Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not sure of this but for those who are interested in going down the model aircraft route, it sounds as though drones are really taking off. I imagine building your own drone to take photos of wildlife in the treetops would be an awesome hobby to have....?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Helicopters do not fly. They merely beat the ground into submission.

"Park it in a shed beside the house and just wheel it out and go whenever I get the urge. Pre-flight checks probably wouldn't take any longer than loading up a kayak and I could still carry some fishing gear."
If only aviation was as easy as that! Of course, if it were I wouldnt have the job I do and would be in an office with all the other automatons.

Someone once told me that to experience sailing "stand in a cold shower and tear up $100 bills", for flying, replace the shower with a fan. ;-)

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've been Dabbling in it Con

Haven't got my licence yet, But helped my old man build this about 5yrs back and fly with him often, he's been flying for fun for near on 40yrs. Its a four seat Jabiru J-430. Australian designed and built in QLD including the 6 cylinder motor. In fact their motors have become a major success story, being exported all around the world and placed in all sorts of ultralight and kit planes. Reasonably cheap to get flying and very economical to run by aeroplane standards. From memory, on average we burn 20lt of avgas an hr and cruise at 100-120 kts.

Cheers
Ant

·
Registered
588 Posts
I dont fly these days but did get a pilots licence some years back and as there is a couple of airfeilds quite close it was never a problem to hire a plane to head out for a fly

I flew piper tomahawks and 172s then got my contant speed prop and retract under carage out of the way and flew a couple of 6 seat pipers
including a piper lance

as I said it was a while back now and I use the money on other things these days as it was a costly hobby
you can buy a lot of fishing gear for the price of a couple of hours plane hire

·
Registered
190 Posts
Flying is awesome! In saying that, I spent a small fortune obtaining my PPL and night rating along with different endorsements, for me it was a life long dream , happy to have done it , but it costs a shit load the faster and further you want to fly , especially gaining hours for a commercial license so my wings have been clipped for now .

Mate, if your still keen, go to a flying school and do an introductory flight. Cheap'ish and your hands on. Be warned , it is addictive ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.