DIY General • X-Factor electrical system (lots of pictures)

DIY Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else

X-Factor electrical system (lots of pictures)

Postby DGax65 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:08 pm

I just finished re-wiring the electrical distribution system on my Malibu X-Factor. My old set-up didn't work out as well as I had liked and I wanted to make a change before my first mothership trip of the season, next month. I've also just purchased a couple of larger batteries (12vDC/10A-hr) that didn't fit in my old battery case very well. The old set-up used separate waterproof cases for the battery and power distribution unit (PDU=switches, terminal blocks and fuses).

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but it proved impractical.
This time I would do the job correctly from the start. I created a schematic in Microsoft Visio

I usually do a better job when I can follow written instructions. Having the schematics meant that I could easily wire up the beast while slightly distracted by watching TV and listening to the wife. (similar distractions were responsible for me wiring the LEDs with the polarity reversed on the first go 'round last year).

I also used wire labels throughout. This makes troubleshooting a little bit easier.

I didn't have to change much in the forward part of the yak. Everything was in good working order and all the wires were dressed-out as orderly as I could manage. I still haven't bought the running lights. I've found that LED navigation lights are extremely expensive. Currently I have a portable LED with red/green running lights. It's good enough for now.

I replaced the two original cases with a single waterproof case that functions as battery box and PDU. I tried to dress the wires as neatly as possible. It has been 22 years since I learned how to do this at the US Navy's Electronics Technician 'A' School. This job would have got me sent to the fleet to chip paint.

The PDU box has a strap to fasten it to the seat post. Cables for each of the three main loads have color coded quick disconnects. The sockets and pins on these connectors have a generous coating of di-electric grease applied to prevent corrosion. If you're wondering if it is necessary to have LED status lights for each load; the answer is no. I just think it looks cool
:roll: It also impresses the tourists who will invariably congregate around your yak at the landing, asking silly questions.

The end result: Kayak with a fully functional (if not fully practical) electrical system. No; I don't have lights on the rod holders. I have strips of 3M SOLAS reflective tape on the rod holders. And, no; my wife wasn't very happy with me having the yak in the house for five days while I worked on it :x

Note the red and white lights in the footwells. The switches for the lights are under the fish finder. All switches are factory sealed and I've coated them with an additional layer of liquid electrical tape. They also have rubber boots on the toggles and a thick coating of di-electric grease inside the boot.

I'll be the first to admit that this is overkill. I spent a lot of time on this, but it was fun.
Douglas Gaxiola

Team No Fish - Amateur Staff

The Overloaded Kayak
DGax65
Elite Member

Kayak: Malibu Stealth 14

Postby aleg75 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:37 pm

Great looking project! I am impressed! great photos too!
aleg75
Elite Member

Kayak: Q-Kayak Escapade

Postby Gunston » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:40 pm

Mate
that is a fabulous job.
Well done.

Chris
My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my reels for what I told her I paid for them
Gunston
Valued Member

Kayak: Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW + Barracuda SOT

Postby JD » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:39 pm

Hi Doug
Once a tech always a tech. What! no internet connection? All looks good.
Thanks John

Perception Swing. UHF Ch25.
JD
Veteran Member

Kayak: Swing

Postby kingfisher111 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:22 pm

Doug you could well end up a hazard to shipping. You are a mobile lighthouse!! Steve.
2006 Hobie Outback Fisherman
kingfisher111
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie Outback 2006

Postby mojofunk » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:23 pm

my god

untidy? I just installed my sounder and used cable ties to keep them together and industrial strength velcro to hold the battery(no box)
Cheers

Lindsay
mojofunk

Kayak: TARPON 140 AND A MALABU MINI-X

Postby Jeffo » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:24 pm

hats off to you Doug, that a great job
PB: Flatty 72cm / Salmon 45cm / Bream 40cm / EP 38cm / Snapper 59cm / tailor 41cm / morwong 40cm / kingy 60cm (and counting) /Bass 38cm / Striped Tuna 64cm
Jeffo
Veteran Member

Kayak: Prowler P13 Hobie Revo Cobra Explorer

Postby Cuda » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:30 pm

Doug, you never cease to amaze mate :shock:
That setup would win the Christmas lights competition for sure :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously but, that yak is hi-tech man :)
Hobie Adventure (Rufus)

PB's
WA Dhufish 59cm
Spanish Mackeral 1.15 m
Coronation Trout 60cm
Tailor 59cm
Coral Trout 63cm
Longtail Tuna 70.5cm
Doggie / Spotted Mackeral 75 cm
Snapper (Pink) 70cm
Black Snapper 47cm
Cuda
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie Adventure

Postby paddlin4reds » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:09 am

Mornin';
Real nice job. I did some time at the same "A" School (26-27yrs ago). If you don't mind me askin'? What Make & size box is that, to fit everything so nicely?
paddlin4reds

Postby PeterJ » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:52 am

That is a Kayak isn't it :?:
PeterJ
Elite Member

Kayak: kingfisher

Postby Tim » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:28 am

Gorgeously overdone, a real work of art, love it mate. :twisted:
Swish go the thighs boys swish swish swish,
His legs may be huge but his yak's movin' quick.
The paddler strains and heaves but is beaten by a mile,
While the paddler catches up the swisher fishes for a while
Tim
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie Adventure - The Big Banana

Re: X-Factor electrical system (lots of pictures)

Postby RedPhoenix » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:49 am

Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWR5gv4MAAC1fgAASUKWDCgypkYo+7//wMADayw1U/JMpsg1NMhk3qINGQaeiDVP0KPSJo0MQDQ9QBpoA1PKCmn6k0AHpADIDQBDpyD3UC03LhTclavP2fiHc0FlItB/Pr6kCYq/ThsXknOdBKNZo3HM7G/VBHZcrsVxYeDYPLw1q/f00K/QxtwTT7Rb4hRycqkNkIrOpLSP6dHZ92BbjNIS5ekj9MXVh88RVg+RRlhWtoLUMvcS0FCanlDEhhUk9ZgyKsmivZ13HQ+huEHugmlURLHApbJKiZObBvzJYUWKghMNeAZkYxd+IIIi9aJB7YIGDhZ/F3JFOFCQHmC/gwA==
Last edited by RedPhoenix on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you all for the laughs, the advice, and the mateship. Can the last one on the site, please turn off the lights before you leave.
RedPhoenix
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: too many

Postby wopfish » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:03 am

When I look at your Yak it reminds of those very talented and crazy dudes that do the motorbike chopper cutomisations!!!!!!

It looks awesome!!!!

I only wish I had the time and patience to learn some of the electroncs!!!

Well done your a credit to yourself and us fishos!!!!

I nominate you as our leader on the tech front - you'd be "brains" in the thunderbirds!

Regards

Wopfish
wopfish
Legendary Member

Kayak: Perception Swing Hobie Adventure

Postby Clarkos » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:15 am

That's pretty tidy work Doug.

And a great tip for everyone doing electrical work. Schematics and labeling.

When I completely re-did my car, I had all the schematics to work from, but didn't bother labeling as I was lazy. Now if I have to fault find it takes 10 times longer than it should.
"I used to tie double knots, but now I could not be fuc**d" Jebediah 1996
Clarkos
Veteran Member

Kayak: tub

Postby evarn » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:29 am

Sure tis a fine barn English, but tis no swimming pool!

Great work Doug... I'll be re-wiring the yak starting in the next fortnight. I wanna setup to power my ipaq/gps and to maybe hookup a camera of sorts.

My woman thinks I should concentrate on catching fish.. but what the hell does she know! hahaha

cheers

Ivan
Oh squiggly squid on the end of my line, why must you ink at me so?
Is it because of the shiny, pointy jig, which at you I did throw?!
evarn
Valued Member

Kayak: Hobie Revolution

Next

Return to DIY General