Postby Squidley » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:40 pm

Thanks Occy! I'll give it a crack :)
Squidley
Elite Member

Kayak: Yellow Emotion Stealth and Revo 11

Re: Lowrance Mark 4 experience

Postby BrendoM » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Occy,
Is the 'Corrosion Buster Pen' what you are talking about from Jaycar? (Only about $18.00)
I need to clean up the plug on my sounder on my Outback
BrendoM

Kayak: Hobie Adventure Island + Hobie Outback

Postby BrendoM » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:23 am

I ended up purchasing one of these from Jaycar over the weekend. Best tool I've ever come across. Now all my batteries and metal lures are clean and shiny :D
BrendoM

Kayak: Hobie Adventure Island + Hobie Outback

Postby Squidley » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:22 pm

I picked one up too but found it too bulky to reach in and scrub the micro SD slot.

I'm almost done manually copying my waypoints into Google Earth in preparation for sending it back cos the slot's dead.

I'm thinking of filling the card slot with dialectric grease so it's protected if/when salt water leaks past that fiddly flap that's meant to protect it. Does that sound sane?
Squidley
Elite Member

Postby jhbc123 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:24 pm

Haven't been offshore, but in Burrill Lake, or Conjola, the GPS doesn't even recognise the lakes. We're certainly not technology ignorant....but I find this GPS hopelessly complicated to operate and set up.....I am disappointed and pissed off. Including card ( Navionics Gold ) & the unit...that's $800 smackers. $ 800 of annoyance and frustration. The Lowrance rep will be next in line for an interogation....the retailer doesn't know much either!

I guess I will have find someone locally who can help with this unit. I don't think I would recommend buying a Lowrance GPS to anyone. I've had a few GPS units for the car and are simple to operate, are chartplotters different?
jhbc123

Kayak: Malibu Stealth9 C-Kayaks HOBIE Revo 13

Postby jhbc123 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:33 pm

RE my last post, previous one....showing my ignorance..., I have since learned that GPS for cars are a bit different, and the mapping is probably more "sophisticated", if that's the right word, I didn't realise that naval charts are exactly that....charts which have been plotted & "documented" by naval navigation, hence little waterways like Burrill Lake etc. are not on the "map" so to speak, because the "Navy" simply hasn't gone there. Still learning......
jhbc123

Kayak: Malibu Stealth9 C-Kayaks HOBIE Revo 13

Postby Squidley » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:03 pm

I capsized last week and I think it's dead. The SD slot cover is a problem on this model, doesn't seal well at all. I should have gummed it up with marine goop.
Squidley
Elite Member

Previous

Return to Electronics