Safety • The Importance of Staying with your Kayak.

A special forum for a very important subject.

Re: The Importance of Staying with your Kayak.

Postby Zonbie » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:42 pm

KingCobe wrote:
kayakone wrote:GT

5 - 6 mm bungy will never break. I suggest you use this for your paddles leash, to a point on the kayak that cannot break. The best knot at the kayak end is a half hitched locked bowline, which should have large mudguard washers under it to make it fail-safe under any load. I will post a photo of the leash to paddle knot tomorrow, which can be released one handed.

Cheers

Mate I would be keen to sus this out , I have a leash from bcf that broke in the surf

I have lost my kayak a few times and don't enjoy loosing it very much

K1 I too would be keen to see more info from you t e the never break paddle leash and the way you have yours set up. I had one rip in half in the surf at Tweed heads. The yak was was gooornn, and I was there floating about with a paddle in my hand. At least it headed to the shoreline though. I paid real money for that leash too. It was a bit like a short leg rope, and the swivel fitting just ripped off the rubber.

Anyway, as I said, I too am keen to see/learn more of your set up.
Zonbie

Kayak: Outback then a Nemo then a Finn now a Popes Wahoo

Postby redgreg » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:38 pm

130.JPG
old girl
To stay with my rebuilt supa lite X in the surf I have love handles all around her ,and a 12 mm cord tied to the nose and the love handles, plus the rope is out of the way , so when we part I hold the paddle, if the surf is big the ties slaps (40lb mono) witch helps with the recoil and make her turn to face the next wave. with the paddle and rope in the surf that will hold the nose in line. And that is a lot better than the kayak on the beach and you getting nailed out the back as it is a long way home.
cheers greg
Attachments
red supa lite x 002.JPG
the bone yard yak
redgreg

Kayak: supalite x

Postby Sprocket » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:11 pm

redgreg wrote:
130.JPG
To stay with my rebuilt supa lite X in the surf I have love handles all around her ,and a 12 mm cord tied to the nose and the love handles, plus the rope is out of the way , so when we part I hold the paddle, if the surf is big the ties slaps (40lb mono) witch helps with the recoil and make her turn to face the next wave. with the paddle and rope in the surf that will hold the nose in line. And that is a lot better than the kayak on the beach and you getting nailed out the back as it is a long way home.
cheers greg

Niice Mate 8)
Sprocket
Valued Member

Kayak: Prowler elite and Hobie AI

Postby hahn1 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:48 pm

Bungy cords are the way to go, haven't lost a paddle for a while
hahn1

Kayak: raider 4m

Previous

Return to Safety