Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kayakone said:
What are they like to eat Nick?
Supposed to be nice apart from lots of y shaped bones
thats why recipes tend to be things like pike quenelles

I've never eaten one
Culturally in Europe its not generally done (apart from by the Germans)
All coarse fish are catch and release (including perch AKA redfin)

my MIL reckons they eaten anything including rubbish
so why can they be so hard to catch then I ask her!
she tells me not to bring them home - so I don't

I did get a little hammer handle one yesterday that would have been perfect for just me, but it performed a short distance self release just as I was about to bring it up onto the bank

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
GlenelgKiller said:
Barrabundy said:
That's a fair sized fish there! Glad to see the brag mat works as well there as it does here.
Wouldn't think it would seeing it is in metric
Good for measuring leprechauns. :D Makes 'em seem bigger!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
anselmo said:
kayakone said:
Culturally in Europe its not generally done (apart from by the Germans)
All coarse fish are catch and release (including perch AKA redfin)
Can't speak for ze Germans but my Austrian kin don't eat coarse fish either. they are prized and taking one would be like keeping an undersized Kingie

·
Registered
632 Posts
Cracker of a pike there anselmo. I remember as a kid it was frowned upon to eat pike, not for cultural reasons, but because of stories about them feeding on all sorts of crap including dead cats and dogs in the rivers!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Great catch.
They were the only thing I really fished for during my 14 years in the UK.
I did try to eat one once (I needed to photograph it's head for a Record cover, don't ask), from memory it kept going back in the oven until we got to about 6 hours and then we ordered an Indian takeaway. Tough as old boots.
I think the French eat them.

Beautiful tail on it.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Guys

Gee, yep thats what I aiming for
in the head shot you can see the nw knottable wire I was testing out, I was pretty impressed with it
Pike are the closest fish of size for me to target

I have a small urban trout stream 10 minutes away but I feel self conscious casting amongst the joggers and dog walkers (I'm one of those people who hates being asked "you getting any?" or "what are fishing for?" or "you know you need a licence to fish there!")
There's also some other pike lakes within an hour or so's drive lus some canals that have pike and coarse fish (perch, roach etc)
There's some amazing sea bass fishing about 2 hours away in Wexford (some of the premier sea bass fishing in the world)
I got a est. 10lber there a couple of years ago

When we go out to Clare I have the choice of 3 good trout lakes (wild browns), a couple of pike and perch lakes, and sea fishing for wrasse and pollock - wrasse are like a mini groper over here, strong hard and eat SPs

Keza,the pike have amazing colours in their heads
This one had a really cool swirly pattern on its side as well that I only noticed from the picture
Must be a healed injury
The tail was lovely, they haven't always got that nice clarity in the colours, but the brag mat showed it off nicely

ohagas, thats what my MIL keeps telling me!
"Pike are a dirty fish" usually followed by "bring me a salmon"

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
StevenM said:
Nice fish

Wrong lure ;-)
I know
There was lots of very fine weed
I tried swimming the tait-rr but it would get snarled and die within 2 feet
I do know a good spot where there are lots of little perch and bigger weeds so bibbed lures can swim between them- so next time I'm there the tait-rr will be WOC (Weapon Of Choice)

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
patwah said:
anselmo said:
patwah said:
Nice fish bitch
Thanks monkey spank
Did I send you the Polish pike fishing video?
No you didnt

But I have Predator for you, you will gimp leprachauns after watching it
Schweet
I'll send the Polish vid to you when I get the card

I gimp the leprechauns before export as a matter of process

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Whats a course fish?

Ive eaten plenty of pike. Chew well. Those y bones can get wedged in the gullet. They were northern pike specifically. My family would take day trips out to remote rivers and streams in Minnesota. Wed catch 1or2 and fry em up with potatoes we burried under the fire. Great memories.

Thats a good fish ans!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Details on the knotable wire?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.