Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a trip report, but it is better in the Main discussion forum, as you will see. Trouble is, no one may want to discuss it.

Wary about the forecast for Moreton Bay, of 15 - 20 knots Easterly's, and showers, Beekeeper (aka Jimbo, Top Cat, Turtle Catcher) and I launched at sunrise at the Bald Hills boat ramp today, with ambitious plans for a long paddle (always trolling a hardbody lure...in my case two, to double the chances). :)

The (rough) ramp is on the South Pine, and joins the North Pine two kilometres downstream. The plan from there was a right turn to pass under the Bruce Highway bridges (M1) and down to Deepwater Bend, and so downstream to Dohle's Rocks. We then planned to paddle upstream all the way to the Gympie Road bridges over the North Pine at Petrie, and to then return to the boat ramp at Bald Hills. I haven't measured it yet (I'm sure Jimbo has), but it had to be about thirty kilometres.

Well we hadn't gone two hundred metres when TC was on ... nice tailor. "Looking good " I thought. "My turn next."

Nup. Another two hundred and he's on again with a bigger fish - a 59 cm tailor. "Bugger! What's he doing? I've got two of my 600 lures out and can't get a touch!" :(

Well off we go towards Dohle's Rocks into a diminishing ebb tide. Dark clouds threatened, but we escaped a downpour. At Dohles the tide was flooding, the promised wind was just starting to make it's presence felt, and Jimbo pulled a U turn. I decided to continue on for a kilometre or so into the current. 'We'll meet again one Sunny Day'...

Well we did meet four hours later, as I headed for Petrie and Jimbo returned into up to 18 knots of headwind and a still incoming tide. But was he phased? No. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. He calls it a 'training' paddle .... training for what? The Geriatrics' Olympics? Nonetheless he was happy, as he'd caught another tailor. Me? Not one touch.

"Bugger! Should have had more lures out."

So off goes the geriatric, paddling at a blistering pace into a wind blown distance of steep chop and threatening clouds, while I amble up to Petrie (conserving energy and time wasting, cause the tide will start ebbing soon). I enjoy a large and leisurely lunch of tuna pieces and stir fry. Tuna stuck in my teeth but not a worry. Gotta love these Hobies ... you can troll hands free, eat gourmet lunches and sip wine, all at the same time. Masterful design. BTW, I'm still waiting for just one fish to grab one of my very expensive lures.

Nada. All the way back to the South Pine confluence...nada.

Then it happens ... a couple of reel ZZZ's, then some more ZZZs. I'm on at last! Only took 30 kms and 9 hours! :D

I feel weight, the head shakes, and easily reel it in, thinking small (undersized) tailor. Holy Moly ... it's a very big flathead. Has to be 70 cms + !

You beauty! I love flathead, and this being the only one I've hooked for a year, I'm a tad excited. I can see the thread title already 'Tuna in teeth, flathead frying.' I grab the leader and hold his head up a bit to see the # 2 treble rear treble has all three hooks firmly attached underneath just behind the lips. Very well hooked Trev ... congratulations, it is big, and will be delicious! A welcome change from tuna.

I'm too excited, (here comes the uppercut) and pick it up by the thirty pound FC leader. After all it is very well hooked. It is heavy, and nowhere near done, and with a violent thrash shakes itself free by tearing it's throat.

You idiot Trevor!

Not only did I lose a very good fish, but I have injured it somewhat. I never do this. I had a net, a gaff, and lipgrips, and elected not to use them on a heavy fish. Idiot.

I sit all alone, tonight's tuna still in my teeth, sore muscles, sore jaw (the uppercut), and a three quarters empty bottle of cheap wine.

Oh, and fishless.... :oops: :( :(

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anselmo said:
Thanks Nick. That was a very diplomatic way of saying 'IDIOT'. (I'm now into the second bottle of wine.)

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
trevor and jim.

i get tired just lifting the kayak onto the roof nowdays. 9 hours paddling, good grief :D .

excellent report as per usual.
i have wandered down to a sandy beach a couple of times at caslte hill and had a paddle under up to the M1 bridge. i would estimate this at a good 400 metres and i think it took at least 5 minutes. that was enough for me.
caught a few bream around there and a little grunter.

unfortunately my hobie is starting to fill with water and i will have to run a full set of diagnostics tonite to determine the cause. i think its just missing the southside :D

i know nothing about the north pine river, and have only had 2 1 hour paddles in it. it appears to have a significant midgee problem. :D

here is the bridge, any tips? i got bream on the 2nd most northerly pylon on the up stream side on the run out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Hey Grinz there is a big hole on the Southern (opposite from your photo) bank about 100m back from the bridge. The edge of this hole is a good spot for flatties on an incoming tide as they nail the bait washed in over the top.

The pilons fish ok for bream and there is more than the occasional Jew taken from the area. Some good tailor come well into the river in the next two months as a stop over on their northward journey, early mornings and late afternoons see them on the bite.

Here is a vid of Dizzy Borg working the bruce highway bridge pilons with blades.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Trev... I'm so sorry :lol: :lol: to hear of your flathead loss :lol: :lol: but you still had the piece of tuna to gnaw on :lol: :lol: .

Cheers, Jimbo

grinner said:
trevor and jim. i get tired just lifting the kayak onto the roof nowdays. 9 hours paddling, good grief :D .
I had an early mark today, Pete, could only stay for an 8 hour paddle. ;-)

salticrak said:
What they said. You old bastards are a disgrace.
Keep it up, Salty young feller... Remember the old song... Don't tease the ol' man boys... we all grow old some day. Maybe some young upstart (such as yourself now) will harass you as you become old and grey. I will be sniggering... probably from my grave, but still sniggering. ;-)

And Nick... I agree!

Jimbo

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For all those helpful words of encouragement and sympathy :shock: , I would like to say thank you. Bastards. :twisted:

The reasons I posted this are, that it is such a 'novice' error, so to warn others, and to see if anyone else has done something similarly idiotic. For the latter, I expect to see a flood of admissions.... :lol:

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
kayakone said:
For all those helpful words of encouragement and sympathy :shock: , I would like to say thank you. Bastards. :twisted:

The reasons I posted this are, that it is such a 'novice' error, so to warn others, and to see if anyone else has done something similarly idiotic. For the latter, I expect to see a flood of admissions.... :lol:
I did the same thing at the recent Double Island weekend with an easily 70cm snapper during a double hookup. Got the first fish to the boat whilst the other rod was going crazy in the holder behind me with line screaming off at a rate of knots and tried to lift him in the yak quickly by the leader. Of course the leader snapped and when I turned to grab my other rod the other fish was gone, it was potentially just as good if not better than the first fish judging by the line it was taking against a solid drag setting.

So there is my admission Trev, are you happy now to make me relive that moment here on the forum for the world to see.....

By the way, NEVER lift a flatties head from the water ;-)

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BIGKEV said:
By the way, NEVER lift a flatties head from the water ;-)
No. It appears the tissue under their jaw is very soft. I will never lift anything again without a net, lipgrips or a gaff. Maybe tailgrab a tuna though.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Gee trev, thanks for offering me a lift to join you guys :twisted: Regardless I was on the Pine today for a very short paddle just to enjoy being on the water again. I only did the 15k journey although I was very tempted to do the proper one. I was welcomed back to the river with a catfish early on before a nice flathead joined me. It was 62cm but the fattest thing i've ever seen. It felt like I was dragging up a large branch for about 4 minutes without a hint that it was actually a fish on the end of it. I almost did the same but opted for the net after it wouldn't open it's mouth for the lip grips. I was pretty happy with that capture. I later got a Tailor but don't know it's size. I did think of keeping it and dropping it around to you but for some reason I decided not to, know I know it's because I missed an invitation yesterday. Interestingly along with my trip I try'd a new paddle I picked up yesterday, one of the Stealth wing blades. I took my old padddle with me and kept swapping between them. I was consistenly getting an extra 1-1.5 kph out of the wing. Not much but I didn't expect much, just felt like something diferent to try.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Bruus

How did you get your yak to the water? Don't ever do what I did...she was a monster (she may have been oversize (max of 75 cm in QLD). The good thing is she'll be breeder in a few months, so my stupidity hopefully means a thousand baby flatties will be born.

@BIGKEV That sinking feeling of taming a decent fish, then losing it through stupidity. I will not forget that mistake.

Your admission of a similar mistake is one of many stories out there. I don't think it is the stuff many will want to recall....

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I must admit to regularly slipping fish over the side of the Acadia by grabbing the line and when I've got them coming towards me, keep them coming up and over... have had many fish de-hook themselves on the spray-skirt... I did it twice on Friday with the one tailor... was getting the camera out to photo it when it flicked itself back into the briny... I lifted it again, but the hook came out and I was left with a bare hook.

I have also lost good fish doing the above, but probably won't cease this foolhardy act.

With fish that I really want, I use either lip-grips, net or gaff. I gaff sharks in the mouth... don't want the bitey end to be snap snap snapping all over the place. I won't use a net with HB caught fish, excess hooks being caught in the net can sometimes lose fish, so oft-times use the lip-grips, but find this very awkward when the fish just won't open its mouth on cue.

Jimbo

·
Registered
49 Posts
All right no-one else is confessing so I will go ahead and admit to doing this easter 2011 with what would have been a pb murray cod. It still haunts me to this day. :twisted:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Well Trev I've lost a pb Mangrove Jack at the side of the yak trying to slide it over the side by the leader, had the net behind me, reached around grabbed it but it was caught on the clip that holds the rudder .
So I thought to my self 30lb leader no problem, started to slide it in & it gave one big kick , Flicked off the lure gave me a wink as if to say see you later LOSER! & gone.
There were choice words spoken & uppercuts , But I know it will happen again sometime , we all F/up sometime & those that say they don't are lying.

Cheers
Killer.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I haven't lost any fish from pulling them up by the leader but I have lost them through slack line when stuffing around trying to get the net. Or just simply from not paying enough attention.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Hey Grinner, another spot close by that served me well is about where you've taken those photos from. I.e from that sandy beach up to the bridge is a steep bank with lots of fallen timber from the gums along the banks, at least there used to be, I don't know if the last couple of flood events have cleared it out. I used to drift this stretch casting plastics at the bank and work them out to the middle of the river, was a great spot to pull flatties hiding along the bottom, never anything big but plenty of school size fish up to 50cm.

Kev

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.