:

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I registered on line so I get parcel updates, today I got 2 emails saying 2 parcels were on board with driver, one was delivered but the other still seems to be with the driver.
They should send him the same emails they send me so he knows what he has.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Sounds like they are really letting things slip recently.
That sucks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.