Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Any hammock campers out there?

16K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  pstar 
#1 ·
Hi all. After my last trip down the Coorong and the less than ideal level of comfort sleeping on the ground that I seem to experience these days, I have spent the last few weeks researching and developing a hammock camping setup in preference to tenting. I have now got a pretty good system that will keep me comfortable and warm in almost any weather and temperature, and it's lighter and quicker to set up than a tent.

Any other hammock hangers out there wishing to share and swap ideas?

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm in a Hennessy and I'm the one who posted that video a couple of weeks back. Love the thing. I have however had some cold nights in it, even up here in tropical NQ. I have the insulation mat now and a warmer sleepin bag so it's toasty. Perfect for touring and camping either by yak or, as I've been doing a bit if lately, quad bike.

#5 ·
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWe+WMjsAAA9fgAAQQGUACAhAEAA/7d+gIABkVT8jRTeinlPNTFN6jKGb1J5AJkBhMQQbxleBNEut0i03MFcv+nYodWfYGZoPQs02fzvF4PInoi1UsSCTBj34wwhJ2otodI1c3G3zIFPTa7hOwHAtApyYcqQTEokGAAyPX8XckU4UJDvljI7A

#6 ·
I've got a Hennessy, I got cold the first night so put the insulation mat in the second night as well as some extra layers of clothing, ended up having to strip off in the night as I nearly cooked myself. It was far better on my back than sleeping on a mattress on the ground...

quick and easy to set up and takes up bugger all room when packed...

SH

#7 ·
TheFishinMusician said:
yep, i'm one,
so is Eric.

im in a tenth wonder, Erics a hennessy.
interested in your underquilt there goanywhere, homemade or commercial?
Its an army poncho liner with extra insulation ( car windscreen reflectors). No need for a mat inside the hammock in any conditions. The hammock I made from ripstop nylon. Very comfy!

#8 ·
goanywhere said:
TheFishinMusician said:
yep, i'm one,
so is Eric.

im in a tenth wonder, Erics a hennessy.
interested in your underquilt there goanywhere, homemade or commercial?
Its an army poncho liner with extra insulation ( car windscreen reflectors). No need for a mat inside the hammock in any conditions. The hammock I made from ripstop nylon. Very comfy!
Custom.
Bespoke!
Nice work.

#9 ·
eric said:
goanywhere said:
I saw that in a trip report and forgot to ask - how good are they as insulation? As Scater said, if you've got bare skin on the hammock, the heat just gets sucked out of you.

The Hennessy is awesome. Couple of minutes to set up, then open the access hole, poke your head through, pull it down and then lean over and pull your legs in.

Best part for me is waking up in the middle of the night and taking a piss....just keep hoping nothing carnivorous is out there, or my shoes aren't directly below....but no wet feet, or getting out of a nice warm bag into a freezing cold Victorian night.
The poncho liner itself is fairly thin so it would be ok only in summer, but I put two of those large truck size windscreen reflectors from supercheap in there, cut to size, and now it's as warm as toast. I have a -10 mummy bag in the hammock itself, so I can go well below freezing no worries, especially with a SB liner. I feel the cold too so I need to be well armed in winter :-D.

#11 ·
Yes the world is waking up to the reality that our ancestors realised centuries ago. Sleeping on the ground is uncomfortable! With the benefit of modern materials and a bit of thought a hammock can be hung anywhere. For me it's a welcome revelation!

#13 ·
TheFishinMusician said:
I'm putting some serious consideration into getting a proper underquilt. Probably a hammockgear one.
I used a spare sleeping bag last few times out, soooo much better than a pad.
I went on a one-nighter this weekend at Kuitpo Forest just to get some hang time and to try out sleeping with a pad rather than the underquilt. I actually didn't mind the pad, but it's the sides around the shoulders that were a bit iffy. When I came back I tried a double layer windshield reflector in the poncho liner under quilt (PLUQ), and the pad inside the hammock as well. Best of both worlds! I find that the half-inflated pad is a nice base to sleep on in my hammock, and the quilt gave the insulation I need around the shoulders. It was toasty warm, and I found that the pad smoothed out some ridges and unevenness I have in my hammy. It's still a work in progress to get the right 'tweak' to it all. No matter, it's still waaaaaay more comfortable than ground dwelling!

#15 ·
mingle said:
What do you do if you can't find any trees?
I carry a Self-inflating pad and groundsheet just in case, and my tarp can be pitched as a tent (fully enclosed, door flaps and all), so I can go to ground if necessary. I also can rig my hammock up with just one suspension point (4wd, tree, sign post, information bay pole :lol: ) and I can use my paddle as a pole with guy lines to suspend off. So at worst I sleep like I would if I was tenting, but 99% of the time I can hang my hammock.

Most caravan parks have treed areas so if I'm camping for a stretch in a CP I can pitch my hammy no worries. Actually caravan park owners are usually curious about hammocks because not many people use them, so they often give you good spots others might not be able to camp in. I camped at Minlaton caravan park a few weeks ago, and found an ideal spot between two trees over a cement slab that was useless for anyone else. So I had a spot right by the facilities hut all to myself.

#17 ·
Niiice!

#19 ·
gbc said:
Jungle hammock on the ground without the tarp.
Is that shell waterproof? On damp ground does it allow any moisture through, or do you put another groundsheet under it in the rain? You would obviously rig up a tarp over it in the rain. I do like the jungle hammock.

It looks like the Tenth Wonder Hornet. Are you happy with it?

#26 ·
meej62 said:
Recent Trip South of Gladstone
Hammock made by Maverick Gear in Brisbane.
Weighs 2.5kg
Very Flat lay
2.5kg is pretty weighty but looks comfortable. How bulky is it? Can it fit easily in your yak?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.