DIY Rods • Ultra light stick. 2nd build.

Rod building, custom sticks

Ultra light stick. 2nd build.

Postby Evoids » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Finally got around to doing another build. Got lucky and got a couple of mudhole vouchers along with a shimano 1000fd symetre over christmas and my birthday. So I decided to build a rod to go with the symetre. Read some reviews and decided on a Phenix Mirage Ultra-light, 6'7", 1-5lb, one piece blank. Very light blank and due to how thin it was I purchased a few different styles of EVA grip to try out on it. This turned out to be very fortunate as I later found out. Anyway, on to the pictures.

Heres the handle all assembled before epoxy. I actually had to lathe the grips down a bit to fit with the skeleton reel seat. Used a cordless drill and some sandpaper!
ph0.jpg

And here it is after epoxy. I found the epoxy made the plain colours darker and the metallic colours brighter!
ph1.jpg

Had trouble with the decals again. I was going to go for Gra's approach which was to simply clean the blank, apply the decal and epoxy over the top. Unfortunately the rod had many little ridges along the blank and after trying to stick down a spare bit of decal on this I realised I would need a flat surface. So I put down a layer of epoxy with the decal on top, but it still lifted while it was drying even after making sure the epoxy was clean and using the tape method to put the decal down. I ended up taking a razor to some of the edges that lifted up and doing another coat of epoxy over the top so its a tad messy in spots but not as bad as I thought it would be.
ph2.jpg

Unfortunately I ordered the wrong winding checks for my skeleton reel seat. I only realised this after attempting a dry run on the rod. As you can see in the pic I ended up cutting a tiny disk off some of the spare EVA I ordered and shaping it to fit into the skeleton reel seat insides. Doesn't look the best but it does the job and looks better than a gaping hole with a red winding check.
ph6.jpg

Used alconite guides for the rod. No problems here, although I still need a bit of practice with trim bands and single band inlays. My blank had a bend in it this time as well but fortunately it was on the opposite side of the spine so it was all very easy to line the guides up.
ph3.jpg

ph4.jpg

ph5.jpg

So thats it for my second build! I'm happy with how it turned out and can't wait to use it. The plan is to spool up the symetre with 3lb fluro straight through and then go attack the resident bream population once this rain goes away!
Pb's! Bream - 36cm-Flathead - 65cm-Estuary Cod - 36cm-Fingermark - 25cm-Trevally - 33cm-Jewfish - 58cm-Tarpon - 50cm to tip-Tailor - 45cm
Evoids
Veteran Member

Kayak: Viking Nemo w fishkit.

Re: Ultra light stick. 2nd build.

Postby Thegaff » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:26 pm

Looks great.
Adam
Thegaff
Valued Member

Kayak: Viking Profish

Postby anselmo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:05 pm

Very nice evoids
Well done you
anselmo
Legendary Member

Kayak: Kkk

Postby Evoids » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Cheers guys! I'm really proud of this little stick.

And cheers Jon, I think the red trim bands turned out ok at the bottom of the guides. But there is a silver band near the top that's difficult to see because of the glare. I had a bit of trouble with starting and ending them and it sometimes made them look a little dodge, especially on the smaller guides. I didn't even both with the silver on the top 3 or 4, just did the red trim band at the bottom of the guide.
Pb's! Bream - 36cm-Flathead - 65cm-Estuary Cod - 36cm-Fingermark - 25cm-Trevally - 33cm-Jewfish - 58cm-Tarpon - 50cm to tip-Tailor - 45cm
Evoids
Veteran Member

Postby Evoids » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:58 pm

Cheers for the kind words Gra! I'd hoped to get it out on the water this weekend but I have to fly to Adelaide for work so it will have to wait till next weekend with hopefully some pics to follow. Assuming the weather holds out of course!
Evoids
Veteran Member

Postby bundyboy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:43 pm

What do you think of the rod Evoids, I'm looking at buying the same rod or an Elixir for my ultralight stuff if I can find one? Do you know anywhere in Aus that sells these rods (not just the blanks)?
Yak PB's; Flatty 67cm, Spanish Mac ~60cm, Golden Trev 96cm, Spotty Mac 64cm, Wolf Herring 62cm, Giant Trev 48cm, Bream 33.5cm, Jack 45cm, Threadfin Salmon 88cm, Whiting 38cm, Salty Barra 83cm, Queeny 61cm, School Mac 66cm, Tarpon 49cm, Giant Herring 59cm, Sooty 46cm, Fingermark 60cm, Toga 76cm
bundyboy
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie Revolution and Oasis

Postby HAWKEYE3 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:09 pm

A nice job and undoubtedly very satisfying outcome. Best wishes with the fish

Ian
HAWKEYE3
Valued Member

Kayak: Viking Tempo fisherman 2 HOBIE PROANGLER PA 14

Postby blueyak » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:59 pm

Nice looking rod
blueyak
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie Outback

Postby Scott » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Sorry missed this the first time around. Nice looking blank, tasteful build. Can i please ask you to show me a pic of the finished rod loaded up as in my ignorance i am not familiar with this blank?
Scott
Site Administrator

Kayak: A shed full

Postby Evoids » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:14 pm

bundyboy wrote:What do you think of the rod Evoids, I'm looking at buying the same rod or an Elixir for my ultralight stuff if I can find one? Do you know anywhere in Aus that sells these rods (not just the blanks)?

Hey bundyboy, sent you a pm regarding phenix blanks.

Scott wrote:Sorry missed this the first time around. Nice looking blank, tasteful build. Can i please ask you to show me a pic of the finished rod loaded up as in my ignorance i am not familiar with this blank?

Scott do you mean loaded up with line/weight or just a pic with the reel etc on the rod?

And Cheers for the compliments lads. I hope to start on another rod soon. Wanting to build a baitcaster with a murri theme on the thread for my old boy to honour his/my heritage.
Evoids
Veteran Member

Return to DIY Rods