Safety • Safety list for kayaks

A special forum for a very important subject.

Safety list for kayaks

Postby GB1 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:59 pm

Hi guys

Been new to all this has me wondering what sort of safety gear you guys carry, we have a basic list here (which changes all the while) but I thought it would be interesting to see if we differ in any ways between the north and southern hemisphires and why.

Cheers GB1 :)
GB1

Postby Dodge » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:10 pm

GB I don't go offshore [estuary, river and dams only] so the only safety gear I have is my PDF
Cheers RICHO

member of Team Old Farts and Team GREEN GINGER

Kayaks ..... Perception Swing, yellow/lime "T IV" on UHF 29 ..... Pacer, pink ..... homemade timber Anon Lures

Accept that some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue
Dodge
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: Perception Swing on UHF29 - and Pacer

Postby HiRAEdd » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:46 am

Mobile phone (in waterproof case)
PFD
And generally don't go offshore alone.

Could be useful to others to post your list here.
HiRAEdd
Elite Member

Kayak: Malibu X-13

Postby RedPhoenix » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:55 am

Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

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
Last edited by RedPhoenix on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you all for the laughs, the advice, and the mateship. Can the last one on the site, please turn off the lights before you leave.
RedPhoenix
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: too many

Postby Peril » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:13 pm

pfd type2, with reflective strips on back
whistle, attached to pfd (surprised noone else has mentioned these)
mobile, in waterproof case
lightweight, full length clothing (I've been in the drink in this stuff and its no hindrance and dries quickly, and provides full protection from the sun)
2-3mm steamer in winter
hat
sunblock
2l water bladder
ImageAnything else is just fishing
Peril
Legendary Member

Kayak: yes

Postby Blaen » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:02 pm

Open Water:
PFD 1, very yellow and visible
Long Johns wet suit and booties
Whistle attached to the PFD
Arafat style hat
Sun Block UPF30+
Columbia Fishing Shirt (high UPF rating)
Mobile Phone in water proof case
Paddle, hey my ride is a Hobie, so a paddle is a piece of safety equipment.
Norstream Angler Gloves (neoprene for cold Tassie mornings)
Torch, just in case I am out after dark or predawn.
Spare set of clothes, stuffed into a dry bag.
2 x 1 litre water bottles

Closed water
All of the above
only exception is a PFD 3, which I have just ordered as seen below
Attachments
ANGLER%20Dorado[1].jpg
ANGLER%20Dorado[1].jpg (52.36 KiB) Viewed 4811 times
Cheers
John
Never argue with an idiot, it just lowers you to his level and from there he will beat you with his experience every time!
Just started a blog http://www.maketimetoreadit.blogspot.com/
Yak PBs: mostly small
Blaen
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie Outback 2010

Postby YakAtak » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:03 pm

Blaen, that's a nice looking PFD, how much and where did you order it from?
YakAtak
Legendary Member

Kayak: OK Scupper Pro

Postby Blaen » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:49 pm

YakAtak wrote:Blaen, that's a nice looking PFD, how much and where did you order it from?

This is the manufacturer's URL:
http://www.mtiadventurewear.com/products/angler/dorado.php

I am getting it from Roaring 40's SeaKayaks down here in Hobart, can be contacted on 03 62675000, no final price yet but should come in under $130'ish.
Cheers
John
Never argue with an idiot, it just lowers you to his level and from there he will beat you with his experience every time!
Just started a blog http://www.maketimetoreadit.blogspot.com/
Yak PBs: mostly small
Blaen
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie Outback 2010

Postby YakAtak » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:52 pm

Thanks mate ;)
YakAtak
Legendary Member

Kayak: OK Scupper Pro

Postby RedPhoenix » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:42 pm

Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWRy6eewAADffgAASUOOAEqBhHIo/7/6gMAEBgNNQExEyj0yJmmjRpp6mKGGhkNMmgGIaaaNDRg0mEETyTTEZGgAAFEF8cvLQKkqHaAP2e68lqHLFujNaFb+Ge3ex+58HRDDLCmFhm58rl1s+0zZJu/JP6a4LHrKWyRE+/HuUJ+KDNMn+j5uN52UJc7UcOdgkIuc+iCncSq60bRR+E8wqVgVw/JHFyjjbrWa6G6vzpihFVwtWTBsWVQGxC9LxglcW6VvjNoJhdSOClEODzlWaczqcuJh5kbhlOCUmWbDOwLwWDgkJeJjF7tJdwg7crZGr3JeaoyuYI6y/5kxW1SJMxRIWG2RHGYjIBrqhQmiGUjFHiP6H4wg4CegGNQSEd38XckU4UJAcunns
Last edited by RedPhoenix on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you all for the laughs, the advice, and the mateship. Can the last one on the site, please turn off the lights before you leave.
RedPhoenix
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Postby devo » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:31 pm

It is worth noting that if you are out of service range from your mobile phone provider , "000" may not work. If you dial " 112" this will connect you via the nearest service available and put you thru to emergency.
cheers
Devo
devo

Postby RedPhoenix » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:38 pm

Red.

----

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
Last edited by RedPhoenix on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedPhoenix
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Postby devo » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:07 pm

From what I understand "112" is the worldwide emergency number for
all GSM mobile phones .( I am also on a 4WD forum - EXPLOROZ and first came across the 112 information there.)

Check out the following links for more details

http://emergencycalls.aca.gov.au/callin ... obiles.htm
http://www.amta.org.au/default.asp?Page=40

Hope this helps
devo
devo

Postby Peril » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:18 pm

devo wrote:From what I understand "112" is the worldwide emergency number for
all GSM mobile phones .( I am also on a 4WD forum - EXPLOROZ and first came across the 112 information there.)

Check out the following links for more details

http://emergencycalls.aca.gov.au/callin ... obiles.htm
http://www.amta.org.au/default.asp?Page=40

Hope this helps
devo

Thats correct. 112 is specified in the standards for GSM. Local countries are allowed to have their own number, like 000, but the carriers must support 112. A lot of phones when out of range will display something like ""Emergency calls only". Thats when 112 is still working. Note that 112 may not work for CDMA phones.
ImageAnything else is just fishing
Peril
Legendary Member

Kayak: yes

Postby Dodge » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:28 pm

redphoenix wrote:
One advantage of using the coastal patrol though, Matt, is that you can 'log in' with the coastal patrol, and provide them with an estimate of off-water time. If it gets past that time, and you haven't checked in, they can send out the cavalry.

Red they give a little latitude but not much if your haven't reported a return, if running late its easy to extend, and your logged ETA is adjusted in case there is a change in shift personel...on return logging off is as important as the log in for obvious reasons.

When you are overdue the ASR just ask boats who are in the immediate area you nominated to have a look before launching a full rescue effort.

I dragged a bloke out of Moreton Bay at night many years ago after such a notification many years ago, he had been in for about 2 hours and nearly 30 odd boats were looking...quite a funny story his going into the drink
Cheers RICHO

member of Team Old Farts and Team GREEN GINGER

Kayaks ..... Perception Swing, yellow/lime "T IV" on UHF 29 ..... Pacer, pink ..... homemade timber Anon Lures

Accept that some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue
Dodge
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: Perception Swing on UHF29 - and Pacer

Next

Return to Safety