Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Those pics of the fish (about two hundred and fifty)...I think they're tailor. Common in the day, and I'm guilty (there were no limits). One day at Black Rock near Pottsville, we caught 320. None were wasted.

In many places in the world the 'invaders', whether Brits or whatever, had a history of destroying forests and animals and fish stocks, before it was too late. Are we doing the same thing today, or are we now wise? (sic)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I had one old Outdoors Mag that featured Vic McCristal on the cover... he had a huge flathead with a knife jammed in its head... I think it was caught at Mallacoota on a hard-body lure, and his article in that magazine prompted my lure-fishing days.

The first one I used was the cheapest one I ever had, I made it from a tea-spoon I pinched from my wife's kitchen drawer... cut off the handle, drilled a couple of holes, added a couple of split-rings and a treble, went out and caught a flattie.

I was hooked as well!

If I hadn't read that article, I should be a millionaire by now... spent an absolute fortune on lures in that 55 odd years.

I bet a lot of AKFF'ers noticed the kayak on the cover of one mag, eh?

Cheers, Jimbo

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
SurfanFish said:
kayakone said:
Those pics of the fish (about two hundred and fifty)...I think they're tailor. Common in the day, and I'm guilty (there were no limits). One day at Black Rock near Pottsville, we caught 320. None were wasted.

In many places in the world the 'invaders', whether Brits or whatever, had a history of destroying forests and animals and fish stocks, before it was too late. Are we doing the same thing today, or are we now wise? (sic)
Most of us have moved on from this I'm sure Trev. I was always conflicted as a kid, so much so that I rarely fished for 25 years and then mostly solo. Most people I fished with back then were good at it and taking these huge bags regularly.
SF
At least you thought about it. We didn't as kids, and Dad never mentioned it. I doubt we had ever heard the words conservation or sustainability. We were a relatively poor family of 7, and every fish was eagerly caught and eaten. Most years though, we went fishing only for two weeks in August school holidays. I'm talking 1950's to early 1970's.

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.