DIY Rods • Rod building questions - eva split grips

Rod building, custom sticks

Rod building questions - eva split grips

Postby Evoids » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi all,

Just thought I'd pose a couple of questions to the pro's on this forum regarding split grips and eva. I'm building an ultra-light rod with eva split grips and a skeleton reel seat. My questions were as follows;

1. Do you need to clamp eva grips when bonding them to a blank.
and
2. What suggestions would you give regarding the order of gluing all the parts of the grip assembly together. The usual bottom up? Is there any trip in gluing up skeleton reel seats? Whats the easiest way to clamp split grips (if you need to clamp eva)?

I know you all would know what a skeleton reel seat and split grips look like but I've put a pic up anyway that might help.

rod grip.jpg

Cheers for any advice.
Pb's! Bream - 36cm-Flathead - 65cm-Estuary Cod - 36cm-Fingermark - 25cm-Trevally - 33cm-Jewfish - 58cm-Tarpon - 50cm to tip-Tailor - 45cm
Evoids
Veteran Member

Kayak: Viking Nemo w fishkit.

Re: Rod building questions - eva split grips

Postby anselmo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:51 pm

Evoids wrote:Hi all,

Just thought I'd pose a couple of questions to the pro's on this forum regarding split grips and eva. I'm building an ultra-light rod with eva split grips and a skeleton reel seat. My questions were as follows;

1. Do you need to clamp eva grips when bonding them to a blank.
and
2. What suggestions would you give regarding the order of gluing all the parts of the grip assembly together. The usual bottom up? Is there any trip in gluing up skeleton reel seats? Whats the easiest way to clamp split grips (if you need to clamp eva)?

I know you all would know what a skeleton reel seat and split grips look like but I've put a pic up anyway that might help.

rod grip.jpg

Cheers for any advice.

Start at the butt and work forward
No need to clamp Eva grips, they should be a firm to tight friction fit anyway
If you can slide them on and off easily they are probably too loose, remember the glue is there to bond the Gris to the blank, not to fill gaps

When I've on multi sections like yours I tend to do a section a day
In your case:
Day 1 butt grip (butt cap is the very last job I do on a rod - allows me to balance the rod with the reel that will be used)
Day 2 rear grip and rear seat
Day 3 front seat and grip

Of course nothing wrong with doing them all in one day as well
anselmo
Legendary Member

Kayak: Kkk

Postby Evoids » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:09 am

Makes sense Nick. Cheers!
Pb's! Bream - 36cm-Flathead - 65cm-Estuary Cod - 36cm-Fingermark - 25cm-Trevally - 33cm-Jewfish - 58cm-Tarpon - 50cm to tip-Tailor - 45cm
Evoids
Veteran Member

Kayak: Viking Nemo w fishkit.

Postby anselmo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:15 am

De nada
anselmo
Legendary Member

Kayak: Kkk

Return to DIY Rods