Electronics • Lowrance Elite 5 HDI and set-up, battery, etc questions

Sounders, Shark Shields, and other electronics

Lowrance Elite 5 HDI and set-up, battery, etc questions

Postby jmc » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:43 pm

G'day, All,
Seeking your thoughts and advice and trying to avoid mistakes that others have learned from if I can!

I am completely new to sounders GPS etc. I have seen the Lowrance Elite 5 HDI and can get it with Navionics Gold for $800,.... (Any better prices any aware of, with Australian specs, maps and metric aot imperial ?)
But this does not include a battery or charger or installation kit which I understand is needed for an in-hull installation.

How do you know what battery to get, where to get it from, and how to protect it in the yak from salt water and resulting damage. Also whate charger to get and where from? What additional cost does all this add on on top of the initial $800?

Hoping to mount on an AI,.... which brings added water ingress risks?

Any help appreciated!

Jim
jmc

Kayak: Revolution

Re: Lowrance Elite 5 HDI and set-up, battery, etc questions

Postby jmc » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:24 pm

Thanks Alex, a lot to decide on there, thanks for the info. These LiPo batteries what are they,... And what's the potential problem?
Jim
jmc

Postby Cresta57 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:56 pm

BCF have the Lowrance Elite-5 HDI Combo for sale at $659 inc the Navionics XL9 Gold Chart. You could then get a hobie sounder install kit with the cash you saved & the battery comes with the kit. For a few extra bucks [$23.00] you could get the hatch mounting for the battery & install the whole thing in the rear hatch. I just did this with my outback as my old install was a simply box silicone sealed inside the hull. I was going to buy a gear bucket & install the battery in it but the gear bucket & the proper holder were the same price.
Sean
Ò¿Ó
Cresta57

Kayak: Hobie Mirage Outback

Postby jmc » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:55 pm

Thanks fellas, good advice here... Much appreciated!
Jim
jmc

Return to Electronics