Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
No idea on most of the questions but for working at a computer for business, two monitors is where its at. One monitor sucks arse.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Get yourself an iPad, get docs to go ap, invoice to go. Allows you to spreadsheet, word, excel, invoicing etc best mone I've ever spent buying the iPad

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
nezevic said:
No idea on most of the questions but for working at a computer for business, two monitors is where its at. One monitor sucks arse.
Yep - this

The traders behind me run 4 monitors
Feckers

Con, OCR is what you need to be thinking about
There's a goodish free one I was testing recently for the iphone/ipad - "Image to text - OCR"

Though I did end up scanning docs as .tif and using "Microsoft Office Document Imaging"
as long as you scan at at least 300 x 300 DPI you'll get 100% accuracy

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
leftieant said:
koich said:
I keep trying but it never gets past our exec.

They don't like using their tablets because they can't doodle on them in meetings.
Aah but surely checking their emails mid meeting keeps them amused?

I've started running all of our training sessions network disconnected - amazing how much more productive the sessions are now.
I ban mobiles, blackberries and iPhones from my meetings or the same reason
Had one boss in particular who would answer her phone, send texts and show the funny picture or email she had just received.
Now it's like the Sopranos - there's a bowl on the table by the door. Phone goes in as you enter, you get it back when you leave

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've been through three genuine attempts at a paperless office in my working life. I think the concept is brilliant, the need is clear and the goodwill abounds. But it has always failed. Maybe wbecause we are in a bit iof a legalistic environment obsessed with what constitutes an "original" document.

Still, we are pretty bloody close.

·
Registered
293 Posts
"Big Gee" has got it right, pretty much the same as I do.
My paper records are scanned and then archived in boxes, if the ATO wants to see an original, hand them the box and let them sort it out.
I use a twin 2Tb RAID 1 storage system in my home office and operate my desk with 3 screens. It is very cheap these days and having multiple screens make my job much quicker.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I guess it gets down to what type of business you are involved with.

Paperless is an ideal but not very practical when you need hard copy for records acceptable to the court system.

You can get yourself into a lot of bother with electronic records particularly if your business is not sophisticated electronically.

Con, I would advise to have both systems. Paperless is a myth to me.

Ian

·
Registered
293 Posts
In my industry most top tier organizations utilize electronic records as their primary systems (that is, no hardcopies at all). The trick is standardized processes for document control. Equally applicable in a small home office as in a major corporation. If done properly there are no legal issues.
Even the ATO and ASIC use electronic keys and documents these days, cant remember the last time I submitted a paper BAS

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
HAWKEYE3 said:
I guess it gets down to what type of business you are involved with.

Paperless is an ideal but not very practical when you need hard copy for records acceptable to the court system.

You can get yourself into a lot of bother with electronic records particularly if your business is not sophisticated electronically.

Con, I would advise to have both systems. Paperless is a myth to me.

Ian
Just amazes me how an electronic copy is not good enough, but print it out and it's somehow better.
I've been told by various companies that they won't accept emails, but faxes are OK. So I fax them via my computer email.
Crazy.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
I have all my personal and business tax information for 10 years in 4 archive boxes. That's all the paper that I have.
My reports are sent electronically. My invoices are also sent electronically, but I print a copy. Same with my payment tax invoices. I've never had a fax and never send to a fax machine. I haven't written a check in perhaps 5 years and recieve about two per year. I deal in the currency of reports and documents. That's all I do. But none of it, other than tax stuff, is paper.

I backup everything to my second HDD and to a passport drive. I backup current stuff to a cloud. That all happens continually without me knowing it when my computer is idle (Norton 360). I run MYOB for accounting and write the MYOB number on each invoice and receipt to tie them togather. My running filing system is a single shoebox. That gets sorted and archived in the space of 1 hour every three months at BAS time.

I go through a ream of paper about once a year. Much of that is for the kids.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.