Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a late start finally had the car packed (or so I thought) and ready by about 9am. Got as far as Roseberry & realised I had let the mirage drive at home. Had to happen eventually I guess. Turned around, sat in traffic heading back to Enmore, finally on the road again about 9:45.
Arrived at the launch to find the sounder not working. Investigation showed the positive wire on the outside of the battery box had come loose. Never been entirely happy with the original build so a good excuse to start again. Pretty much killed the plan the drop plastics tho as I have no idea where the reef areas as around there.
By the time I hit the water think I only just made the high tide. Saw birds start to wheel around and dive briefly but were gone again before I had to time to turn the rudder. Saw that happen a few times on the troll down to Cape Banks and back up to south end of Maroubra. Suspect schools of salmon but they were just moving too fast the get a positive ID.
Nice on the water with only a light westerly and the cliffs blocking most of that. Packed up and back in the car by 14:00.
Maybe I will get to put a bend in the new jigging rod next trip.
Rob.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
That's a long trip there Rob and good to hear there's some bird action around. Sometimes the washes around the headlands produce but can be treacherous although as you say a light westerly probably gives the best conditions for fishing along that area.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
My back is keeping me off the water at the moment but I took the kids down there last night to try for squid, there are a few good sized ones around, I dropped a monster but brought one back for dinner.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought about chasing some squid but the jigs were just a few of the lures I didn't grab in my rush to pack. Quite few boats in the area but didn't see anyone hooked up.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
All too familiar with old "forgot the mirage drive" debacle, Rob.

"Saw birds start to wheel around and dive briefly but were gone again before I had to time to turn the rudder.... Suspect schools of salmon"
You might be right - but don't discount winter kings. I found some surface schools this afternoon (a bit further north), and had the same suspicions. Turned out to be legal kings. Caught 3, plus a big bonnie.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Guys, I was out off kiama this morning and there were lots of patches of birds around. These birds didn't signal pelagic action, but the next best thing: cuttlefish carcases! Inshore snapper season.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
What Bunsen said - Northside too!

140713cuttle.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I investigated the areas the birds were havering but didn't see any cuttlies. Had a school of fish erupt no more than 10m away but again, gone in seconds. Did see a lot of bread rolls floating all along that stretch of coast tho. Grabbed a few bits as I thought they may have been cuttlefish remains but only bread found.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Wasn't game to rub cream into it. Had enough trouble fitting it in my drive-well flaccid.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Rob

At least you got out on the briny.

Tom

That looks gross, but bait it is. Kingy pics?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Groin to ankle, Jim - and fresh. A birds had taken its eyes, but otherwise fully intact. Even the candles.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
It looks like what left in the bucket after Bariatric surgery.
Bloody good find. Will you be selling packs of 10 strips wrapped in foil in the car park before sunrise ?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
A small sample, Kerry.

1407cuttle.jpg

(Apologies for hijack, Rob)

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.