Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is taken off the St Leonards facebook page

By the way that's St Leonards in Victoria and is in Port Phillip Bay.

Marie Rigby's 1948 photo of White Pointer Shark caught by Marshall Miller and Mick Rigby off St Leonards. (Image kindly supplied by Peter Munster)

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
leftieant said:

Els's grandfather held the last commercial netting licence in Hinchinbrook Channel. Family emigrated in early 50's I think, and started commercial fishing, plus ran a fish & chip shop.

This photo is on our fridge.

Els's dad is the one standing immediately to the right of the fish.
Are they all really short?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Another one i saw on FB

This beast was caught off "The Reef" at Eaglehawk Neck back in 1982. It measured 6 meters long and weighed close to 2000kg. A Local fisherman accidentally caught the Great White after setting a net just off Clyde Island.

By all accounts the Shark had died before the net was pulled up so there was no chance of releasing it. - in Eaglehawk Neck, Tasmania.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Cool pix. Especially the provenance. The sawfish is a seamonster! And in the '60s no less.
gbc said:
Was the sunfish in the late 70's early 80's? I think I might remember that one from the local rag - mum was the editor back then and us kids got dragged around all the time when stories had to be reported on.
We regularly get sunfish off the coast here, and commonly off the kelp w/in a mile, in the summer. I've had one come up and take a look at me and the yak that was as big as a bull. Seemed over a ton. Big massive dopey thing.
Right now we have an influx of jellys so the mola mola won't be far behind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
vikodin said:
Another one i saw on FB

This beast was caught off "The Reef" at Eaglehawk Neck back in 1982. It measured 6 meters long and weighed close to 2000kg. A Local fisherman accidentally caught the Great White after setting a net just off Clyde Island.

By all accounts the Shark had died before the net was pulled up so there was no chance of releasing it. - in Eaglehawk Neck, Tasmania.
So you are sitting a km offshore and this thing swims up beside you, so you then............??????

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Scott said:
Some favourites of mine when i first read his biography Alf Dean Maneater Man as a young tacka. It gave me my love of light tackle big ratio game fishing before i became disgusted by the killing of amazing fish despite the odds being heavily in the fishes favour.
I remember that. Alf Dean was a fruit farmer from SA, and caught the biggest Great White Shark ever taken on a rod and reel. http://www.wbc.basinlureandfly.org.au/n ... pn-go-com/

The article talks about a very short capture time, but I definitely read that one of those whites he caught took 17 hours to bring to the boat. (Longer in a kayak for sure, but I reckon Grant will do it one day. :lol: )

Dean is mentioned again in this article: http://www.jawshark.com/great_white_recorded_sizes.html

Here is Bob Dwyer's record tiger:

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... A&dur=7247

This was, I think, caught at Point Lookout on Straddie, where we had the Stealth challenge in February. Nice to know that this one was not in the water in Feb. Bob and Molly Dwyer held three world records (three species of sharks) for decades, all caught in the vicinity of Pt Lookout. Bob Dwyer was a popular TV personality in the fifties and sixties (when he wasn't shark fishing).

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
kayakone said:
Here is Bob Dwyer's record tiger:

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... A&dur=7247

Bob and Molly Dwyer held three world records
Trev the big tiger in the photo is Dolly Dyer's record, and note her name was Dolly not Molly.

Dyer's first cruiser was a 26' Halverson with a grey Holden motor called Tennessee [it preceded the boat in AWTYs picture] and was later owned on 2 different occasions by mates of mine , and shared many bottles of port on her reminiscing about the boat's earlier history some signs of which was still visible on board.

His main radio, and game fishing rival, was Jack Davey whose boat was an old navy Fairmile with a grand piano on board, and many years later was on the GC for some years in a very tired condition.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Trust you for accurate ancient history Dodge. :) You're a bit of history yourself.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Dodge said:
Trev the big tiger in the photo is Dolly Dyer's record, and note her name was Dolly not Molly.

Dyer's first cruiser was a 26' Halverson with a grey Holden motor called Tennessee [it preceded the boat in AWTYs picture] and was later owned on 2 different occasions by mates of mine , and shared many bottles of port on her reminiscing about the boat's earlier history some signs of which was still visible on board.

His main radio, and game fishing rival, was Jack Davey whose boat was an old navy Fairmile with a grand piano on board, and many years later was on the GC for some years in a very tired condition.
That brings back pleasant memories of the "on radio mock-up feud" between Bob and Jack... whistling noises followed by bombs going off! Very funny nights on the radio!

Thanks Richo...

Cheers Jimbo

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Big fish on an Alvey. There are some monsters in here. Sixth row down on the right is a monster tailor from Fraser Is (Rob Duncan).

If you scroll down a fair way, on the left you will see my sea kayak fitted with two Alvey 650 BC's, and a sail. It was on the RH one that I hooked and landed a 20 kg Papuan trevally in the Keppels.

http://alvey.com.au/galleries/nggallery ... mer-photos

·
Registered
280 Posts
Great thread! Fantastic photos - a nice bit of history.

Trev, I think the tailor photo has shifted down a bit, and Alveys mounted on a yak without rods (and spooled with rope) - did you need a commercial licence for that? :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.