DIY Rods • Thread pattern suggestions.

Rod building, custom sticks

Thread pattern suggestions.

Postby Evoids » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi all.

So I'm slowly but surely putting together another rod order. The plan is to build a rod for my old boy. Having Indigenous heritage I was wondering if any of the excellent rod builders on this forum had an idea of how to do a thread pattern like this.

australian_aboriginal_flag.jpg

Would it even be possible? Or should I just get it made up as a decal?

If anyone can give suggestions, links, or anything I'd be forever thankful!

Cheers,

Ev.
Pb's! Bream - 36cm-Flathead - 65cm-Estuary Cod - 36cm-Fingermark - 25cm-Trevally - 33cm-Jewfish - 58cm-Tarpon - 50cm to tip-Tailor - 45cm
Evoids
Veteran Member

Kayak: Viking Nemo w fishkit.

Re: Thread pattern suggestions.

Postby Couta101 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:25 am

It can be done in thread, but I would say it would need to be weaved. This means you would need looms and th pattern with a left list to do it. Visual weave is a program you could buy as well to do it. Because it has a circle I think this is the best way to do this design.

There are a few blokes around that may do it for you not sure what they would charge but I don't think to much due to the small amount of colours. Drop me a pm and ill put you onto someone who could help.
Ciao
Douglas
" Eish.....where da feeesh ek se! "
Couta101
Veteran Member

Kayak: Stealth SupaliteX 2010 and EVO 465

Postby nicktoozoff » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:47 am

The other thing you can try is printing the flag onto a water slide decal sheet and putting it on the rod that way. Look up water slide decal printer paper on ebay or your local craft store may have it. You will need to put a base of white or pearl white thread down first to make the colours stay true.

Another option anyway if you dont want to do a weave. Pm me if you have any questions about this stuff.

Nick.
Fish Hard, Give No Line !!
Full time tackle shop employee, Charlie's Tackle World, Bateman's Bay.
nicktoozoff
Valued Member

Kayak: Perception Minnow

Postby Evoids » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:20 pm

Couta101 wrote:It can be done in thread, but I would say it would need to be weaved. This means you would need looms and th pattern with a left list to do it. Visual weave is a program you could buy as well to do it. Because it has a circle I think this is the best way to do this design.

To be honest couta I didn't know the difference a threat pattern and a weave. Thanks to your message I looked it up and I think I could make myself a left list and have a crack at this. Second choice would be to print a decal as nick suggested. And I could only hope I dont get sued for copyright infringement!
Pb's! Bream - 36cm-Flathead - 65cm-Estuary Cod - 36cm-Fingermark - 25cm-Trevally - 33cm-Jewfish - 58cm-Tarpon - 50cm to tip-Tailor - 45cm
Evoids
Veteran Member

Kayak: Viking Nemo w fishkit.

Postby nicktoozoff » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:23 am

As long as you are not going to sell these for commercial gain etc, you should not have any probs with copy right laws! Would be different if you were mass producing the rods for retail sale with the flag on it.
Fish Hard, Give No Line !!
Full time tackle shop employee, Charlie's Tackle World, Bateman's Bay.
nicktoozoff
Valued Member

Kayak: Perception Minnow

Return to DIY Rods