·
Banned
8,383 Posts
What is Fandamentalism?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
In the future?

Anyone else with an imaginary friend would be questioned now.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I have to say i am over fundamenatalism. While he was a gun fisho i was sick of funda's way of forcing his opinion down your throat. He could certainly catch natives though.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Whew Salticrak,

You must be bored mate. Child immunisation, now this. We'll need to get a bigger pot if you keep stirring. :)

Personally I think that religion is fantasy that can easily provide an artificial platform to promote one segment of the population as being superior to another which can be quite dangerous. That said, I know a lot of nice people that are religious & I know from my youth that there is little chance of conversion to atheism if someone truly believes - really needs to be decided by the person, just like I did for myself.

I don't think that religion should be taught in schools as fact. If people want to teach their kids religion, that should be up to them.

I think that if there is a segment of a religious group that is causing harm to the community that they should be reigned in. The government do the same even with bikey gangs now. If they are not doing any harm, live & let live.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Wooo charlie!.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am an Atheist. I'm hard core because I even think that agnosticism is a cop-out.

I don't think there is a distinction between benign or fundamentalist religious belief. It all involves denying or not knowing the evidence. Whether it's denying your kids immunization, hacking someone up on the street or believing the earth was created in six days, it is harmful to some degree.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Did Daftwullie just orange card you for your religious beliefs Punchanello? ;-)

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

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

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I can't for the life of me see how teaching religion in schools could be a good idea.
Teaching a general understanding of different peoples beliefs could be helpful but driving a wedge between kids and forcing a difference upon them at an early age doesn't seem like a good idea.

It seems to me that a lot of the problems in the world would be on the mend in 20 or 30 years if we addressed the route of these in our schools and children.
Here is a good link:
viewforum.php?f=17

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I have had many many of these conversations at home but I do feel that there is an imprint on my daughter from religious teachings at one of her schools.
My wife calls herself atheist but feels it is important that the kids have christian studies, not religious studies but christian as well. She thinks the kids need to know about it to make their own decision. Possibly but I see this as a follow through from her christain studies.
I would class my wife as agnostic.

Kids do seem to refer to schools as the jewish school or catholic school etc.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Everyone in my family that have attended a church school have become hard core atheists. The rest of us dont give a damn either way.....except me as its my duty to remind them that they will spend all of eternity trapped in an inferno in the sixth circle of hell. Me and the dog (god likes dogs, they share the same letters) of coarse will ascend the ladder to haven and spend all eternity with little baby Jesus.

·
Registered
867 Posts
If you have a pretty daughter, don't let this guy near her, huh? :lol:

Now tell me about you father...

Thanks for the link Red. Had seen him mess with people's minds before but hadn't seen him make an atheist have a religious epiphany.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Interesting how insulting those with christian beliefs is considered hilarious.

Also those who object to the teaching of religion in public schools are always welcome to opt out. But if you are sending your kids to a Christian school I would find it alarming if you object to the teaching of religion there.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hey Scoman,

Can't speak for the rest but personally, I'm not trying to go out of my way to insult Christians. I don't believe in any religion & cannot help but think that all religion is a bit silly but that's because I am an atheist & actually truly believe that there is nothing more to life. I can't imagine anything would ever shake that belief.

I opt out of scripture for my son. I wouldn't ever send him to a religious school either because I think that it would be hypocritical of me to do so. I know of people that do send their kids to a Christian school because it happens to be the school in their area that is performing a bit better academically & then preach atheism at home. I can sort of understand that they want to give their kids the advantages & choose to try & undo what is taught in religious studies at home but I couldn't personally do it.

If I were to start my career over again, I would give serious thought to trying to start up a private school that is atheist. I do think that there should be more options out there for the kids of atheists. I don't how it would go in terms of anti-discrimination laws. I know that Christian schools can require a child to be baptised & attend Christian religious studies but I don't know if making someone sign off on being an atheist would fly.

1 - 20 of 243 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.