Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the question states, anybody else feel like fishing companies are just using cost cutting measures to boost up their profit margins?

Take the Sustain, or the new Sol type 2, both priced above $300 and they do not include a spool. However, the majority of the cheaper reels include a spool. As much as I like the look of my new Daiwa Sol type 2, I feel "ripped off" considering the reel was made in China. I am in the process of confirming some details form Daiwa before I will write an unbiased review of my new Sol type 2. :devil:

I know economics so I won't bore this thread with that, however, from a costumer perspective, it is a reel turn off. Any thoughts?

Just to point out the obvious,

Shimano manufacture in Malaysia
Daiwa manufactures in China

Neither of those countries have high wages, or western standards working conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Personally I prefer not to have a spare spool. I couldn't think of anything worse when having something bust u off, then changing spools in what could be a hot bite. I always have 3/4 rods & reels setup for all I may encounter.

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
I agree, I have always used Stradics and the new model does'nt have a spare spool either.They are handy to have so you can spool both with different size braid for different target speices from one day to the next and still only use one reel.You can buy them reasonably cheap on the net from China.IMO it's good to have them and yes I feel ripped off coz the reels are'nt any cheaper without the extra spool .cheers Terry ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,364 Posts
I've never had the luxury of a reel which comes with a spare spool so don't miss them.

I would find a spare spool handy for one of my bait-caster and spinning reels, I'd use it as above for different line sizes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,474 Posts
This might sound like a bit of a ramble but there is a point.
My brother is an electrical engineer who does a lot of work in research and development - stuff I know nothing about - but part of that work means that he has had to spend time in China supervising the manufacture of both prototypes and commercial runs. Because of some of the secrecy about new technology I don't talk to him about it much and I wouldn't understand it anyway, BUT... he has talked about the mega factories that run several lines manufacturing product for different companies. His comment was that even in the same factory the output at the end of each line is vastly different as the components are specified by the "owner" of the specific line and that the Chinese adhere to strict separation of the lines and there is no cross over what-so-ever. One line might be using cheap components and the next line might be using the very best materials resulting in one cheap as chips, inferior product and another high quality and expensive item. These days "made in China" does not necessarily mean poor quality.

cheers

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,410 Posts
CanuckChubbs said:
Shimano manufacture in Malaysia
Daiwa manufactures in China
This is price point dependent too. The top end models from both companies are still Japanese manufactured. The further you slip down the price list the closer you get to Malaysia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
There's nothing worse than:

a. having to re-spool before a fishing trip;
b. finding a re-spool would be handy while already out fishing but not having the time or inclination to do it; and/or
c. having to buy a second spool at greatly inflated cost.

Surely this worrying trend is the greatest moral issue of our time?! Think of the children!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
john316 said:
This might sound like a bit of a ramble but there is a point.
My brother is an electrical engineer who does a lot of work in research and development - stuff I know nothing about - but part of that work means that he has had to spend time in China supervising the manufacture of both prototypes and commercial runs. Because of some of the secrecy about new technology I don't talk to him about it much and I wouldn't understand it anyway, BUT... he has talked about the mega factories that run several lines manufacturing product for different companies. His comment was that even in the same factory the output at the end of each line is vastly different as the components are specified by the "owner" of the specific line and that the Chinese adhere to strict separation of the lines and there is no cross over what-so-ever. One line might be using cheap components and the next line might be using the very best materials resulting in one cheap as chips, inferior product and another high quality and expensive item. These days "made in China" does not necessarily mean poor quality.

cheers

John
Exactly....... In fact many of the facilities that have been built in the "lower" quality production like Thailand, China or Vietnam are state of the art as they were built in the last few years and the Japanese facilites are getting a bit long in the tooth and due to the high cost of upgrading a facility in Japan won't be getting upgraded anytime soon. A state of the art facility run by Japanese to the highest standard in somewhere like Thailand can make things just as good as the Japanese production facility. As for spare spools it can be market forces. For example, the old, old Daiwa Certate came with a spare spool if sold in the USA but nowhere else in the world and judging by the responses so far most people don't mind, don't care or don't want. so keep the price down and offer spare spools for sale to those who want them I say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JoshCarpenter said:
john316 said:
This might sound like a bit of a ramble but there is a point.
My brother is an electrical engineer who does a lot of work in research and development - stuff I know nothing about - but part of that work means that he has had to spend time in China supervising the manufacture of both prototypes and commercial runs. Because of some of the secrecy about new technology I don't talk to him about it much and I wouldn't understand it anyway, BUT... he has talked about the mega factories that run several lines manufacturing product for different companies. His comment was that even in the same factory the output at the end of each line is vastly different as the components are specified by the "owner" of the specific line and that the Chinese adhere to strict separation of the lines and there is no cross over what-so-ever. One line might be using cheap components and the next line might be using the very best materials resulting in one cheap as chips, inferior product and another high quality and expensive item. These days "made in China" does not necessarily mean poor quality.

cheers

John
Exactly....... In fact many of the facilities that have been built in the "lower" quality production like Thailand, China or Vietnam are state of the art as they were built in the last few years and the Japanese facilites are getting a bit long in the tooth and due to the high cost of upgrading a facility in Japan won't be getting upgraded anytime soon. A state of the art facility run by Japanese to the highest standard in somewhere like Thailand can make things just as good as the Japanese production facility. As for spare spools it can be market forces. For example, the old, old Daiwa Certate came with a spare spool if sold in the USA but nowhere else in the world and judging by the responses so far most people don't mind, don't care or don't want. so keep the price down and offer spare spools for sale to those who want them I say.
I don't think that people are arguing over the quality of the reels. I am sure that high standards are kept in facilities. However, wages are still lower in lesser developed countries, and more tax loopholes available for big companies. I just do not buy their justifications for not including the spare spool.

This is the exact same business model that mobile phone apps, along with video game manufactures have implemented. Lower the cost of the initial product than price gouge the crap out of us for extras that have always been included in the past. But lets not get started in this issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,464 Posts
CanuckChubbs said:
JoshCarpenter said:
john316 said:
This might sound like a bit of a ramble but there is a point.
My brother is an electrical engineer who does a lot of work in research and development - stuff I know nothing about - but part of that work means that he has had to spend time in China supervising the manufacture of both prototypes and commercial runs. Because of some of the secrecy about new technology I don't talk to him about it much and I wouldn't understand it anyway, BUT... he has talked about the mega factories that run several lines manufacturing product for different companies. His comment was that even in the same factory the output at the end of each line is vastly different as the components are specified by the "owner" of the specific line and that the Chinese adhere to strict separation of the lines and there is no cross over what-so-ever. One line might be using cheap components and the next line might be using the very best materials resulting in one cheap as chips, inferior product and another high quality and expensive item. These days "made in China" does not necessarily mean poor quality.

cheers

John
Exactly....... In fact many of the facilities that have been built in the "lower" quality production like Thailand, China or Vietnam are state of the art as they were built in the last few years and the Japanese facilites are getting a bit long in the tooth and due to the high cost of upgrading a facility in Japan won't be getting upgraded anytime soon. A state of the art facility run by Japanese to the highest standard in somewhere like Thailand can make things just as good as the Japanese production facility. As for spare spools it can be market forces. For example, the old, old Daiwa Certate came with a spare spool if sold in the USA but nowhere else in the world and judging by the responses so far most people don't mind, don't care or don't want. so keep the price down and offer spare spools for sale to those who want them I say.
I don't think that people are arguing over the quality of the reels. I am sure that high standards are kept in facilities. However, wages are still lower in lesser developed countries, and more tax loopholes available for big companies. I just do not buy their justifications for not including the spare spool.

This is the exact same business model that mobile phone apps, along with video game manufactures have implemented. Lower the cost of the initial product than price gouge the crap out of us for extras that have always been included in the past. But lets not get started in this issue.
In app purchases

meh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
Can't beat the Abu Soron STXs for value. I picked one up the other day for $125. Solid little reel.... With 2 spools!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Marty75 said:
Can't beat the Abu Soron STXs for value. I picked one up the other day for $125. Solid little reel.... With 2 spools!
One of the biggest mistakes I have done in my fishing career was to sell my Soron STX 20. It was a solid reel, caugh a 67cm kingy outside of Malabar. Just a solid reel. Where did you pick it up for 125?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
BCF together with a matching Soron rod for $50!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top