Electronics • HDI or DSI or Normal?

Sounders, Shark Shields, and other electronics

HDI or DSI or Normal?

Postby Stealthfisha » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:41 pm

Ok my cable has finaly died due to corrosion on my old lowrance X67C....

From my limited knowledge I think I know the following....
HDI is a DSI in disguise. ?..
DSI is DSI?
Normal is just plain normal....

From what ive read and heard anything with a card slot or door will ultimatly fail if submerged....which aint good
Also anything with Down Scan Imaging will not work well in a stealth EVO
So im lead to believe to better stick with a normal non DSI sounder and a non chartplotter function.....this allows me to then submerge it on occasion and also have a nice clear signal with thru hull mounting right?

ive tried to search for a new cable being a wsu h something something....at $75 id rather buy a new sounder....

can someone correct me and guide me in the right direction.....I dont want side scan but I do want a lowrance elite 4 hdi....onoy $169....but from what ive seen this is a Down Scan Imaging devise that does not like stealth kayak installs?

please advise....id really like a chart plotter function for getting home in the dark and navigating the port augusta & coorong channels at night.....
Stealthfisha
Elite Member

Kayak: yak

Re: HDI or DSI or Normal?

Postby YakDonga » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:17 am

I cant give you advice on the setup in stealth but I have just bought a Elite 4x HDI. Its got no GPS and does both down scan and normal sonar. You can buy these with different transducers, either just a standard transducer (which wont allow you to do downscan) or the 'Hybrid' transducer, which allows both. at $169 im assuming its the standard, which sounds like what u want. I don't think you will get the Elite 4 combo for $169 tho? Im pretty sure the Elite 4x HDI and Elite 4 HDI are the same except the 4 is a sounder/gps combo. They were around the $400 mark when I was looking.

I by no means an expert so if im wrong someone feel free to correct :)
YakDonga

Kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer13 Propel OK Prowler 4.1

Postby damo83 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:58 am

Lazybugger wrote:... HDI just means high definition.

Actually HDI stands for Hybrid Dual Imaging, at least on the Lowrance units it does. Means you get both normal sonar and DSI with the option to overlay the DSI on the normal sonar.

I've just bought an Elite 4 HDI and agree that the seal on the SD card slot doesn't look fantastic. I'll have to look into sealing it up with silicon or something.
damo83

Kayak: OK Prowler Ultra 4.1

Postby Stealthfisha » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:41 am

@ yak thanks mate...did not know this? Good info
@salti yes benjiaka loves his!...and so do a lot of glass owners by the sounds of it....
@lazy understood mate....comes with the territory. I dont think the evo has tasted fresh water before? Heheeh
@damo yep ive hear it can be a weak spot

there is also the now obsolete HDS series that has normal sonar and no broadband....could be an option if ya can find old stock?
its kinda odd some glass boys have issues with the DSI broadband signal but some do not...some have different models?....could it be that the old glass layup of evos was better suited to thru hull mounting as opposed to the double bung up front models of evo and profisha?...just a theory?
Stealthfisha
Elite Member

Postby Stealthfisha » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:42 am

Yes ive heard the same Nez....in all reality if the cable had not corroded during my hiatus (I did not store it clean) I would not have this problem...ive been upside down countless times having fun and the sounder head unit is stillfine but the cost of a cable is irritating me...

common sense says to but a unit with chartplotting capabilities....and I do have a waterproof case for my tablet with navionics app installed ....so maybe I should just get a simplex head unit like the 300c or non broadband lowrance units?
Stealthfisha
Elite Member

Postby Stealthfisha » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:47 am

lowrance x4 and the 4x di units is all I can find?
x4 is a greyscale model for around $100....then it jumps to $170 approx. for the 4x HDI model without the broadband transducer (just a normal one ) as previously decrived here on this thread.....
Are there any stores in OZ that have the old non broadband x4 models I could purchase? it seems to me lowrance is pushing the HDI and DSI models instead of a in between model;?

there is the elite 4 which is non broadband (No HDI or DSI ) model for around $230.....looks simple enough?
Stealthfisha
Elite Member

Postby YakDonga » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:03 pm

Stealthfisha wrote:there is the elite 4 which is non broadband (No HDI or DSI ) model for around $230.....looks simple enough?

is that an old series Elite 4 with gps? If it is for that price Id be checking to see if it comes with a mapping of some sort included.

Remember that the 4x HDI can function as just normal sonar sounder. You can choose what is displayed on the screen, from Sonar AND Downscan, just Downscan, or just Sonar. So the 4x HDI, with standard transducer will be perfect if you don't want Downscan, it will purely be a typical colour screen sonar sounder. The HDI also has a bigger screen than the older DSI model.

Just to clarify, see the screenshot below. This was from my Elite 4x HDI on the weekend. The top half is normal sonar, the bottom is Downscan. BUT you have the option to have the full screen as normal sonar. Easy as.
Attachments
sounder4.jpg
YakDonga

Kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer13 Propel OK Prowler 4.1

Postby Stealthfisha » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:55 pm

There is some cool pics there mate...yes point taken for the 4x hdi.........seems the go with the ability to turn off the down scan etc........
Stealthfisha
Elite Member

Postby hijacker » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:01 pm

salticrak wrote:garmin 300c is all.

+1....in the surf/salt zone keep it simple..northstar(navman)explorer 438
hijacker

Kayak: outback

Return to Electronics