Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Hopefully this covers your question. I know striped marlin light up to make themselves more visible and scary when herding baitfish so maybe your mangrove jack was doing something similar. There are videos on youtube showing striped marlin & sailfish lit up while feeding.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Barra, thats pretty much how it works for many species. Others can't do it at all. For some fish species a darker colour is just from sunburn.
Check out some vids of cuttlefish.,I think they do it best of all. The patterns & colours they can make are unbelievable.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Squid are a bit different - they have things called chromatophores and iridophores. These are controlled by muscles that work like the irises in your eyes, covering or exposing the spot of pigment or iridescence below almost instantly. I'd be interested to find out how fish do it.. I'd guess this is more a hormonal message that exaggerates certain colours already there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.