Electronics • DSI - Fibreglass thru hull installation

Sounders, Shark Shields, and other electronics

DSI - Fibreglass thru hull installation

Postby benjiaka » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:59 pm

I have read numerous posts.

I would like to keep my lowrance 4x dsi unit as it basically new. I used it twice on my old plastic yak, and I've upgraded to a stealth. Now I have made up the closed cell foam block trimmed to size and plan to do a dry mount through the side inspection hatch with sellys all clear - however by the sounds of everything, I'm starting to doubt that it is going to work. I really wouldn't want to go making holes to mount it then it not working :/ I might just put it in the hatch on a test run to see if it works?

thoughts peoples? Or Should I just purchased a non dsi unit and sell this?
South Australian Kayak Fishing Club member - We unite SA as one Kayak fishing club welcoming all kayaks
SAKFC Team Flanno Glass Division
Proudly Sponsored by:
Anglers Choice (tackle)
Rippa Marine (glass kayak repairs)
Tackle Busters (sponsored trips and tackle)
benjiaka

Kayak: Stealth Evo 495

Re: DSI - Fibreglass thru hull installation

Postby anselmo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:59 pm

DSI is Down and Side Imaging correct?

Does the part of the tranduscer(s) that produces the signal for the side imaging have a direct line of sight to the subject (to the side and below the yak)?
If not, this may not work

Not an expert by any means, juts initial thoughts

Good luck, keep us posted
anselmo
Legendary Member

Kayak: Kkk

Postby benjiaka » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:09 pm

Its down scan imaging not side, and people have successfully installed thru hull with plastic kayaks. I see Salticrak had some issues which puts me off attempting
South Australian Kayak Fishing Club member - We unite SA as one Kayak fishing club welcoming all kayaks
SAKFC Team Flanno Glass Division
Proudly Sponsored by:
Anglers Choice (tackle)
Rippa Marine (glass kayak repairs)
Tackle Busters (sponsored trips and tackle)
benjiaka

Kayak: Stealth Evo 495

Postby anselmo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:26 pm

benjiaka wrote:Its down scan imaging not side, and people have successfully installed thru hull with plastic kayaks. I see Salticrak had some issues which puts me off attempting

Ah gotcha
So its simply a question of whether through hull can be done on glass yaks?
anselmo
Legendary Member

Kayak: Kkk

Postby Spankster » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:08 am

I've just remounted my humminbird dsi transducer as the wet mount wasn't giving me a good signal with the DI. Difference with yours is the transducer is a round cigar type compared to this type which is flat. I haven't had a chance to test this yet, but several others I know with 495's have the same DI transducer and they tell me it's as good as demo mode :D
I mounted mine in the day hatch as I've got a 465 and the hatch runs a fair way towards the rear of the ski... the 495's have a more round hatch, so you could put an inspection port at the rear of the day hatch and then glue the transducer to the bottom of the hull. Use gel coat filler (get it from supercheap), it seems to be the best medium to work with.

First up... mark out where the day hatch floor has to be cut out.

Get some closed cell foam and cut out an area slightly bigger than the transducer. This is going to be wedged between the hull and the day hatch floor to create a dam to hold the gelcoat filler used to glue the transducer in.

Get the dremel, attach the flexible shaft and a cutting wheel and CAREFULLY cut thru the floor of the day hatch.

Remove the piece of glass then attach a sanding bit to the dremel and clean up the area, test fitting the transducer every now and again until it fits snugly.

The foam dam is then stuffed in between the hull and the day hatch floor, as mentioned earlier this is just to stop the flow of gel coat filler from spreading further than it should. The dam is the blue section visible under the day hatch floor.

I cleaned out the hull side of the glass to get rid of all the dust etc from cutting. The floor was also slightly damp, so I poured in a little metho wiped it down with a clean rag and then hit it with the heat gun on low heat to dry everything out properly and gave it a few minutes to cool down properly.
Gelcoat filler is then mixed with the catalyst... I didn't get a photo of this bit as the filler sets pretty quickly and I didn't want to have any issues with half dried filler not sticking to the transducer. Wipe down the transducer with metho, apply the gel coat filler into the cavity and place the transducer in push it all the way in and place a weight on it to keep it there until it sets.

Next up is to run the transducer cabling back to the head unit. Keeping with the clean look, I ran the transducer cable thru a cable grommet and cover then up the inside of the hull, and had it exit where it did previously inside the fish box.

The cable inside the fish box is the most likely to be damaged so once again I ran it thru some split loom tubing and secured it as it was previously.
Spankster

Kayak: Stealth Evo 465

Postby mattattaylorsbeach » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:12 am

I cant comment on the Lowrance units, But a few of us with Humminbirds DI have mounted it behind the day hatch (on 495 Evos) using gel coat repair filler as the medium. Results are outstanding!! Picture quality is as good as what you see on the demo mode.
EDIT.. HAHAHHAHA to quick Spanky
Attachments
sounder install take 2 , Td (Custom).jpg
sounder install take 2 ,rear hatch (Custom).jpg
I have since cleaned up all the excess silicone
mattattaylorsbeach

Kayak: Evo 495 + some plastics

Return to Electronics