G'day Chis, thanks mate. :D

Quick approximate thumbnail

Epoxy & hardner X 4kgs .......................................$130.00

Graphite ..............................................................$ 30.00

Fibreglass matt X 11metres ..................................$130.00

cheap ply X 2 sheets 2000 X 1200 X 4mm...............$ 30.00

42 X 12 X 20 metres cheap fingerjoint pine.............$ 20.00

Sundry bits & pieces.............................................$ 30.00

About $370.00 give or take a little. :D :D :D I reckon that makes a pretty cheap 15 foot canoe.
The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis. Dante Alighieri
Regards,
Mick
hairymick
Legendary Member

Kayak: JEMWATERCRAFT Southwind Pirogue and Laker

Postby RedPhoenix » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:02 pm

Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWYlNjP4AAF1/gAA6AAFNJfyYi4BYSj//3mAwAObYGp6EQaCGpjKe1QNANGJsSEUzJGp6mmE0GmARkNNM0aAaaRNJkyGjIaaDIeoAGjJFqyQTMVj5TK3n2yd8cHDUpc9RNjnvppTNevF/5W/O1DhB7QjygkaKsa7b8PS+UsXcJ9tyO7iA5coBiweHHn+qEEz+KKQ4I1j1WeJKw9xYhKEEbyG4F1N4EMIKNGJYCFEQTsE2l3dwEgk6nRUVJDx1I4JWdDEWiAv8gdtrdO5dGbwtQ0BQffl49LGnOocYqgXOEtl2uii6MjOd3O9PUgWPs0fS0aHIB1sXI2xwGcLKmXYid4L6jSr9cmD4CAQrPpWh7b9sf8XckU4UJCJTYz+A
Last edited by RedPhoenix on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you all for the laughs, the advice, and the mateship. Can the last one on the site, please turn off the lights before you leave.
RedPhoenix
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: too many

Postby troppo » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:37 pm

I've just been admiring those sweet simple lines of ya new craft and the artificial wood finish that looks the real thing. . . . What! It is real wood? You are no doubt a crafstman as well as a gentleman. :D

Yup, you do a great job, HairyMick. If it were mine, I would have it somewhere I could look at it from time to time just to admire its finish.
happy splashing - Troppo
Feelfree Nomad
48 cm Blue Threadfin Salmon, 62 cm Wolf Herring, 52 cm Dusky Flathead, 51 cm Grunter
. . . . more coming,
can't wait to go yakking again!
troppo
Legendary Member

Postby fishtales » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:10 pm

Wow Hairy, that looks great. If it swims half as good as it looks you have really excelled.

Must be great satisfaction for you after all that work. Enjoy.

Chris
Hobie Sports Fisherman

Brisbane

Never test the depth of the water with both feet.
fishtales
Valued Member

Postby hairymick » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:14 pm

Thanks guys, i just love this boat. fast enough, a hoot to paddle and a darn good fishing platform.

Ross (Meoldchina) too this shot yesterday, Thanks mate.
Attachments
Poona 11-11-06 36 (Small).jpg
Poona 11-11-06 36 (Small).jpg (22.05 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis. Dante Alighieri
Regards,
Mick
hairymick
Legendary Member

Postby YakAtak » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:06 pm

How'd she go on a little bit of lumpy stuff Mick?
YakAtak
Legendary Member

Kayak: OK Scupper Pro

Postby hairymick » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:08 pm

G'day Karl,
How'd she go on a little bit of lumpy stuff Mick?

Bloody good mate, The only water to come in the boat was drips from the paddle. She's a bit heavier than a yak to punch into the wind but not nearly as hard as a canadian. I was a bit worried about the primary/secondary stability thing but it just kept bouncing over the chops like a cork. :D

Mate these boats are brilliant in the creeks, so much room, sitting nice & high for sight fishing and not such a hassle keeping everything nice & tidy. I just chuck stuff on the bottom where it is easy to reach. chuck fish up the bow under a wet bag till I can deal with them. :D
Regards,
Mick
hairymick
Legendary Member

Postby Flump » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:04 pm

Hi Mick,

Another great job there mate. The ride in those small waves looks really good, just looks like it cuts through them nicely and another bargin at sub $400!! Can't get much better than that. Is this another Jem design?

Cheers.......Nick
I will go kayak fishing more than twice in 2014.......
Flump
Veteran Member

Kayak: Timber + AI

Postby hairymick » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:04 am

Hi Nick,

Thanks mate. She is a Jem design but is a prototype and the plans are not available just yet. He wll be adding them to his fleet as soon as he can.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how well she handled that small chop. just scooted up & over no problem :D :D
Regards,
Mick
hairymick
Legendary Member

Postby hairymick » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:37 am

G'day Paul,

Thanks mate. Not sure now. I sold two of my off the shelf boats in the last couple of weeks. Long term plan is to replace them with wooden jobbies. :D
Regards,
Mick
hairymick
Legendary Member

Postby Flump » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:58 pm

A whole fleet of wooden yaks :shock: , cool! Who needs those crap plastic things with flippers :wink: . I take it the Bunyip has a flat bottom (with rocker) and two sides, or is there some V shape on the bottom?

I'm currently building a pdracer, but it's slow progress due to work :evil: . I've also got two new yaks on the drawing board at the moment. One will be a 3.4 metre 80cm wide beast which I think will be a really nice design with heaps of capacity. The other is the "top secret" CATyak project which I mentioned on Jem's website that I hold some promise for, have a few small issues with design (like angles of the central foil), but looks very good and stable on the drawing board - could make things very interesting. Also got a build diary on the go for Gamefisher which is up to 40 pages but has also been halted due to work issues.

Looking forward to your next offering mate..........Nick
I will go kayak fishing more than twice in 2014.......
Flump
Veteran Member

Kayak: Timber + AI

Postby hairymick » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:22 pm

G'day Nick, thanks mate. bunyip has a flat bottom and one panel per side and 1 inch rocker. I built her mainly because I wanted one but she has really surprised me with a nice turn of speed (for a canoe) and excellent sweetwater fishability.

I am prety much over the whole SOT thing at the moment and my current passion is for really nice solo canoes. There are a couple on Matts drawing boards that I am real keen to get my teeth into.

I think the plastic boats are fine rigs but they just don't appeal to me.
Regards,
Mick
hairymick
Legendary Member

Previous

Return to DIY General