Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Best rod holder using rivets

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ad905 
#1 ·
Hey guys

Got a Yak (cheap one) and have no access to the inside to tighten any screws. I could really use a couple of rod holders on the side rather than between my legs. Any one know of a decent set up using rivets?

Cheers

AD

#2 ·
Buy a hatch and cut a big-ass hole in your yak that way you have access and storage.

#4 ·
RAM mounts, then movement at the ball will dampen jarring at base.

Recessed tube holders. You can the cut tube hole, adhere thickening pieces of backing behind screw holes and use longer self tapers. If you then want to use regular holders you attach them to the cap of a length of tube which slide into the recessed holders.

#7 ·
BIGKEV said:
Self tappers are more than adequate, just don't over tighten them and strip the thread, so probably best installed using one of those old fashioned screwdriver things, you know the metal stick with a handle....
Does there need to be something significant behind the screws? Or is the plastic enough? I am sure this depends on the Yak, but Ill be honest I have no idea how thick the plastic is.

#8 ·
How thick the plastic needs to be will depend to some extent on what you intend to fish for & what sort of gear you are using. I would be leaning toward scaters suggestion tho. Allows you to use bolts with backing plates & or large washers. Bit of storage will never go astray either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.