DIY Rods • Curved Blank

Rod building, custom sticks

Curved Blank

Postby Evoids » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:57 am

Hey guys,

Slowly but surely getting there with my rod build but I noticed a potential problem the other day. As it is, I have everything attached to the rod that needs to be attached. Grips, reel seat, hook keeper, all guides and tip top. Now I was aligning the guides getting them ready for the finish and I was having a bit of trouble doing this. When I eyed down the guides I noticed a slight curve in the blank. I freaked out, thinking that I'd built off the spine but after numerous tests I am confident that I've put the guides on the spine of the blank. I've no idea how I missed this curve early on.
The blank itself seems to curve to the right at the very tip. Not by much, maybe 5-10mm off centre. When I loaded the road up it felt nice, the line ran through in a nice curve and all seemed well. But I was wondering if this is common? If its a complete strip and rebuild? Is it possible to correct this in a graphite blank?

Cheers for any answers/suggestions. I hope once this is cleared up I'll be able to post a thread which isn't full of questions but full of finished rod pictures!!!
Pb's! Bream - 36cm-Flathead - 65cm-Estuary Cod - 36cm-Fingermark - 25cm-Trevally - 33cm-Jewfish - 58cm-Tarpon - 50cm to tip-Tailor - 45cm
Evoids
Veteran Member

Kayak: Viking Nemo w fishkit.

Re: Curved Blank

Postby anselmo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Evoids wrote:Hey guys,

Slowly but surely getting there with my rod build but I noticed a potential problem the other day. As it is, I have everything attached to the rod that needs to be attached. Grips, reel seat, hook keeper, all guides and tip top. Now I was aligning the guides getting them ready for the finish and I was having a bit of trouble doing this. When I eyed down the guides I noticed a slight curve in the blank. I freaked out, thinking that I'd built off the spine but after numerous tests I am confident that I've put the guides on the spine of the blank. I've no idea how I missed this curve early on.
The blank itself seems to curve to the right at the very tip. Not by much, maybe 5-10mm off centre. When I loaded the road up it felt nice, the line ran through in a nice curve and all seemed well. But I was wondering if this is common? If its a complete strip and rebuild? Is it possible to correct this in a graphite blank?

Cheers for any answers/suggestions. I hope once this is cleared up I'll be able to post a thread which isn't full of questions but full of finished rod pictures!!!

It's normal
Not desirable, but due to the manufacturing porocess it does happen sometimes - within a tolerance level
You see it commonly in commercially built rods especially where the cost implications of rejecting blanks due to cosmetics rather than performance issues means they get used where a custom buoilder would reject them
If you ever buy a factory second rod or blank this would be the most common reason for them being tagged as a second

It's unfortunately one of the disadvantages of inline buying - you can't get a bunch of the same thing and pick one that straight
When I still bought factory rods I would only buy them in a store if I could pick up 4 or 5 of them and check them for straightness, proper wrappings and epoxying and making sure they were built on the spine
You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) how many factory rods are built off spine - even well known brands tend to look at cosmetics and build based on the straightest axis rather than the spine l**mis)

My advice (FWIW) Leave it - as is it won't make any difference to performance and adds character

To give some idea around this:
I have a factory built 13' float rod (for coarse fishing)
At the tip the blank goes like this

---------8----------8-----_-----P

Where 8 are guides and P is the tip guide
It looks funny but seriously, that close the the tip guide, the blank doesn't actually bend there anyway (unless I'm doing something seriously wrong)
anselmo
Legendary Member

Kayak: Kkk

Postby anselmo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:53 pm

I like this advice:

gra wrote:get another beer

gra wrote:I'm about to post a build that will ease your mind as to whether or not it will affect any casting etc. Gra

Acid wrap?
anselmo
Legendary Member

Postby anselmo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:27 pm

gra wrote:Dont take the brown acid.

It comes in brown now?

Cool

Mods: This is a joke and I don't advocate or endorse the use of recreational drugs
Please don't hurt me
anselmo
Legendary Member

Postby Evoids » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:23 am

Awesome guys. Thanks for easing my mind. Now the task of getting the guides properly aligned at the tip. Its a bit tricky because of the slight curve, but once thats done its on with the finish and time to post up the pictures!
Pb's! Bream - 36cm-Flathead - 65cm-Estuary Cod - 36cm-Fingermark - 25cm-Trevally - 33cm-Jewfish - 58cm-Tarpon - 50cm to tip-Tailor - 45cm
Evoids
Veteran Member

Kayak: Viking Nemo w fishkit.

Return to DIY Rods