Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday guys, me again :)

Just came back from the sunny bay and had a few hits...now im back home in sunny Canberra and wanting to hit the lakes again sometime this week. Any yakkas out there actually hitting the water yet???? I want to target Redfin but unsure if they are venturing out.

Cheers again for any replies :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
G'day buddy!

I live in Canberra and own a kayak!

Although rarely head out in the freshwater here, bores me to death! let me know next time you head down to the bay as I was just down there aswell and love heading out :)

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Things normally start firing again around September. You can have a crack now but it'll be a long paddle in between fish.

A proper Canberra sunny winter day is hard to beat on the water though.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm told by the Shimano website that big Redfin can be caught in the dead of winter but the guy who wrote that probably lives in QLD. Here, you'll be hard pressed to catch anything but carp.

As Koich says, September is the go. It seems to be the time even a dunce like me can catch a Golden.

·
Registered
14 Posts
New owner of a used Hobie AI in Canberra.
Finally found one in town - yay! Now I just have to find the time and weather to get her out :-(
It's not a fishing yak though, family and being outdoors on the water is my enjoyment (but the forums here are good and people nice, so hopefully won't get booted if I don't use the middle 'f' from akff).
Want to get some peddle/sail out from Yarralumla Bay or down at east basin, but it's just too cold and windy.
Looking at Durras, Batemans, JB and maybe Tuross in the (nearish) (warmish) (not-too-windy) future.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ye I'm trying to plan a trip to the Bay hopefully soon. I have fished off Durras but not in my yak. I'm trying to figure out what the best fishing rig is to use, one that is a simple stepping off point for my first big trip offshore. I went off Long Beach last weekend just to try things out and was happy with the stability, so I would like to actually hit a few known (not too far out) spots soon.

What do other people use for their rigs out in the big blue? drifting baits? standard ball sinker to hook rigs???? Paternoster rigs???? I'm not too sure and any help on this would be great.

JB could be a goer, and Turros if I can get down that far. Just want to land my first big fish off the yak...that would be awesome :) and I'm thinking the same Mcarthur, last few days here have been bloody miserable, no chance for a paddle at all :(

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
5 and 7 inch gulp jerk shads lightly jigged across the reefy bottoms around Durras/Depot and you should get a snapper or two this time of year.

Do a search in trip reports for Depot and all will be revealed. Easiest rig by far to fish with in the kayak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mcarthur said:
New owner of a used Hobie AI in Canberra.
Finally found one in town - yay! Now I just have to find the time and weather to get her out :-(
It's not a fishing yak though, family and being outdoors on the water is my enjoyment (but the forums here are good and people nice, so hopefully won't get booted if I don't use the middle 'f' from akff).
Want to get some peddle/sail out from Yarralumla Bay or down at east basin, but it's just too cold and windy.
Looking at Durras, Batemans, JB and maybe Tuross in the (nearish) (warmish) (not-too-windy) future.
New owner of an AI here as well , thats two in canberra then!! I can vouch for cold, had my AI out on Gininderra last sunday very wet and cold but great fun, even had to reef the sail! i swear the fish had wolly hats! I am thinking the long september weekend would go to Jervis Bay/ St Georges Basin for a sail and fish

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep, was damn cold out on the lake weekend before last - even though it was supposed to be one of the warmest August days ever! I didn't see wooly hats, but some of the fish were wearing thermals ;-)

Went down to Tathra on the weekend just finished and had a nice day trip up the Bega river - ok bird life and lovely to see sea eagles catch a snack. The AI handled two adults (definitely overweight - the boat that is ;-) very well. I'm definitely changing the seat though as it didn't work at all for me. I'll take the advice and look at the BCF Blueline, on sale for Father's Day. Pictures to come...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.