Electronics • Gray scale v colour sounders

Sounders, Shark Shields, and other electronics

Gray scale v colour sounders

Postby Couta101 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:12 am

Hi all, I'm looking for a new sounder but am unsure wether to go colour or stick with grey scale. Now before everyone shouts colour colour colour....I need to know how those with colour find reading the screen in sunlight and in sunlight wearing polarised sunnies. My worry here is that polarised sunnies can block out the screen meaning you need to lift your sunnies to see clearly, not somethingi want to do every 5minutes ( I experienced this on a boat )

I'm confident in reading grey scale, they are also cheaper and in the salt that's always a good thing if you need to replace it. So what are your experiences, also I would like to hear from those who have gone from grey to colour screens, good decision or not?

Thanks.
Ciao
Douglas
" Eish.....where da feeesh ek se! "
Couta101
Veteran Member

Kayak: Stealth SupaliteX 2010 and EVO 465

Re: Gray scale v colour sounders

Postby Couta101 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:34 am

Scott, part of my issue is having to fashion a visor, one more piece of shit to carry fit rinse and worry about loosing or breaking, not to mention a fitting solution!

But thanks for your input, I'll wait for a few more responses before deciding.
Ciao
Douglas
Couta101
Veteran Member

Postby BIGKEV » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:02 am

What are you thinking about getting Doug?

I have a Lowrance elite 5 in colour and it's not so much the polarised glasses that cause me problems but the salty film that develops on the screen making it hard to see with the polarised lenses. When the screen is clean I can read it fine, with or without glasses. But when the inevitable splash dries leaving a salty film it is bloody difficult to see with only a minor improvement after lifting my glasses but it is definitely necessary to remove the glasses to see. The problem is nothing dries the crap off the screen, everything I wipe it with on the water just smears it.

I hate moving my sunnies as I have lost at least three pairs over the years now in similar manoeuvres....
Mod Edit
BIGKEV
Legendary Member

Kayak: Profish+Nemo+Stealth Evo 495 - Blue Bagger

Postby Couta101 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:36 am

Kev, I'm thinking in grey scale the echo 150 or mark 4 in colour the echo 300 or the elite 4 so similar models just colour or not. The other thing for me is I reckon the echo screen is a slightly easier read do to not so much size but screen shape.
Ciao
Douglas
Couta101
Veteran Member

Postby Fishane » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:01 pm

Couta101 wrote:Kev, I'm thinking in grey scale the echo 150 or mark 4 in colour the echo 300 or the elite 4 so similar models just colour or not. The other thing for me is I reckon the echo screen is a slightly easier read do to not so much size but screen shape.

I have both the Echo 150 and the 300C. Imho there is no comparison, the 300C is much clearer, easier to read and gives a lot more information on the bottom and fish, weed etc than the 150 can. I mainly have the 150 as back up, but if the 300C packed it in I wouldn't bother with the 150 for long before I got a replacement colour sounder.
Fishane

Kayak: yak

Postby WayneD » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:43 pm

Last time I bought a sounder I went through the same process. I ended up going with what had the best screen resolution as it was more important to me than colour or greyscale as I wanted to see clearly under the water, not above it. I ended up with a Lowrance Mark 5 Pro which was greyscale but much better resolution compared to what was around in colour back then, but that was 3 years ago.

Mantra Kayaks Pro-Staffer

Adventure Outlet supporter.

Kayaks I've owned: Espri x 2,Nemo x 2,Tempo,Profish,Predator,Outback x 3,Revo,Swing x 2,Adventure,Loon,Superlite x 5,Superlite X,Sprite,Noa x 2,Coosa,Tarpon120,Acadia370,Aspire100.
WayneD
Legendary Member

Kayak: Lots

Postby jbonez » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:43 pm

Anytime after sunrise on a bright day my sounder is a squint if the sun is behind me, its an elite 4, even on white / blue / whatever colour, sunglasses or not. It needs a cover or relocation.

I am with BIGKEV on the moving sunglasses thing they are my number 1 thing to lose on the kayak and owe me more than my sounder since January 2013.
Jarrad
jbonez
Valued Member

Kayak: Stealth Evolution 495 - The Slag.

Postby Couta101 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:17 pm

Thanks for the replies, well I think I may be tending toward the 300 as it seems to get good reviews from you all. One off my worries with the lowrance is the card slot and the amount of bunging up it needs, not my idea of fun. My 100 has served me really well and will live on the superliteX as its used less, so garmin is winning this race unless anyone can really sway me another way.
Ciao
Douglas
Couta101
Veteran Member

Postby Kahuna » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:32 pm

I had a Garmin 300c, now using the echo 300c. I've found them great in the sun. I tend to use the blue background and adjust the brightness if fishing early morning or at night.
Kahuna

Kayak: Hobie Outback

Postby redgreg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:33 am

Ha ha you have made my day Salti
redgreg

Kayak: supalite x

Return to Electronics