Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Nice report Occy,

it would be good to know exactly what they have changed since the predecessor (I'm not talking about the Marauder XF here).
From the sounds of it the hull has had some work.

Totally agree regarding the tie down loops for the centre hatch, They hold the hatch fine, but as soon as you unclip the closest 2 and lift the hatch,
the rear ones come off. I never transport the kayak with that hatch in place.

Have they removed the tool tray under the cutting board? I hope they have, if you bait fish, the tray collects blood, and that tray greatly reduces
the capacity of that centre well. I hacksawed the tool tray off and siliconed the cutting board to the plastic cover.

Also agree with rod holder positioning, if you are pushing the kayak hard you can only really use the rear rod holders, or you will hit the rods,
and as you mention, the front holders allow the reels to get wet when underway.

Cheers, Jeff

·
Registered
280 Posts
Occy,

I just noticed the Scorpio paddle in the photos. As I purchased my Marauder from C-Kayaks, I also bought the Scorpio 2 piece paddle.
Did you use that paddle for your test, and if so, what are your thoughts?

I really like mine, but have only crappy plastic paddles from rental kayaks to compare against.

Cheers, Jeff

·
Registered
280 Posts
Nice photos Occy,
and here was I thinking that you were about 100 years old :)

Still a young bloke - with a nice dog!

seriously though, that bow is very different to the previous marauder, big changes indeed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Good & detailed occy I enjoyed paddling it as well but was doing it without rudder as I cant use the push down type & it certainly nipped along nicely.

Nigel

good & stable kept my feet up (more comfortable for me like that)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Occy,

I just picked up your demo Marauder this afternoon from Gosford. It looks great and I am looking forward to paddling it. The shop in Gosford is fantastic and Anton was a pleasure to deal with. Very friendly and accommodating.

I hope you don't mind, but I would like to point out some mods that future versions could use:

1) The center hatch could use a hinge, or better tie downs because once you loosen the front 2 cords the lid just pops off. I will be adding a couple of clips to the side tomorrow.

2) I will re-enforce the rudder foot pedal rail because being 187cm, once I fully extend the foot pedals, and give it a push, the rail seems to flex away from the kayak. At the shop it seemed like it was going to break off. This will be solved with a couple of SS screws tomorrow.

3) Lastly, could not help but notice that compared to my ex-Hobie, the Marauder seems to be manufactured out of much thinner plastic. Don't think that will be an issue either as I plan on using back plating when re-installing the Railblazer mounts.

Overall, I am very happy with this kayak, and I have not even paddled it yet. Uber-happy with the level of customer service from Anton at C-Kayaks. I am itching at going out into Botany tomorrow and testing it out in the rough water :). Thank you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
hey chubbs my barracuda is way thin compared to previous yaks but a different material I think

Nigel

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Occy,

I visited the Taren Point store and with the help of the staff, I installed a couple of clips, and extra rivets into the foot pedal area. However, there is still some flex, but that is something I might have to live with or just change out to different pedals. Which I am now seriously contemplating as the current foot pedals are the same flimsy ones that we on our Oceak Kayak Sprinter at school and me no like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.