Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I've been using this site for some time. I have finally gotten my self into a decent yak, an older perception swing in good nick. so I thought it time to join up properly. its been fun exploring around gattekers but now its time to move on to bigger and better things.
I'd love to hear of some suggestions as to where to explore for a feed at this time of the year. I am getting a bit sick of coming home with zip lately.

Is it safe to head around Woody to the northern end of the artificial reef? Let me know what you think?

i used this site extensively when purchasing and setting up my yak and it was a huge help! Thanks to everyone to has posted info in the past.

Thanks Again

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Willie said:
Hi all
I've been using this site for some time. I have finally gotten my self into a decent yak, an older perception swing in good nick. so I thought it time to join up properly. its been fun exploring around gattekers but now its time to move on to bigger and better things.
I'd love to hear of some suggestions as to where to explore for a feed at this time of the year. I am getting a bit sick of coming home with zip lately.

Is it safe to head around Woody to the northern end of the artificial reef? Let me know what you think?

I used this site extensively when purchasing and setting up my yak and it was a huge help! Thanks to everyone to has posted info in the past.

Thanks Again
Welcome Willie to the forum. Another lurker finally comes out. :)

"Help & info"...mate, you hit the nail on the head.

Where exactly is Woody (couldn't find it on Google Earth)?

The answer to your question about safety depends on a lot of factors, such as your fitness, your paddling and re-entry skills, your weather reading knowledge, and also the safety gear you have. Before going offshore, it is probably best to make sure you are competent at re-entries. Have a good read of the safety section, where you will find a number of topics by experienced paddlers. Keep in mind that with rods, hooks and lines, add some stronger than expected wind, and things can get pear shaped very quickly.

There are a number of members on the Coral Coast (Bildad is one of those, at Hervey Bay). Maybe send a PM for info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Kayakone
Woody is Big woody Island just off from Uragan Pier its the long one between the Harbor and Fraser. its about a 10k return trip to the top of Roy Rufus reef.
as for safety I am familiar with my craft and have actually been on the water for most of my life particularly as an ocean swimmer. Fitness is also not too much of an issue but more would always be better.
My biggest concern with that location is current and the ability to drift or anchor up in 15m of water.
What I've learnt so far is that Respect for Ocean etc is most important, if you doubt the conditions then don't go.

looking forward to meeting up with some others and learn more about the thing we all love to do.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Thanks Willie. I've been there, knew the name and forgot where it was, and as I said GE couldn't find it. As you said, one problem there for kayak fishing is the tidal speed. Few kayakers anchor, as there are some risks involved, but with a proper anchor trolley setup, it can be done (some of the SA crew do it regularly in strong currents).

To me, paddling 10 km is not far in light conditions, but to some it might be the other side of the world. If you got the tide wrong, and a SE'er came up, you could easily get into bother. The last thing you want up there is to be off your yak on an ebb tide and heading for the bar as flotsam.

Some of the AI guys head north from there most years and usually hook onto some big fish. Look up Paulo's Fraser trips.

·
Registered
19 Posts
welcome mate, im only new here too. Gatakers is a pretty sweet spot, its where i popped my cherry. Ive had a paddle around tuan a bit too but only saw Mullet jumping and that was it. I havent got too adventurous a yet as im still getting the hang of paddling a yak.
I have a buddy at work that raves about Tinana creek for bass.up towards tiaro. I dont do a lot of fresh water fishing but ill have a crack one day.

maybe we will see each other out and about one day. Lada.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.