Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
It could only happen to you Con...you've not had much luck on the fishing front this year have you.

BTW isn't it crushing season? Shouldn't you be working 12 hours a day until around Christmas?

G

·
Your jighead was probably manufactured by the same people who made a brand of lure on which big Salmon like to straighten split rings for me. Twice bitten, rings as well as hooks get changed before those lures get wet.

On the topic of unusual fails, I decided to replace trebles with doubles instead of singles to test their holding power on Aussie Salmon. They worked about the same as a single other than the couple of times I cast and saw the hook land well away from the lure :lol: I am now on the last of six and have it secured with a few wraps of fuse wire.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
barra, the weirdest experience i had was one day fishing and 3 times in a row i felt 0 strike and when i wound in , my hook was gone.

on the 4 th try, i wound in a big toad fish with the beak and i put a bit of 40 lb mono in his mouth and his beak just chopped it like a scalpel.

your problem is truly vexxing

cheers pete

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Rigged a new jighead and plastic the other day squeezed some squidgie s factor all over it admired it then threw it over the side, forgot to attach it to the line, Doh :lol:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hi Con

Interesting that you should bring this up as it happened to me two weeks ago. I was using a Squidgy jig head of the newer variety. Rigged up and made a few casts and then lost it completely but I think that it happened when i was trying to extract it from a snag. My initial thought was that it was knot failure but the loop was still intact. Checking the other jig heads i found that the eye was not entirely closed. I was using light line and this no doubt contributed to the problem. Thereafter i applied the pliers with some success to close the eye of the jig head.

rob

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey mate like a few of the others have said check the eye if the jighead and the gap between the eye part of the jighead. It happened to me a few weeks ago but it was when I was tying it on and I went to pull it tight but just came apart. At first I thought it was the leader so retied a new leader with different line and still happened to checked the eye and the gap was wider than it should be.

Hope it helps anyways.

Cheers, Munro.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I lost a nice kingie and thought that my leader to hook knot broke. When I looked closer the loop was complete but a section of the 80 lb line was extruded. The line had pulled through the gap of the Mustard Hoodlum 8/0. Since then I have been using hooks with welded eyes for livebaiting or snelling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.