Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Return to an early style Oval

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Dodge 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
After one of my earlier Anon Ovals [O55m] landed a fish last week decided to make a couple more, as the same lure has scored on a number of occasions, and was lucky to find a couple of ovals I had already cut during the DIY Simple Lure thread.

Sunday arvo, in an hour carved the 2 ovals with a Stanley knife and sandpaper, made a couple of bibs, and also twisted 4 eyes to suit took about 60 minutes, then after tea set the bib and eyelets in place with the Araldite and left it overnight to cure.

Monday morning, painted red, black, white, and gold glitter with acrlylic paint, and also labelled them with the gold Uniball gel pen, using the heat gun it probably took another hour, after smoko inserted the tow point.

Might add here I no longer use the "Anon eye" since using the Uniball pen to identify the lure, as the pen is so easy to use for labelling a lure, the eyeball is now just a black permanent marker pen dot.

Applied 3 x coats of Cabothane clear gloss at 12pm, 3pm, and 9pm to complete the painting, and maybe 15 minutes each time

Tuesday morning, added trebles and rings and gave them a pool test where they got pass mark, and now just need a bass to inhale one on the water.

For anyone wanting to try making a lure there is no easier shape to do than an oval, and just have the underside narrower than the shoulders and it will sit nicely in the water, and you get a lure for about a $1a pop.

The bib slot was wrong on the early lure and the poly bib had to be bent to make it dive, the later one has the bib slot which now angles the bib correctly....the early had an M bib which was my code I no longer use [M was medium] and the present C bib is very close but more round at the entry
IMG_0962.JPG

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Gatesy said:
Where is the pink one set to dive to around 5 ft? :)

Looking good mate. What fish are you getting on them?
Gatesy the early oval goes to about 2m I think, and expect to get deeper on the 2 newer ones with better styled bib ....bass and yellers are mostly the target.

BTW: this shape will probably be the starting point for Olivka's lure

Penno said:
Will use be using these on Sunday
Penno if the wind eases might give them a run later this week at Hinze, but on the weekend will be at home mate.

Next w/e trip will be the club outing at Currumbin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.