DIY Rods • First Build. Long way coming and a learning curve.

Rod building, custom sticks

First Build. Long way coming and a learning curve.

Postby Evoids » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:30 am

Rightio!

So after many questions to the rod builders of this forum and a very slow process my first build is done. I enjoyed every part of the process immensely and it was made that much smoother by the answers I received from the forum.

The specs,

MHX DS820-Blend Blank - (6'10", 2-4 kg, 1/16-1/32 oz lure weight, 1 piece)
American Tackle Company halide ring guides.
ATC Reel seat and cork grips.

Tried to keep this one simple as it was my first. Simply attached everything where it was supposed to go. Had a few difficulties on the way but thats what the first rod is for.

1.JPG

2.JPG

4.JPG

6.JPG

f1.JPG

A touch of colour on the hook keeper.

f2.JPG

Plain black wraps.

Difficulties and things learned -

-There was a slight curve in my blank. I ended up building on the spine as suggested although this made it a pain to line the guides up. Eventually got it looking schmicko.

-Tip top glue sets very quickly. Ended up having to carefully reheat a few times to get this lined up.

-Guide finish also sets quickly, especially when applying in a hot garage on a 32 degree day. Ended up having to remix a small batch as the one I was using started to set.

-Ran into trouble with the decal. After putting down a coat of epoxy and waiting for it to set I put the decal on above my hook keeper. Unfortunately the decal started to lift after I'd applied epoxy over the top. Ended up pulling it off and smoothing the surrounding epoxy out but now I have no decal. Not sure if this was caused by the heat but I still have the option of ordering another and applying it in the same spot.

-Had a bit of glue seepage on the butt cap. Must remember to clean this up better and use a little less glue next time.

-My work bench is a tad short. Might have to try a two piece for the next rod until I can get a longer bench set up.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I seriously enjoyed this and cant wait to start on the next one.
Pb's! Bream - 36cm-Flathead - 65cm-Estuary Cod - 36cm-Fingermark - 25cm-Trevally - 33cm-Jewfish - 58cm-Tarpon - 50cm to tip-Tailor - 45cm
Evoids
Veteran Member

Kayak: Viking Nemo w fishkit.

Re: First Build. Long way coming and a learning curve.

Postby BIGKEV » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:40 am

Excellent Evan, looks fantastic. I can't even begin to imagine the sense of satisfaction that you must be feeling holding a finished rod you built yourself.

When are you going to christen it?

Kev
Mod Edit
BIGKEV
Legendary Member

Kayak: Profish+Nemo+Stealth Evo 495 - Blue Bagger

Postby Evoids » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks for the kind words Kev. Its just awesome holding it and I can't wait to use it. I'll probably get out sometime this week and try and christen it. Been having a bit of a donut streak the past few trips so hopefully the custom rod can put this right!
Pb's! Bream - 36cm-Flathead - 65cm-Estuary Cod - 36cm-Fingermark - 25cm-Trevally - 33cm-Jewfish - 58cm-Tarpon - 50cm to tip-Tailor - 45cm
Evoids
Veteran Member

Postby anselmo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Nice job
Your wraps turned out well

The heat would have turbed your epoxy quicker, but the lack of bubbles is very good
anselmo
Legendary Member

Kayak: Kkk

Postby gcfisho » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Looks good must be very satisfying and even more so i would imagine when you start pulling in fish on it.
gcfisho
Veteran Member

Kayak: hobie revolution and pacer .

Postby Evoids » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:27 pm

anselmo wrote:Nice job
Your wraps turned out well

The heat would have turbed your epoxy quicker, but the lack of bubbles is very good

Thanks Anselmo. There were a few bubbles, very minor though. Maybe 1 little bubble for every second or third guide. I'll keep a closer eye on the wraps after I epoxy next time I think.

nezevic wrote:Looks good Evoids. Don't forget to skite about the fish you catch on it!!

gcfisho wrote:Looks good must be very satisfying and even more so i would imagine when you start pulling in fish on it.

Cheers guys. I caught a couple of little bream with it yesterday but that was it. Looking forward to hooking up to something a bit more substantial to really put it through its paces.
Evoids
Veteran Member

Return to DIY Rods