Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we are a year into it now (how time flies when you're having fun). I'd like to get some feedback on what you think and how it could be improved. The following are a few questions for starters, but don't limit it just to these. Go to town.

(1) I've noticed I seem to be including more as time goes on. Does it need to be shorter? Do I need to be more brutal with my culling? Alternatively, do people want more included. I currently cull about half of what I first consider.

(2) Are the five categories (Trip Reports, Video Trip Reports, Q&A, Safety and Kayak Showroom) OK? Do you want more? Remember it is purely a kayak fishing magazine, so no Cricket, ask Gra or any StevenM threads.

(3) Is it inclusive enough? Am I being biased towards some contributors or fishing styles? The same names do pop up a lot, but that's because they make the effort to produce good reports, DIY threads or reviews. I do try to temper this by including examples from many states, fishing styles, and some authors with low post counts, often to the expense of otherwise good threads. Is the balance right?

(4) Does it make you want to contribute more to the KF side of AKFF? That was one of the original drivers. Does it succeed?

(5) Is the simple format OK? Kraley does an awesome job putting together the smart device version. It already takes too long for both of us. But if there is a simple, low effort way of making the experience better, then let us know.

(6) Do you want a means of nominating threads worthy of inclusion?

Warning. Your feedback could just get ignored. Editor's perogative and all that.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I've never really looked at "AKFF Select", just read stuff as it comes.

Muzfox said:
I wouldn't mind a "how things work" type section. How a sounder works, how when and why you need an epirb...however these topics may not come up in threads all that often so dunno ;-)
They come up regularly, if your not sure of something, just ask gives us something to do.
For sounders viewtopic.php?f=82&t=22122
EPIRB's maybe state specific although they generally follow the same rules. http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/safety/Epirbs.aspx You dont legally require one unless your more than 2 nautical miles from land in open waters. Beyond whats legally required is just speculative and not necessarily correct. So if you want opinions post up.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Ado said:
Well we are a year into it now (how time flies when you're having fun). I'd like to get some feedback on what you think and how it could be improved. The following are a few questions for starters, but don't limit it just to these. Go to town.

(1) I've noticed I seem to be including more as time goes on. Does it need to be shorter? Do I need to be more brutal with my culling? Alternatively, do people want more included. I currently cull about half of what I first consider.I'll start by saying I've stopped actually reading it as I usually read most of the content in the forum anyway. On the odd occasion I decided to have a look I use the theory that if it's in here it's probably something that I should have read but didn't

(2) Are the five categories (Trip Reports, Video Trip Reports, Q&A, Safety and Kayak Showroom) OK? Do you want more? Remember it is purely a kayak fishing magazine, so no Cricket, ask Gra or any StevenM threads. No, good as it is but happy either way.

(3) Is it inclusive enough? Am I being biased towards some contributors or fishing styles? The same names do pop up a lot, but that's because they make the effort to produce good reports, DIY threads or reviews. I do try to temper this by including examples from many states, fishing styles, and some authors with low post counts, often to the expense of otherwise good threads. Is the balance right? I think it's a tough job having to sort through what's worthy and what's worthy and come up with something that's worthy. Like you said, some people are prolific posters and it's only natural their names are going to appear more, particularly if they put up good stuff.

(4) Does it make you want to contribute more to the KF side of AKFF? That was one of the original drivers. Does it succeed?
Surprisingly I reckon it does for me. It's a bit of a reminder that going to a bit of effort can make someone elses experience visiting AKFF that much better. It also reminds me I need to fish more!

(5) Is the simple format OK? Kraley does an awesome job putting together the smart device version. It already takes too long for both of us. But if there is a simple, low effort way of making the experience better, then let us know.Kraley's version is THE BOMB!. On the odd occasion I decide to have a read, that's how I read it.

(6) Do you want a means of nominating threads worthy of inclusion? Using the number of likes could give some guidance although I rarely use the thumb anyway.

Warning. Your feedback could just get ignored. Editor's perogative and all that.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks BB.

G

·
Good concept. I tend to skim through it to see if I've missed any good threads. I read most of the forum normally so its often a bit of a rehash for me. In a good way though. Reminds me to go back to threads I enjoyed. I also appreciate the effort that goes into it. I wish I could see the ipad version on android as I bet its something to behold.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nezevic said:
I wish I could see the ipad version on android as I bet its something to behold.
It's Flipboard now, so it's Android compatible. See the notes at the bottom of the March and April versions and see how you go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.