Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

A basic Nav light

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  squidlips 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Went out for a quick fish last nite with my mate who is notorious for disappearing into the nite - only to resurface once I rtn to the ramp. Anyway, after the last time, I said that I wasn't going anywhere with him at nite until he had a decent anchor light. He immediately threw $100 at a new railblaza LED - perfect! As for me tho, I couldn't afford more than about $25, so here is what I came up with using an LED camping lamp that is infrequently used and an old railblaza part.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So all up total cost $6.60. Funny thing is my mate turns up with the $100 job and it is only about 300mm long, so with it mounted behind him I couldn't see him from the front at all. He now has to buy a special extension (I'm sure that will be cheap) :lol:

Dodgy but effective!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Squidlips

Interesting setup with the camping lantern you made. I have looked at several and they seem to have quite a large square base which is okay for standing on its own but yours looks like it would be easier to mount.
How far away do you reckon you can see your light. I am not sure what to get because it is so hard to test the lights in the shop.
Cheers
Bob

#5 ·
Rockster said:
Hi Squidlips

Interesting setup with the camping lantern you made. I have looked at several and they seem to have quite a large square base which is okay for standing on its own but yours looks like it would be easier to mount.
How far away do you reckon you can see your light. I am not sure what to get because it is so hard to test the lights in the shop.
Cheers
Bob
Bob, that little coleman lantern is LED (AA) and lit me up like a street light! OK - that might be a slight exaggeration but it certainly cast enough light to be seen easily from at least a kilometre away over calm water, and had the advantage of allowing me to tie knots, re-bait etc without me having to muck around switching on my headlamp. It was a quick knock together - ugly, simple but effective.

#6 ·
laneends said:
I guess the issue with makeshift lights is if you go over in the dark will it still be there and working after a dunking?
Yep true, however I always have my headlamp in any case and you can always minimise the risk of a capsize occurring. At the end of the day it is up to the individual to think that one through. I'm not made of money so usually have to come up with a cheap option. If you don't mind parting with the big dollars, more power to you. That said, I know plenty of people who have bought flashy gear only to find out it ain't so flashy once it gets it's first dose of rain, salt spray or a dunking. Horses for courses.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.