Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Whoa,that is seriously fast.
Do you know what would be the last thing thing that would pass through your mind if you hit something at that speed? ;-)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Gotta love experiencing a dream. I had similar while I was living in Denmark. On my return up ended up staying with people who lived near the Lotus factory. I've been a Lotus fan since I can remember and had the opportunity to go to the factory and drive a lotus elise around their test track for 20mins, then a stint as passenger for a couple of laps. A dream come true and a memory that I was excited about for ages. When the chance occurs you just have to take it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
And it didn't even cost you a nut Gatesy!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
kraley said:
How are you changing gears?
The 911 Turbo comes with an optional auto transmission, looks like this is what he used for the speed runs. Otherwise there's the paddle shifters (flaps at 3 & 9 o'clock on the back of the steering wheel used to shift up/down, no clutch).

Cool vid Gatesy, 272 is quick!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Gatesy said:
yep it was an auto run. have to admit once we got past 200 i was way more focused on not parking in a ditch then i was about what mates would think of me wearing pink shoes while doing it.
I had a clear run in my old Nissan and backed off at 180 because it felt too loose. I can't imagine what 270 would feel like. Pantshittingly fast.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
indiedog said:
Gatesy said:
indiedog said:
Wow! You look nothing like what I imagined.....
uglier? fatter? younger? what please tell. If it a good answer I will tell the wife, if not i will pretend i never heard it
The name "Gatesy" has such a '70's quality to it I could only imagine a mustache. Combine that with my memory of the Czech Republic which was still firmly entrenched in the '70's when I was there in the mid '90's. Add a classic car and there could be only one likeness.......

So I'm sorry, but the reality can never live up to the legend. I should have known.
Ah bargearse
Classic

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
My only ever run in a 911 Turbo was about 25 years ago, as a passenger. My mate's brother had one, and somehow my mate managed to borrow it late one night. We were young, foolish and notionally indestructible. He got it up to 200 km/h on Epping Road (before M2 when Epping Rd was still pretty much a clear run and before speed cameras). We survived.

Years later (only about 6 years ago I think), my (then) boss took me for a ride in his Maserati to see a client. He took the freeway ramp from Cammeray from a standstill at the top and was doing 170 by the bottom of the ramp. All clenchable parts of me were clenched, I never allowed him to drive me anywhere again.

I'm just about to buy a van (commercial vehicle). It'll be a slug, but I'm OK with that these days. I'll be able to get a shitload of fishing gear in it. I'll need one of those "Yes it's my van, no I won't help you move" stickers.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Good one Gatesy. Ah, the lure of speed :eek: :) . Killed millions so far :( .

sbd said:
My only ever run in a 911 Turbo was about 25 years ago, as a passenger. My mate's brother had one, and somehow my mate managed to borrow it late one night. We were young, foolish and notionally indestructible. He got it up to 200 km/h on Epping Road (before M2 when Epping Rd was still pretty much a clear run and before speed cameras). We survived.

Years later (only about 6 years ago I think), my (then) boss took me for a ride in his Maserati to see a client. He took the freeway ramp from Cammeray from a standstill at the top and was doing 170 by the bottom of the ramp. All clenchable parts of me were clenched, I never allowed him to drive me anywhere again.
You were lucky Dave, and so was I. I had an unbelievable experience long time ago (all old people say that). I walked into a car yard at Buranda, not dressed flashy, not pretending to be rich bastard, and was drooling over a Porsche 911 S, when the salesman came out and asked, "Would you like to take it for a test drive?"

Trying to sound normal (I was incredulous, but he did ask), I said cooly, "Okay."

He got the keys and said, " Warm it up," then wandered back into the office. I excitedly settled in, started it (what a sound), got all the seating right, then the mirrors, and he still hadn't come out of the office. I waited....still in the office, so I went in. "It's ready," I said.

"You'll be alright on your own won't you? I'm a bit busy."

"Ah, yeah." I couldn't believe he'd given it to me. I thought he was going to come with me.

The result was a blast towards the Gold Coast....238 km/hr and still accelerating. I was so scared after a short while with the closing speed etc, that I slowed and did a Uturn. Coming back into suburbia I tested the handling. I could not break traction in right angle street corners, no matter how hard I tried.

They are super cars (even then), as are Lambo's and Ferraris, a few of which I've been lucky to have rides in (unfortunately all illegal, being on public roads - so not a good idea).

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Barrabundy said:
Good to see adults behaving like kids sometimes.

........What does your wife want?
Mine left years ago, and the second not long ago. :shock:

Maybe I'm going too fast?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
My stepdad has a vintage 1974 911 turbo back in the old dart - its got an original factory fitted prototype semi auto gear box (has stick with 3 gears plus reverse but no clutch pedal). Goes like a freakin rocket. Resented him for many years for not letting me take it for a spin (probably literally) when I was younger. Got to drive it last year, and thanked him from the bottom of my heart for saving my life.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.