Electronics • In Depth or Lifeproof or Incipio

Sounders, Shark Shields, and other electronics

Re: In Depth or Lifeproof or Incipio

Postby Ado » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:54 pm

Update on my Incipio.

Pros:
Seems tough.
Love the glass screen.
Leaving the headphone plug unplugged is convenient, yet it's always there if you need it.
Seems truly waterproof (they warrant that in the USA only). I used it in and around a pool the other day. No probs.
Looks good and buttons work well.
Thin, light, stylish (all within limits).

Cons:
It is a permanent case. Too hard to take on and off to be an 'only when required' case.
You need to unclip the base of the case to charge (not really a hassle).
The screen is very slightly less responsive, especially at the edges. Could be a problem for extreme gamers.
The sound quality is good, except for Face Time with speaker.
Picture quality suffers due to extra glass.
The silent button is dodgy. Hard to take off silent and can only be resolved by removing the phone. I don't touch it.
Some non-genuine charger plugs won't fit through the gap in the case.
Touch screen won't work if wet. That makes it useless in the water.
No lanyard connection (stupid). You can hook a very thin lanyard through the bottom hinge.
Adrian
36cm Redfin, 58cm Golden Perch, 35cm Whiting, 38cm Tailor, 42cm Sand Flathead, 62cm Dusky Flathead, 32cm Snapper, 47cm Black Bream, 68cm Salmon, 30cm Flounder, 42cm Frigate Mackerel
Ado

Kayak: Hobie Adventure

Postby Barrabundy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:20 pm

Ado wrote:Update on my Incipio.

Pros:
Seems tough.
Love the glass screen.
Leaving the headphone plug unplugged is convenient, yet it's always there if you need it.
Seems truly waterproof (they warrant that in the USA only). I used it in and around a pool the other day. No probs.
Looks good and buttons work well.
Thin, light, stylish (all within limits).

Cons:
It is a permanent case. Too hard to take on and off to be an 'only when required' case.
You need to unclip the base of the case to charge (not really a hassle).
The screen is very slightly less responsive, especially at the edges. Could be a problem for extreme gamers.
The sound quality is good, except for Face Time with speaker.
Picture quality suffers due to extra glass.
The silent button is dodgy. Hard to take off silent and can only be resolved by removing the phone. I don't touch it.
Some non-genuine charger plugs won't fit through the gap in the case.
Touch screen won't work if wet. That makes it useless in the water.
No lanyard connection (stupid). You can hook a very thin lanyard through the bottom hinge.

Would you buy another one?

I'm in the market for a rugged cover, had a life proof which saved my phone many times but I ended up wearing the rubber off the corners from wear and tear in my pocket.

I'm particularly after shock and dust resistance but some sort of light water protection would be good, not necessarily long term submersion, just enough to save it from a a quick dunk onto a puddle of water.
the kool kids are now hanging at theyakshed.com
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Kayak: theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theya

Postby Ado » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:38 am

So far I'd buy another one.

If using the speaker and mic is imprtant to you (hands free without the headphones) then it's not for you. If picture quality is really important, then it's also not for you. The loss of quality is not dramatic, but I can see it. viewtopic.php?f=91&t=65092
Adrian
36cm Redfin, 58cm Golden Perch, 35cm Whiting, 38cm Tailor, 42cm Sand Flathead, 62cm Dusky Flathead, 32cm Snapper, 47cm Black Bream, 68cm Salmon, 30cm Flounder, 42cm Frigate Mackerel
Ado

Postby Barrabundy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:07 pm

I just bought an Otterbox Preserver for my iPhone 5S. I was about to buy the Incipio until the seller advised me that the 5, 5C and 5S are all different, although the 5 and 5S are the same frame dimensions.

If you have a 5S and are looking for a cover, be aware that not all cases are compatible with the finger print security feature. The Lifeproof case is, the Incipio isn't. Otterbox makes no claims about their case being compatible but many of the reviewers have commented that it does work reliably but maybe not 100%. The seller of the case I bought is making the claim so I'm buying it on the basis that if it is too unreliable I can either return it or just use the PIN as normal.

The finger print feature works through a plastic bag so don't see a problem considering the Otterbox case has a clear cover over the finger scanning button.
the kool kids are now hanging at theyakshed.com
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Kayak: theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theya

Postby Afrayedknot » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:01 pm

Whilst this case won't suit your daughter or everyday life use for either of you, you may find this useful for kayak fishing. I can't remember where I got mine from or how much I paid, probably because I didn't buy it and I stole it from SWAMBO - :shock: Anyway I have convinced myself that my use for it when I go fishing outweighs any other purposes it was supposed to be for!

I haven't used it on the water yet so can't say anything for its durability in the wet (it is apparently depth rated to 10 metres under water), testing it at home I can quite easily navigate my way through the phone using navionics whilst it is in the bag, which is my main use for the iPhone when on the water. The lanyard is also a bonus so it can hang around my neck when I am paddling. For day to day use I don't need any protective case so this pouch suits my needs. It is called CooLock if you think it will be of use to you, pic below. I will take it out with me when I next go fishing and see if it works.
Attachments
image.jpg
CooLock
image.jpg (92.31 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
Afrayedknot

Kayak: Stealth Profisha 475

Postby Afrayedknot » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:46 pm

That Dripro looks the goods, I like the armband feature as i am not so sure I want something dangling from my neck the whole time, add the earphones and you've got some paddle tunes too!
Afrayedknot

Postby Afrayedknot » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:22 pm

Tested the CoolLock pouch on the water today and after about 2 hours of paddling there was a little bit of water in the case, not enough to drown the phone but had I left my phone in the pouch for longer I am sure the moisture in there would have been enough to wreck it. Looks like the Dripro will be my next investment.
Afrayedknot

Postby Ado » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:15 am

kraley wrote:I noticed another thing about my lifeproof case when I was logging those long, largely fishless hours at SWR - under those circumstances it was impossible to dry my fingers - everything on the kayak was wet with rain and saltwater.

Unfortunately, this means the plastic film on the touchscreen doesn't work - making the phone useless for anything except SIRI commands.

Does anyone have the lifeproof NUDE model that uses the phone's own screen instead of theplastic film? How is it on overall ruggedness?

Reports are that the nude is great when it comes to protectio from immersion.

The Incipio has the same problem. When the screen and fingers are soaking wet then the touch screen completelt stops working, rendering the phone useless. But, it certainly doesn't leak.
Adrian
Ado

Previous

Return to Electronics