Electronics • Gopro which one?

Sounders, Shark Shields, and other electronics

Re: Gopro which one?

Postby anselmo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:14 am

salticrak wrote:So as my panasonic camera is starting to take pics like a hippie on a bad acid trip and seeing the amazing vids produced by safa and couta101 recently,, i think it is time to get with the program.

For what we do and later on in the year for filming my catamaran slicing thru the briny which model and why would you choose it. I am no techie but with an artistic background i do love a good image etc.
I have asked a few blokes on here and all give good reasons for their choice of black/white/silver 123 blah, blah, blah.

What do i need and what extras to go with it?
Your help here would be appreciated.

Crackalicious

I have the old 720 hero (about 3 years old)
still works great
doesn't have the remote, high frame rate etc if the more modern versions
I don't think theres any particualr diadvanatage to any of the recent models
whatever you choose will do the job, its just whether tyou need the extras that come with each iteration (black is the top of the range from memory)
Must admit to being jealous of the remote that switched on and off!

Like anything though they are out of date when you buy them and there is always a promise of the next one being better
e.g. current rumour is the new one will be smaller, have 4k capability at 30 fps, 1080 at 120 fps, 700mb stills etc LINK or LINK
anselmo
Legendary Member

Kayak: Kkk

Postby Safa » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:28 am

Salti
my vid was done on a standard go pro hero with a battery back pack and gives me about 3:30 hrs I have a hero 3 black aswell it's footage is crisp and has more features etc ,I wouldn't bother about the remote version as this wifi thing chews batteries ,I don't have a battery back pack for it yet and it needs one as it only lasts about 1:45 min without and we generally on the water for at least 3 hrs,also I have read good reports about the Sony one and they priced ok.
I live with fear every day......
but sometimes she lets me go fishing!!!!
Safa
Veteran Member

Kayak: Stealth pro fisha 475

Postby Safa » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:06 am

Lazybugger wrote:Battery power is the biggest issue with the gopro or any of these small cameras. I ran out of power a very annoying 20 minutes before i got that spanish at Noosa. Partly my own fault for not charging the remote enough before hand so that it showed low power when I started it, forcing me to turn wifi off and have it running continuously. But realistically thats what we need to do to get the strike captured.

I use the battery backpack but I'm considering ditching it in favour of a floaty back door, 2-3 spare batteries and a hard quality waterproof case to keep them in. But thats more money that could be spent on fishing gear. I'd rather be a fisherman than a cameraman but sharing the moment is part of the fun too I guess.

I've got the railblaza camera boom 600 and I think this gives you the best number of angle options, easily expanded by adding mounts behind you and in front of the footwells. The headstrap is a nice angle and captues what you are seeing but does get uncomfortable after a while. Also need to consider adding a float to it or tethering it if using it in the surfzone.

Lb the floaty comes with a wide back casing for the extra battery I think?
Safa
Veteran Member

Postby anselmo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:12 am

Northern summer as everyone's best guess
anselmo
Legendary Member

Kayak: Kkk

Postby spottymac » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:22 am

Salti I see another Hoblie AI fisherman is looking at changing from Go Pro to Garmin.
Don't know the price but Garmin make good gear.

Garmin Virb Action Cam

I've been regretting purchasing the Go Pro Hero 3 Black cams soon after I got them earlier this year primarily because they've proven to be highly unreliable ever since. As such they've plagued 2 major video shoots with a plethora of problems ranging from corrupt files to batteries running down unreasonably with a handful of strange buggy and sometimes show-stopping quibbles in between. Not only would the ABT Bemm river video have been a whole lot better if not for this, so to would the upcoming Fraser Island clip. While I remain impressed with the technical specifications of the Go Pro cameras I am dissatisfied with the reliability. Ergo, my search for a more reliable alternative began and I'm hoping that this shiny new Garmin Virb fits the bill.

On paper it's specs are for the most part reasonably close to the above mentioned Go Pro model and in some ways the higher priced 'Elite' version of the Virb surpass it. I opted for the standard version, which boasts the same video specs but doesn't have GPS, Altimeter or heart-rate overlays that can be achieved with the Elite by linking it to other Garmin devices. I didn't need any of that though - all I really need is good quality HD footage at 60 frames per second (FPS) or more. The Virb can only do 60 FPS at 720p, whereas the Go Pro Hero 3 Black can handle that at 1080p, though that barely matters to me because I always render my clips at 720p, regardless of the resolution of the raw footage.

Among various features the Virb offers over the Go Pro cams is in-built image distortion correction, which pretty much eliminates the fisheye style visuals. This is a huge advantage in my opinion; that distorted fisheye perspective is a pet hate of mine for several reasons.

Another great feature not offered (as standard) with Go Pro cams is an in-built LCD screen which allows the user to preview images and videos, which will prove incredibly useful on kayak fishing expeditions. The ability to easily locate and discard unwanted clips will really help in terms of file storage efficiency. Not only will it reduce instances of cards filling up while shooting, but will minimize how many back up cards are required. It also boasts a longer battery life, apparently capable of running for 3 hours on a single charge (thats almost triple that of the Go Pro Hero 3 in my experience). Requiring less recharging not only will this also be useful for expedition use it will also help reduce instances of the battery inadvertently draining while shooting on day trips. It should also mean that with the ability to leave the camera running longer, more of the hook-up moments can be caught on video.

One stand out feature that caught my attention is the fact that they are waterproof (somewhat) without a housing. There is an optional extra housing available for it, but in its naked form it's waterproof rated at IPX7, to a depth of 1 metre (for no longer than 30 minutes). This should be fine for mounted use on a kayak. However the main advantage I expected to gain from this hasn't quite worked out as hoped. I'd hoped that its mic would work out well for audio (given that it wouldn't be enclosed in a housing) but it turns out that not only is the external mic less than average, once fitted to the mount cradle the mic is covered and the audio is even worse (read: useless). There is an external mic adapter available (which I have ordered) that should improve audio quality significantly, but getting this to work on a kayak may very well be more challenging than hoped.

The unit itself is of a solid build - certainly a sturdier unit than most competing products, though its also a little larger and heavier. I can see how this would bother users who intend to wear the cam, but for kayak fishermen like myself who prefer to use mounted cams it shouldn't be much of an issue, if at all. It only has a few operational buttons: Mode, OK, <, >, and a slider switch that operates as a one-button video-on toggle. The LCD screen helps make menu navigation and operation much easier than is the norm with action cams. Setting the Virb up with desired shooting settings is a breeze.

Despite being disappointed in the external audio mic I'm otherwise pretty damned impressed with the Garmin Virb based on my initial impressions and first video tests. I was especially happy with low-light performance, as well as the distortion correction function, which I think makes a world of difference. I love the slider switch to shot video and the LCD screen is a major bonus on top of it all. The standard models comes with a good selection of mounts (including a Go Pro mount adapter, so your favourite Go Pro mount will work to). The Elite model has a bunch of other capabilities that probably won't be of much interest to most kayak anglers, unless they want to share real-time GPS marks during clips (which is a pretty cool idea the more I think of it).

I'll be using the Virb as my primary action cam, mounting it on the forward deck on a Railblaza 150mm camera boom and it will become responsible for most of the deck-mounted footage I shoot in the foreseeable future. The Go Pros will still get used - one Hero 3 mounted at the rear, the other sitting in storage ready to replace the other when it inevitably fails. There's also a Go Pro 2 in the mix, which I have mounted in a dive housing on an extendable monopod for underwater shots. But for now I'm banking on the Virb to be the pillar of reliability that I need, which is precisely why I've mounted it in the primary shooting position. Though I remain disappointed in audio capabilities, its longer battery life, distortion correction, robust construction and ease of use make it a leading contender for me. I'll be putting it to the test over 2 days this weekend, and will update with a report on my findings.
Regards,

Stu

Hobie Adventure, Scupper Pro
spottymac
Veteran Member

Kayak: Adventure Island + Stealth Super Lite

Postby paulo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:32 am

I have all of them and still like my hero 2 the best. The hero 3 has short battery life though you can attach a hero 2 backpack to extend its life. Makes it too bulky if head mounted. It also heeds a > 45mbs write card or it stops mid filming, locks the card and does a host of other things it shouldnt. Some of these problems may/ have been solved in the 3+. I dont have one of those and will likely now move away from gopro.

The sony has a 2hr battery life but has its own issues. Lack of visual indication that its running or not, no battery backpack, can only do wifi from a smartphone app, etc. That said it gives a better picture than any of the gopros imo. I use it in front of me were i can see the screen and turn it on and off. I have the headstrap but its uncomfortable and side head mounted.

I will be looking at the new Garmin Virb next. (Edit: Just saw Stu's post after i hit submit. Looks like another thumbs up for the Garmin)
garmin-virb-action-cam.jpg
garmin-virb-action-cam.jpg (22.3 KiB) Viewed 1851 times

Railblaza camera mount is the best I have used.
Paul
Qld Member - Hobie State Fishing Team
Yak PBs - 60cm Tailor | 72cm Spangled Emporer | 85cm Flathead | 90cm Yellowfin | 75cm Snapper | 85cm Mac Tuna | 2.5m (78kg) Black Marlin | 1.2m Longtail | 1.32m (19.5kg) Kingfish
paulo
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie AI

Postby TheFishinMusician » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:20 am

salticrak wrote:Thanks fellas, keep em coming. Sony you say safa?Will have a gander.

I just bought a Sony, duty free.
Purely for the image quality vs the gopro.
Better price too.
TheFishinMusician
Legendary Member

Kayak: Blatmobile

Postby TheFishinMusician » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:04 pm

kraley wrote:Read this review - its a good summary of what you do and don't get with the gopro vs. the competition.
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-be ... on-camera/

The sony doesn't have better image quality than a Hero3+ by any objective measure - and it has tons of downsides compared to the gopro.

My eyes tell me otherwise.
http://youtu.be/DlUUq7ARJRU
Have a [email protected] this & tell me what you think

Admittedly it's a hero3 black, not a 3 plus.

3.00. [email protected] the snow on the side of the road and the bricks in the tunnel. Sony is nice & clear, gopro is blurry
4.50. Same thing at a faster speed.
8.50 underwater. I'd give it to the gopro
11.45 Xmas lights. Sony has better colors & pulls in more light.

I've only just got home & haven't had a chance to use mine yet so the proof will be in the pudding as it were, but I do have access to some gopros so I'm keen to do my own side by side.

Totally agree with you on the editing side of things, I really need to lift my game in this area.
TheFishinMusician
Legendary Member

Postby paulo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:26 pm

Ken is correct. When I said the sony pic is better it was from my perspective of shooting them side by side and comparing the raw footage. I dont have anything technical to back that up. If anything, the sony over corrects blue (as I see it). Not a bad thing in a water\sea environment.

If your aim is youtube, any of the cameras will shoot at better resolution than you require. With gopro you get the biggest player in the market, most attachments, mature product and likely a bigger r&d budget than the others spend on production. You also get higher frame rates at higher resolutions than most\all of the other players. If your camera has a bug they are also likely to have a firmware update to fix it long before the others do.

Hard to argue against gopro. I just have a bad taste in my mouth after buying a gopro 3. Cant comment on the 3+.
Last edited by paulo on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
Yak PBs - 60cm Tailor | 72cm Spangled Emporer | 85cm Flathead | 90cm Yellowfin | 75cm Snapper | 85cm Mac Tuna | 2.5m (78kg) Black Marlin | 1.2m Longtail | 1.32m (19.5kg) Kingfish
paulo
Elite Member

Postby TheFishinMusician » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:37 pm

Thanks for that, That's a much closer comparison.
The extra resolution on the 3+ could be handy for zooming but did I read that it only does 15 frames at max res? Hardly usable.
Interesting the 3+ still has a more yellowish tint than the Sony although way less and not annoyingly so like the previous model. Still, changeable in post.

Re: post, the Sony comes bundled with thier moviemaker software, which whilst I'm sure it's not as powerfull as final cut or premiere ill have a go at anyway.

Like you say, if you don't get it in the camera in the first place, there's not much you can do anyway.
TheFishinMusician
Legendary Member

Postby spork » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:20 pm

Have a look @ Drift HD too.

http://driftinnovation.com/drift-hd/
spork
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie Revo 13 and Hobie Outback

Postby Safa » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:03 pm

That cam has a good slow motion feature crack ,how does it perform when trolling for Pedro's :)
Safa
Veteran Member

Postby paulo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:27 pm

this none doesn't look too bad either
http://www.thekayakfishingstore.com/p/W ... ideon.html
WASPcam_Gideon.jpg
WASPcam_Gideon.jpg (36.08 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
Paul
paulo
Elite Member

Postby paulo » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:05 am

So Salti, Im in the market for another cam. What are your thoughts on the Garmin cam so far. Battery life, fogging, wifi, run light indicators, charging, frame rate, picture clarity and anything else you love or hate about it.
Not keen on another gopro or sony. Tempted to try some of the cheap knockoffs for the price but expect Ill get what I pay for.
Paul
paulo
Elite Member

Postby scater » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:05 pm

Awwww snap.
Last edited by scater on Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Sam

if you are the type of w$&ker that can't let it go for some reason I'd be more than happy for you to PM me for my address so I can head butt your F$&king face off. Fatbaldkayaker
scater
Legendary Member

Kayak: Pro Fisha 475

Next

Return to Electronics