DIY General • Hairies new project.

DIY Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else

Hairies new project.

Postby hairymick » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:33 pm

Hi guys,

Matt, of Jemwatercraft has been commissioned to design a prototype hybrid canoe/kayak. This is another custom job he has done for me and I am really happy with the result.

My requirements were for a solo, long, big boat, ocean and expedition capable with at least 500 pounds load capacity. It also needed to paddle easily with a single or double blade. While not specifically a fishing boat, it still needed to be capable in this regard. (I fish from all of my boats) :oops:

The end result is below. (concept drawing) 5.5 metres long X 700mm wide.

Matt Calls it South Wind, I call it Southern Cross.
What do you think?
Attachments
IsoRev01.jpg
IsoRev01.jpg (46.06 KiB) Viewed 6920 times
Last edited by hairymick on Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis. Dante Alighieri
Regards,
Mick
hairymick
Legendary Member

Kayak: JEMWATERCRAFT Southwind Pirogue and Laker

Postby RedPhoenix » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:40 pm

Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWaIE1coAACFfgAASQIcAAIAHFAA/7//gMADNbQ1Mk9TUfpBkmZI2kep6mhFPKeKZD1AMgAANVP9CEyQ/Sag9EGQBMDnBo50nd616Kp80hJ/vAGQqWng28U+3Qrk4fGvRCjmJHfZunPaNzdAm07LV0GNfqj2LmGhYK2U3oE4E47612745X/lST5xZhEzvZYguKLa0kz6eo7SV1CmM4UIvJHAQV6nxgagqAQsEHHFxTAXopJfE+9lrR9TxC0VmKujy1TUYTy80q0LYJiY5njd4APBBKR/HRnyZjBTaX8XckU4UJCiBNXKA
Last edited by RedPhoenix on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you all for the laughs, the advice, and the mateship. Can the last one on the site, please turn off the lights before you leave.
RedPhoenix
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: too many

Postby YakAtak » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:41 pm

5.5m whooo that's a long boat, what sort of weight do you expect it to be once complete?
YakAtak
Legendary Member

Kayak: OK Scupper Pro

Postby Davey G » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:42 pm

methinks Hairy needs a bigger shed.....
Sunshine Coast Surf and Sports Photography
http://www.surfshotsnoosa.com ; http://www.facebook.com/surfshotsnoosa
Davey G
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: Neglected Red one

Postby hairymick » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:20 pm

Thanks guys, :D

Red, that pic was of the first prototype, the deck & cockpit are a fair bit shorter now. The pic below has the three options. Mine will probably be the shortest cockpit. 7'11" long

Karl, I reckon (hope) she will come in at around 50 pounds or around 23 KGs. A bit more if I decide to go with bulkheads & hatches.
Attachments
CompareD.jpg
CompareD.jpg (58.64 KiB) Viewed 6895 times
The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis. Dante Alighieri
Regards,
Mick
hairymick
Legendary Member

Postby troppo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:54 pm

Ahhhhh, another wooden crafted masterpiece on its way. Good on ya HairyMick.
happy splashing - Troppo
Feelfree Nomad
48 cm Blue Threadfin Salmon, 62 cm Wolf Herring, 52 cm Dusky Flathead, 51 cm Grunter
. . . . more coming,
can't wait to go yakking again!
troppo
Legendary Member

Postby hairymick » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:08 pm

Hi Gatesey & Troppo. Thanks guys,

Not sure at this stage just how long it will take. I am experimenting with some new (to me) building techniques. I reckon I will have it done about mid year. I guesstimate on about 200 hours work.

I have only just started marking out the panels, so it will probably be a couple of weeks or so before I have any piccies worth posting.

I guess, what I am hoping for with this one is something I can spend multi day trips in the Great Sandy Straights, and carry all the gear I want but still be reasonably easy to paddle and fish from when loaded.

Not only that, I just love big boats
Regards,
Mick
hairymick
Legendary Member

Postby Dodge » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:06 pm

Mick good to see the seeds sown for another of your projects.

Still hope you may find the opportunity/time to pop down to Poona outing in March and say g'day
Cheers RICHO

member of Team Old Farts and Team GREEN GINGER

Kayaks ..... Perception Swing, yellow/lime "T IV" on UHF 29 ..... Pacer, pink ..... homemade timber Anon Lures

Accept that some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue
Dodge
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: Perception Swing on UHF29 - and Pacer

Postby Red Herring » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:17 pm

A hybrid kayak / canoe ... that would make it a 'yakanoe'. Seriously though, nice design. I'm guessing you've given good thought to where the rod holders are going to go, how best to optimize the storage behind your seat and whether you need a mounting bracket for an electric motor?

Cheers,
RH
'Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.' - Author Unknown
Red Herring
Valued Member

Kayak: Viking Tempo

Postby hairymick » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:48 am

Hi Richo,

yeah mate. I am trying to organise a couple of shift swaps . I really want to attend this one.

Thanks Red. :D Yeah mate to all questions. :D This will be my 4th
S&G build. Each boat was designed with a specific purpose in mind but all had to be useful for fishing. This one is still evolving in my head and no doubt, there will be some significant changes in her layout a she nears completion.

Thanks for the interest guys. :D
Regards,
Mick
hairymick
Legendary Member

Postby troppo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:15 am

Red Herring wrote:A hybrid kayak / canoe ... that would make it a 'yakanoe'.

Hmmm . . . . so fishing out of one of these craft would have to be yakafishanoeing. Of course he will be paddling as well as fishing so this would mean he will be going yakafishopaddlanoeing.

Well, whatever, just have fun HairyMick.
happy splashing - Troppo
Feelfree Nomad
48 cm Blue Threadfin Salmon, 62 cm Wolf Herring, 52 cm Dusky Flathead, 51 cm Grunter
. . . . more coming,
troppo
Legendary Member

Postby bazzoo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:42 pm

Hairey, will it be hard chine or round chine, whats the new building method consist of , looks pretty sleek , should move through the water nicely
cheers, barry

Stealth Splash 465
Old Town Loon111
Horizon predator TK1

We grow too soon OLD
and too late SMART
bazzoo
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: Old Town Loon and tk one -Stealth Splash

Postby hairymick » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:13 pm

Hairey, will it be hard chine or round chine, whats the new building method consist of , looks pretty sleek , should move through the water nicely

G'day Baz,

Hard-ish chine, :D A simpler build and slightly less volume than Matts new North Wind. (below)

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/StudyPlans ... yPlans.htm

Re the new building methods, Going to try to incorporate some of the methods used and recommended by Pigmy Boats, plus a couple of my own ideas. Not sure how they will work out yet. :oops:

Below is a comparison between cross sections of the North Wind and south Wind.
Attachments
North Wind 17.jpg
North Wind 17
North Wind 17.jpg (31.1 KiB) Viewed 6715 times
FrontRev01.jpg
South Wind 18
FrontRev01.jpg (33.69 KiB) Viewed 6713 times
Regards,
Mick
hairymick
Legendary Member

Postby bazzoo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:22 pm

Mick , thats really nice , looks stable and secondary stability should also be very good, i would think it would be quite fast through the water, the hard part will be to keep the weight down , beauty mate :D :D
cheers, barry

Stealth Splash 465
Old Town Loon111
Horizon predator TK1

We grow too soon OLD
and too late SMART
bazzoo
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: Old Town Loon and tk one -Stealth Splash

Postby troppo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:13 pm

I was wondering how you were going to approach keeping the weight down (The yak I mean, not you HairyMick.)

In my very limited experience, I was shocked when I worked out that my "Oh, I should put on another coat of saturating epoxy, just to make sure it is strong enough." and my, "Ah well, have some paint left, so nothing like another coat." put perhaps 2 kgs onto my little paddle board!
happy splashing - Troppo
Feelfree Nomad
. . . . more coming,
troppo
Legendary Member

Next

Return to DIY General