Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Tethering

11K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  vikodin 
#1 ·
In his thread about learning from the weekend (Main Forum) Artie mentions that he normally tethers everything. Others seem to do this too and with the amount of rods, nets, pliers tackle boxes etc etc some people must have a lot of strings attached.

Personally I've moved away from tethering everything as my paddle and rods leashes always seemed to tangle with each other and it bothered me what might happen if arms and legs got caught up with them in a capsize. My situation is different from most yak fishers in that I use a sit in and this means less storage space, therefore less gear. It also means that if I go over then I need to actively get out - I won't just fall off. I'm quite comfortable with the set up at present except that I don't even have my paddle leashed so it is always in mind that it must be kept track of no matter what.

So, for those with lots of tethered gear is there a way to avoid the tangles or does it just not happen? There must be some of you with SOTs that are loaded with heaps of stuff that have capsized and survived but have any of you had a problem with entanglement?

#2 ·
I've never capsized (unintentionally) but tether my gear just in case. I carry a safety knife strapped to my pfd for purely the entanglement factor.

Marty

#3 ·
I only tether rods and paddle. Other accesories like knife and pliers i have attached floats to (like the ones boaties attach keys to). Sure they could float off but if im that inattentive i deserve to lose them! I also have a safety knife attached to the pfd just in case.

#4 ·
I tether Rods, brag mat and spare water to rear bungy.
Floating pliers, knife and modified net.
Camera in a dry bag (floats) around my neck with PLB.
Whistle and knife tethered to PFD.
Phone in dry bag in PFD with power bars.
Water in a bladder in the back of my PDF.
No paddle leash (I can chase my paddle with mirage drive).
All else safe below deck.

I'm considering tethering myself to the yak if offshore.

G
#5 ·
Ado said:
I'm considering tethering myself to the yak if offshore.
Should only need to do that if its windy.
I teather my rods all the time and paddle most the time. Last weekend the theathers saved my rods. I only ever have 2 rod on the deck at once and everything esle is in the hull.

#7 ·
Day hatch holds phone, flares, spare lures and tackle, paddle float, bait. No tethers.

Lashed to the deck, or at least stowed under deck bungies, spare paddle, gaff, lip grips, water bottles.

Rods are locked in, in a Scotty triple system. This is not ideal because if I go turtle I'd like an easy route back up. Deck mount rod holders would be better, then the rods would need tethers.

Tether to my primary paddle. On my SIK, that's the only tether. On my SOT add in tethers to the rods.

So on my SIK, one tether only, my paddle.

#8 ·
I have often thought of tethering myself to the yak when in adverse conditions instead of just tethering the paddle and hoping i remember to hang on to it. In my ignorance i can't really see how a surfboard style leg rope could get you in too much trouble when tethered to the front of the yak.

#10 ·
#12 ·
Pretty much every day outside. Pretty much no days on the lakes.
It's when the risk of not being tethered outweighs the risk of getting tangled up in the tether.

#14 ·
i agree, keep your work space clear and you'll have no dramas, another bonus your not gunna snag your self on a nice set of trebles :D
Personaly i keep most my gear in the hull as found the amount of leashes just got in the way, so keep your gear organised and leash anything up top that you dont want to lose.
Leash it or lose it!

#15 ·
#17 ·
I tether nothing.
I'm happier that way.
I've lost two rods in the past, one was tethered but the tether broke. The other was completely my fault.
I do lose pliers, bragmats etc. on a regular basis but I don't know if I drop them over the side or forget them when packing up or even drop them out of the car.

#18 ·
Scott said:
By everything Trev, do you mean yourself? If so is a leg rope the to the bow the best method?
I haven't Scott, because that can bring it's own problems, as well as the solution to losing your yak. One thing about a tether to the yakker is that it has to be:
1. Tied to the yakker where it cannot injure him/her (e.g. drown them while being towed, and not disabling the yakker while being towed e.g. (attached to an AI/TI while it is still motoring under sai.).
2. It must be very strong - far stronger than a rod or paddle leash, and this means in the event of entanglement, much harder to cut. I recommend a safety knife on everyone's PFD.

e.g. http://www.safe4work.com.au/Products/10 ... 09137.aspx

Obviously on an AI the risk of the yak leaving you is much higher. I found that leaving the rudder alone for while (simulating a man overboard scenario) that it does eventually turn up into wind. Problem is
1 I jam the rudder with a piece of bungy,
2. and even if it rounds up, it is still probably going to blow away from you faster than you can swim (in moderate to strong winds). :shock: .... which would not be pretty if you are halfway to Flinders or Moreton Islands.

trev

#19 ·
kayakone said:
Scott said:
By everything Trev, do you mean yourself? If so is a leg rope the to the bow the best method?
I haven't Scott, because that can bring it's own problems, as well as the solution to losing your yak. One thing about a tether to the yakker is that it has to be:
1. Tied to the yakker where it cannot injure him/her (e.g. drown them while being towed).
2. It must be very strong - far stronger than a rod or paddle leash, and this means in the event of entanglement, much harder to cut. I recommend a safety knife on anyone's PFD.

trev
Surf board leg rope proves its self pretty well and easier enough the cut through if you cant release it from the velcro strap.

#21 ·
nezevic said:
I have broken a leg rope tethered to my paddle in the surf. I hung on for dear life to the paddle, expecting the kayak to pull me along. Nope. The kayak took off and the tether parted with a bang.
Shit, there goes that idea :/
Maybe two :lol:

#23 ·
burnsie8495 said:
Surf board leg rope proves its self pretty well and easier enough the cut through if you cant release it from the velcro strap.
nezevic said:
I have broken a leg rope tethered to my paddle in the surf. I hung on for dear life to the paddle, expecting the kayak to pull me along. Nope. The kayak took off and the tether parted with a bang.
Correct. In nezevic's case the surfboard leg rope is acting as a person leash. This is a common result when yakkers are knocked off in surf....having been pounded once, it is natural to reach for the paddle ("a drowning man will reach for a straw"). Shock loads of up to 30 + kgs (estimating) occur. On recent SE Qld Safety Days, the instructor pointed out that many leashes have components that fail when given a test simulating actual shock loads. It could also be the attachment fitting on the yak....he showed us several that looked like they weren't up to scratch.

The point is: If you use a leash for anything, ensure it will take far more than the maximum loads it could be subjected to, otherwise you'll be in for a shock, and the loss of a rod, paddle, yak, or your life (not necessarily in order of importance :shock: ). Allow for UV degradation in the life of all components of the leash and its attachment point on the yak. The shock loads in surf on a paddle or, far greater again, a person, are MASSIVE.

Get serious, and test your leashes (it would be interesting to see actual readings of the loads imposed - 'Choice' magazine challenge, or PhD for a surfer?). Maybe use a spring balance to see the results (would need an observer, and both would need eye protection at least).

Example on rod leashes: I use 4 mm bungy. I have tried fairly hard to break it, but cannot, and am therefore satisfied it will take a pounding in surf. There is strength in the give of bungy (they are however, quite long, and a little housekeeping is required). Someone may have a better solution.

trev

#24 ·
Zonbie said:
I too am interested in advice on personal tethering.

I found this link on the 'web.

http://shop.feathercraft.com/collections/safety/products/personal-tether

What is the local opinion on personal tethering, and also on this gadget?

Regards, Steve
Dont ever tether your self to a kayak, its dangerous.

Do a safety course with a certified instructor and learn how to save yourself if you get knocked off, or at least practice yourself re entering a kayak. People who tend to want to tether themselves to a kayak are usually the same people who have never done a kayak safety coarse.

Use a paddle leash which will give you the option of letting go of the paddle if you need to........and there are plenty of circumstance where you wouldnt want to be attached to the kayak, like being run over by a boat, or being hit by a rouge wave next rocks etc.

#25 ·
I don't hold a paddle AWTY. I have a pedal yak, so that doesn't work for me.
I would never consider tethering on launch or landing.
But if I'm not tethered and it's blowing 15 knots, how do I stay in contact with my kayak if I go over?
I have never tethered myself in the past due to the risks. But there are significant risks on not tethering too.

#26 ·
Ado said:
I don't hold a paddle AWTY. I have a pedal yak, so that doesn't work for me.
I would never consider tethering on launch or landing.
But if I'm not tethered and it's blowing 15 knots, how do I stay in contact with my kayak if I go over?
I have never tethered myself in the past due to the risks. But there are significant risks on not tethering too.
Doesn't even need to be 15 knots
Once the biggest weight is removed from a yak (our collective fat asses) they sit higher in the water and are affected by wind a LOT easier, even when upside down
even a slight breeze can have the yak disappearing from your swimming range pretty quickly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.