Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new job is very weather dependent.
Today was not actually raining, but the ground was soaked so another day off.
I loaded up the pelican into the back of my truck

and headed of to Millers Lake.
I started by trolling a lap of the lake. It's quite small and this would only take about 1/2 an hour if not fishing.
I found a large school of recently released rainbow trout. I think I caught about 6 before I realised there were no bigger fish in with them and moved on.

I continued on my lap and found a really good weed bed in about 6' of water. I fished this area for a while and out of my first 8 hits, I landed 0 fish. 3 of them were on the line for a bit, but threw the hooks. The others did not even hook up properly.
I finally landed one

and headed back in for some lunch.
On the way back, i found a great looking drop off and trolled it for 2 more hits.
After lunch, i went back and targetted the drop off.
I got another rainbow on my first cast

then another 2 fish soon after.
Then, whilst retrieving the lure, I saw a large trout come up right next to the yak and take the lure. There was no fight. Literally none. I had the drag set light enough that those 15cm trout from earlier were pulling plenty of drag but this fish pulled none.
I got it to the yak and belly lifted it in.
I paddled over to a bloke fishing from a belly boat and he took some pics for me.

He went 63cm.
When released, he did not swim but just floated. I used my paddle to get him back and swum him for about 5 minutes before he started kicking and swam down into the depths. I suspect he was near the end of his life though.
Back over to my drop off, I landed another 3 rainbows and had a couple throw the hooks going ariel.
Kept my 5 rainbows, got some in the smoker now.

Nice day.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Nice Day. Understatement of the year Craig. Looks and reads more like a top day on the water. Enjoy the smoked trout. A very nice return because of some damp grass!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BigGee said:
Dont think I didnt notice that title! :lol: :lol:

I was about to say, "Hey Craig do you want me to send you some Tassies and Cobras?" But then I saw that monster Rainbow and I'm going to say, there'll be bigger than that around for sure.

I bet that sucker went off like a hamster in a sock.

Look forward to seeing those photos when you get them and get them you will.

Gee
Nope, no fight at all. Very disappointing from that point of view.
Rainbow or brown you reckon?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fillet is off a rainbow (the colour is off, it was more red than that).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.